Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1392 1393 [1394] 1395 1396 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1979250 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20895 on: July 31, 2021, 10:12:37 am »

https://youtu.be/T6JFTmQCFHg
... wait, why is that in the terrified thread? Music's itself is fairly meh but the animation's kinda' adorable.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20896 on: July 31, 2021, 10:22:12 am »

I linked a short film based off of the "they're made out of meat" short story. Share what you're looking at, please? :p Because either you made a mistake or that link is doing something strange.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20897 on: July 31, 2021, 10:28:42 am »

oh, whoops

yeah, I clicked off of it like immediately and forgot the first step (frumple really needs a nap)

Thought you had linked this instead.
Ask not!
Ask!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20898 on: July 31, 2021, 11:45:45 am »

Oh yeah, I've seen that one before, it's cute. If you haven't, watch DOUBLE KING. :3

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20899 on: July 31, 2021, 12:18:05 pm »

The description was accurate, though we have bones too, not sure if bones would be categorized as meat but IDK what the other creatures were thinking. I noticed we have 7 Star classes, wonder how the other 2 Star classes would be? Are binary stars considered a separate class in the system? A dwarf star? Would gas giants be involved in their system? Neutron stars? Sorry, the story you found was an interesting read and now I have questions

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20900 on: July 31, 2021, 01:57:10 pm »

Oh yeah, I've seen that one before, it's cute. If you haven't, watch DOUBLE KING. :3
On the one hand, yes.

On the other hand, the large swinging bird tits probably could have stood a forewarning. Just, uh. For anyone else that sees the suggestion.
Ask not!
Ask!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20901 on: July 31, 2021, 03:24:02 pm »

It's been a while since I've watched DOUBLE KING and I don't recall what you're referring to.

EDIT: oh right
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 03:34:31 pm by Egan_BW »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20902 on: July 31, 2021, 08:08:53 pm »

oh, batshit insanity, how i've missed you

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20903 on: August 01, 2021, 04:05:57 am »

The moral of the story is the more crowns you wear the more powerful you are.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20904 on: August 02, 2021, 09:49:15 am »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:17:11 am by dragdeler »
let

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20905 on: August 16, 2021, 02:04:08 pm »

So I got to thinking about xenomorph armies (like the xenomorphs from the Alien franchise, or [spoiler alert] the white-spikes from "the tomorrow war") on the way to work this morning and realized that they'd be so much more effective paired with three other weapons deployed simultaneously. A plague tailored to the dominant intelligent species to distract and weaken them would do nicely. The xenomorphs can of course distract them militarily and wipe out the planets large fauna for food. A locust or fungus sort of organism that consumes the planets vegetation and small fauna would eliminate any agriculture, and a leech/crab like aquatic organism that spreads to reefs and up rivers and lakes by latching onto any large organisms like a remora does and then spreads in every densely populated ecosystem would eliminate the planets major marine ecosystems. Combined, and tailored to survive that particular planets biology or survive on any organic chemistry (like, these four weapons are all adaptable to any environment with liquid water and carbon-based life and can consume any living thing, somehow) you could wipe out an entire biosphere and any intelligences dependent on it and unable to escape in only a decade or two. How would you divert your society to fighting four separate problems simultaneously? If you survived the plague and killed the xenomorphs, you still face an extinction level event from the invasive all-consuming nightmare locusts and crawdads.

It would be just as easy, and probably easier to clean up afterwards, if the aliens just punted a few asteroids/comets at the planet. A pre space civilization like ours would be totally defenseless, and also unable to prove the impacters were sent our way by alien intelligences. They'd just show up on the radar one day and we'd be fucked, not enough left of them afterwards to tell how they ended up on that course, assuming anyone smart enough to figure that out survived.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20906 on: August 16, 2021, 02:09:15 pm »

Adding three genocide-class WMDs is going to make things far nastier.

Meanwhile, diverted asteroids and such are a lot harder to use than you'd think. Braking or acellerating that kind of mass is an enormous energy expenditure, and you could get much the same results with pushing a portion of that energy into a regular missile.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20907 on: August 16, 2021, 04:23:46 pm »

True, but if you're an interstellar civilization prepared to wipe out some primitives, it's probably still cheaper than a military campaign and doesn't risk retaliation or attempts to intercept your missiles.

Plus if another civilization asks "did you just glass those guys!?" You can just say "nope they got hit by a rock, not my fault"
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20908 on: August 16, 2021, 04:43:08 pm »

There's a WH40k copypasta about the issue.  It's still pretty funny, although it leans more on the extravagant inefficiency of the Imperium rather than the actual logistic issues of moving a space rock.  What I didn't realize is that it's official Games Workshop content printed in White Dwarf over 20 years ago...  :o

They mainly complain about it being slower than just sci-fi-driving up to the planet and dropping sci-fi bombs, which is a bit unfair.  Also the expense of defending it against defensive operations, which would be... "very tricky" for our space programs to mount (I would guess not impossible, but we'd need time and information and some brave volunteers).

I had to rewrite this paragraph a couple times as I learned things, the asteroid belt is wider than I thought!  Apparently the "average" asteroid is about 2AU from the sun (we're 1AU) but a lot have orbits pretty close to Mars and us, so their estimation of 2 months isn't so wild.  They just need to find the right one to nudge, one already pretty close to Earth... so it'd be approaching "slowly" enough that we'd see it coming for a while, but its entry would still be plenty disastrous!  just like FF7

Anyway, it's a pretty funny post that sums up as: Accelerating a rock is a waste of precious time when we can (apparently) FTL to within a couple days of the planet and drop inexpensive megaton ordnance on it.  If you can spare a thruster and a year or two though, it's surely one of the cheapest (and sneakiest?) methods.

Ninja'd
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20909 on: August 16, 2021, 04:45:24 pm »

True, but if you're an interstellar civilization prepared to wipe out some primitives, it's probably still cheaper than a military campaign and doesn't risk retaliation or attempts to intercept your missiles.

Plus if another civilization asks "did you just glass those guys!?" You can just say "nope they got hit by a rock, not my fault"

I mean, probably the easiest way to wipe Earth clean would be to just park your giant-ass alien space fleet directly in the path of the Earth's sun, and just follow the planet around on its orbit, blocking enough sunlight to slowly freeze the planet. Then once all the undesirable life has been eliminated, you just let Earth warm up again and claim it.

Even if we knew what was happening, we're not advanced enough or cooperative enough to actually fight an attack like that.
Pages: 1 ... 1392 1393 [1394] 1395 1396 ... 1420