Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1340 1341 [1342] 1343 1344 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1978089 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20115 on: January 30, 2020, 11:43:06 pm »

Hey TV since you're all going to die of coronavirus anyway mind gifting your steam account to me?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20116 on: January 31, 2020, 12:08:35 am »

Hey TV since you're all going to die of coronavirus anyway mind gifting your steam account to me?
Have a game you really want?
I need my steam account for when I’m inevitably put into a negative pressure quarantine zone by the CDC

Time to quarantine Coronavirus discuss to here
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:17:41 am by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20117 on: January 31, 2020, 12:31:58 am »

I really want Darkest Dungeon 2 but I doubt you have that one.

For that matter, are there any solid rumors about DD2?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20118 on: January 31, 2020, 01:00:44 am »

I hear it is terrifying. Also - maybe - inevitable.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20119 on: January 31, 2020, 01:56:58 am »

It must be stopped with violent force.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20120 on: January 31, 2020, 03:14:10 am »

Great adversity has a beauty - it is the fire that tempers the blade

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20121 on: January 31, 2020, 07:25:50 am »

It is for the best.

Great adversity has a beauty - it is the fire that tempers the blade
You sound like a troublemaker!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20124 on: January 31, 2020, 11:19:49 am »

China’s whole MEGA QUARANTINE certainly didn’t make for good optics
and neither are all the stories about crematorium full of people who died of “totally unrelated deadly pneumonia not related to Coronavirus”

Wuhan jiayou!

Yeah, but that sounds like a complete beat-up about the pneumonia. So they're saying "look a bunch of people 'mysteriously' died of pneumonia - it must be a cover up!"

It's not like pneumonia isn't an extremely common way to die. Look up figures.
https://www.cdc.gov/pneumonia/prevention.html
https://www.thoracic.org/patients/patient-resources/resources/top-pneumonia-facts.pdf

Pneumonia kills about 50,000 Americans a year, and is one of the leading causes of death and hospitalization. Assuming that scales up, China should have about 200,000 pneumonia deaths per year. So yes, there's absolutely nothing mysterious about extremely large number of people with pneumonia dying. It's an extremely common cause of death. Additionally, China is the nation which has the highest percentage of cremations per year. So - extremely common cause of death, in a nation with extremely common cremations. It sounds completely unrelated to the current events.

EDIT: also, you could have a crematorium which is located near a hospital which has an ICU unit. Since hospitals in large cities can specialize more, and pneumonia is a leading cause of hospitalization, while also not being a sudden type of death, so there's time to transfer patients, then a crematorium near a hospital with an ICU unit which specializes in those types of cases may have a very disproportionate number of pneumonia cases among the cremations.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:41:45 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20125 on: January 31, 2020, 11:20:54 am »

If this were a deadly virus, panic would be reasonable.

Coronavirus Live Updates: Deaths Surpass 200, and State Department Urges Against Travel to China

2 hundred? That's almost everyone alive, right?

Um, actually, the world population has exceeded 7.1 hundred people.

Somewhere out in that distance there's seven new people born
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20126 on: January 31, 2020, 02:18:49 pm »

The way I see it, the main worry is that is really virulent and the incubation/contagious period is way too long (I was told, although 2 weeks seems pretty standar for what I know), and by chances lots of pontential vectors went the four directions of the wind all over the globe. Even if it ends up with a meager 0.5% de deadly cases, if it spreads to say, 10.000.000, wich is a conservative figure in a large outbreak, we could end up with 50.000 dead, which is not that large perse but just picture the panic and angst, and while most countries could keep their shit together there are places like my country that are shy of a literal house of cards. Such outbreak here would be just horrible and would finish the colapse of the barely existing/working public health system and even the private one would suffer greatly.

I keep thinking in the indirect deaths due violence thanks to the panic, the people of other illness failing to receive attention thanks to the huge clog or getting infected on the health care facilities (thus being more vulnerable to it) and I picture them as way higher than the virus perhaps in orders of magnitud.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20127 on: February 01, 2020, 10:06:53 am »

@delphonso: I was just reminded of the Chinese Social Credit System. Is this something you really have to worry about? It sounds ridiculous reading the Wikipedia page. I understand you're probably not worried about it at the moment though.

You can disregard the question if it turns out that potentially criticizing your government on a forum is a big bad thing you shouldn't do.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20128 on: February 01, 2020, 10:35:24 am »

Not really. I think there's three important things to know before looking at the social credit system:

First, it was started as a project to control corporations and have some sort of trust building for them - both domestically and internationally. It then kind of grew beyond that. It also, has basically not been implemented at all.

Second, travel bans and location restriction are already elements of Chinese society. Criminals lose the ability to travel often, and you're limited on where you can live based on education level (without a university degree, you're basically stuck in your province - as far as your legal registration goes.)

Third, these things don't matter much because laws are weaker here than in the West. There's a level of corruption, favors/guanxi, and expected breaking of laws that exists. It's hard to put into words, but was a bit of culture shock when I first got here. Very few people follow laws solely because they are laws - which I think westerners have been better trained to do.

In short, it's nothing I've concerned myself about. Most people I know don't even know it exists/is in the works. I do worry what other countries would do with a similar system. Credit scores in the US are a reasonable parallel. Imagine if that controlled everything - what a nightmare.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20129 on: February 01, 2020, 11:33:43 am »

If is anything like Venezuela laws are nothing more than a nuance that can be bribed away in most cases.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 1340 1341 [1342] 1343 1344 ... 1420