Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: redundant  (Read 3218 times)

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GOBLINS REALLY WANT ME DEAD
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 11:54:57 am »

Hey! You sigged me!

I don't get sigged often. I'm going to go and get wasted, hire some cheap hookers and mix some Fisherman's Friends with LSD, so that when I start dropping it, I'll see in all the colours of the Mint Rainbow!

OMG, you sigged me! Lets go get wasted together!

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 12:02:09 pm »

Two reasonably skilled and armoured axedwarves with shields could rout that siege. Seriously, steel makes dwarves able to kill infinity non-lasher siegers. Even with lashes, shields will usually keep em safe too. 

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 12:18:15 pm »

I love cage traps, I'm currently building an arena to have everything fight to the death at once.

It's genesis mod, so 20 OP Elephants, 16 snake men, 24 Illithids, 10 chimps, 14 gorillas, 10 other apes, and 58 various goblinoids and dread trolls.  All weapons and armor have been removed, for a fairer fight. I predict the Illithids will rack the most kills.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 12:19:56 pm »

I think I'll dump socks in to make it more interesting...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 12:33:10 pm »

Goblins are very unimpressive fighters. The only ones that you should worry about are the Warlords and Elite Bowmen.

I once got through adventure mode easily killing bogeymen, quest monsters and cave creatures. But though I could take a goblin army its leader was too strong for me to even cut. And he defeated me with his entire army decimated.

As for the Elite Bowmen archery has been toned down alot and they don't hurl death so much anymore ( Unless they hit the right part but if you have good armor it's kinda unlikely, especially if you really train your dwarves. )

To be honest normal bowmen are only good for civillian dwarf slaughtering now, assuming your millitary is in full iron/steel. But the random number generator is always ready to be a douchebag.

If I were you I'd get some devoted hammerdwarves in some excellent armor. They should make short work of the goblins, as they don't get stuck ins very often ( Which is often a killer in large numbers of enemies, dwarves aren't too smart. ) and they break bones easily, if you have a good hammer for each of them they can cripple most goblins on the first hit unless the goblins are in some seriously good armor, but even then they're unlikely to escape an ass kicking. You can't guarentee you'll have no casualties but it's war, people die.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 12:39:29 pm »

a tip: create moats filled with water 2-3 pieces wide around your fortress and bait animal just next to it .. so when they come on their amphibious mounts they drown their riders big time ... and after that the war animals usually just wander off

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 12:41:45 pm »

Goblins are very unimpressive fighters. The only ones that you should worry about are the Warlords and Elite Bowmen.
And the friggin' lashers.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 12:41:59 pm »

I would advise axes over hammers. An axe can get stuck in a gobbo, theoretically, but the tend to just cut chunks off (and by chunks, I mean their upper body). Hammers rarely ever kill quickly, leaving your soldiers exposed to more attacks and more chance of a lucky hit taking them out. Besides, steel axes make it through any armour a gobbo would have, making hammers kinda pointless.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 12:46:51 pm »

I would advise axes over hammers. An axe can get stuck in a gobbo, theoretically, but the tend to just cut chunks off (and by chunks, I mean their upper body). Hammers rarely ever kill quickly, leaving your soldiers exposed to more attacks and more chance of a lucky hit taking them out. Besides, steel axes make it through any armour a gobbo would have, making hammers kinda pointless.

+ unleashing one or 2 full squads of legendary axemen is fun to watch ... annoying to tidy up but definitely very fun to watch *flying bodyparts everywhere*  :D

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 03:41:23 pm »

Yeah in 40d I unleashed 15 champions on 45 gobbos. Beautiful. Especially because most of them are sworddwarves or axemen. The remainder are spear and hammer dwarves because variety is the spice of life. I have a screenshot but the forum can't host it.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 04:37:48 pm »

I disagree. Each kind of weapon has a niche role that it fills, and over specialization is never a good thing. Hammerdwarves will smash apart everything they come across, and in concert with spear or axedwarves really bring a fighting force together.

Though its easier just to go with lashers.

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 04:49:56 pm »

Well, my siege got me. The dead marksdwarves set off a tantrum spiral. It was mildly fine, until my new squad picked up their weapons. One of them tantrumed, with a silver hammer. I think 7 or 8 died from that guy alone. The mayor was destroying his stuff, my food production was actually miraculously unharmed, and I was scrambling to make a prison when I discovered a dwarf with pretty much his entire body bruised. He was ecstatic, by the way, because he had gotten a lesser punishment.
I also fed my newb military (including the jerk with the hammer) to the goblins, by moving them on the other side of my moat and pulling the bridge back up. I killed a voracious cave crawler, they killed 10 dwarves. heh, those goblins are trapped there forever too.

I tried reclaiming as well. I get there, and my giant bar and food stockpiles coat the outside. Oh yeah, and the siege was still there and still hostile. Got bigger too. Had a handful of trolls right to my wagon at the re-embark, along with more goblins. They didn't even fight each other.

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
Re: redundant
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 06:43:26 pm »

awful
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:52:43 pm by Kearn »
i like goats

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 07:06:16 pm »

And the friggin' lashers.
I've never gotten anything to work right as a lasher on adventure mode, I always end up as cubed meat before I end up with skull-caving goodness.

so basically the question in this thread is

will goblins cease to exist if i kill leader??
No, they will still try to murder you.

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
Re: redundant
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 07:21:39 pm »

shame
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:52:52 pm by Kearn »
i like goats
Pages: 1 [2] 3