Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1388 1389 [1390] 1391 1392 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1979042 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20835 on: July 09, 2021, 05:39:08 pm »

Today I learned what happens when you use heating elements on hydraulics.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20836 on: July 09, 2021, 05:50:23 pm »

First google results from a post somewhere titled "Did you know hydraulic fluids can kill?"
Injection injuries may result in poisoning, severe burns, and loss of limbs. Inhaling toxic fumes because of burning hydraulic fluid may cause respiratory or nervous system damage, such as lung disease, asthma, or chronic bronchitis.

Please do not set hydraulics on fire.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20837 on: July 09, 2021, 06:52:16 pm »

Today I learned what happens when you use heating elements on hydraulics.

Did it involve small trains on incline planes?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20838 on: July 09, 2021, 06:52:21 pm »

It probably depends on the hydraulic fluid. I mean, water can be a hydraulic fluid. You'd have a hard time setting it on fire.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20839 on: July 09, 2021, 07:53:36 pm »

That is why around sensible things like food you won't have hydraulics but pneumatic systems, which in case of failure only sprays compressed air and perhaps shrapnel...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20840 on: July 09, 2021, 08:02:48 pm »

Pneumatic systems can also spray oil.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20841 on: July 10, 2021, 01:40:56 am »

Just fill it with olive oil and it'll be fine around food.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20842 on: July 10, 2021, 12:40:17 pm »

There was a piece of metal wrapped around a hydraulic tube. We had to use a grinder to get it off.

This was successful in both removing the piece of metal, and also exploding the tube.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20843 on: July 11, 2021, 01:57:25 am »

What was the hydraulic tube on, also I feel safe in assuming the metal wasn't supposed to be there.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20844 on: July 11, 2021, 10:30:08 pm »

Tomorrow morning is gonna be my first 'real' day of work, at my job being an at-home Customer Service Rep. It has me a bit anxious, considering that, from what I've experienced thus far, the job has a habit of throwing me people that are just difficult to help, and I'm not perfectly fluent in the software they have me use despite more than a solid month of learning about it, and the supervisors have several methods of monitoring and spying on us while we work, which they do a lot and frequently prod us to hurry up if we're taking a bit too long. I wish this software was just a bit friendlier, I've been using computers all my life and I'm still dying of frustration trying to get it to do what I want, while simultaneously speaking with a customer and conjuring up reasons why I'm taking so goddamn long to do something that should be simple. And there's this kinda 'quality assurance' style script they'd like us to stick to, even when it feels really stilted and awkward, especially when I get a customer that's in a hurry and doesn't give a fuck, which is often. This turning out to be more stressful than I originally thought it would be.

I suppose it will be alright, but I'll need some luck and pluck.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #20845 on: July 11, 2021, 10:35:11 pm »

Spoiler: Luck and Pluck (click to show/hide)

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.

Godspeed, Joshua, you'll make it just fine! If people are difficult, it's not a reflection of your service or compassion, some people just suck like that.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20846 on: July 12, 2021, 02:35:07 am »

If supervisors weren’t scrying you, you could probably tell the customer that they hired you before you got a full grasp of the software. If I was your customer, I would understand

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20847 on: July 12, 2021, 09:00:02 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 12:43:23 pm by dragdeler »
let

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20848 on: July 12, 2021, 09:43:39 pm »

Man dragdeler, hopefully whatever has or has not happened works out.

I'm having some more mixed feelings about my new job. In that it's the first job where I have an actual real and tangible control over other people's lives. True, I'm pretty much just being reactive to the needs and foibles of my customers, but I'm the one making the judgments and pushing the buttons. I really want to help the people calling in, and sometimes I can, and sometimes I'm too incompetent to really do that, and sometimes I've looked over the evidence and concluded that I have to tell them I can't help them and they'll just have to be unhappy about it.

It just doesn't feel right taking actions that create tangible changes in people lives. It feels fundamentally wrong. I'm very used to being and feeling like a pissant, too lonely and powerless to ever make any real change on the world or my own life. It just doesn't seem right to have that position altered and to give me (albeit very limited) power over other peoples' lives; for good or for bad.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20849 on: July 13, 2021, 06:40:00 am »

a
« Last Edit: August 19, 2024, 12:43:33 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 1388 1389 [1390] 1391 1392 ... 1420