Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1333 1334 [1335] 1336 1337 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1978267 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20010 on: January 24, 2020, 09:30:17 am »

Nuke it from orbit, its the only way to be sure.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20011 on: January 24, 2020, 10:49:20 am »

It makes sense, DND allows for far more variety in the stories one can participate in

They're certainly weirder stories.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20012 on: January 24, 2020, 11:01:16 am »

Del just saw a videos on twitter about people piled on the hospitals, some on the floor and some even supposedly dead, or people passing out dropping like flies on the streets because the fever.

Those migth be true? Old videos? Exagerations?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:06:49 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20013 on: January 24, 2020, 11:19:11 am »

Just looked into it. Earlier today, Wuhan issued an order that no one can be turned away from the hospitals if they have a fever. Probably those people lying on the floor are people waiting for treatment or diagnosis. The hospitals are packed in Wuhan - which will likely increase the infection chance there. The government are rush building an additional hospital in a week - which they did during SARS too.

No idea about people dropping in the street. Buddy in Wuhan says the streets are basically empty - everyones staying indoors.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20014 on: January 24, 2020, 11:33:10 am »

Some of the stuff I’ve read and seen online is beyond the pale.
15 cities quarantined; about 40 million people
Videos of people collapsing on the street, dying in waiting rooms
10-14 incubation period with high infectivity.
We’re seeing the symptoms of Wuhan travels infected back in December; how many people have they interacted since?
Scattered reports of people showing no symptoms before their lungs get shredded
Rumors that it’s an accidental release of a bioweapon

I may be reading too much into the fear mongering
But I’m scared, really scared.
There’s a real chance of great societal upheaval in the coming weeks

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20015 on: January 24, 2020, 11:57:16 am »

Then you should do honour your name and tame the shit out of it.

Holly crap what if this becomes the spanish flu of our century? Pals please be safe.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:59:50 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #20016 on: January 24, 2020, 03:34:23 pm »

Looking at the numbers (though since it's the PRC, those numbers can be a little suspect) and comparing them to past epidemics, things aren't as bad as they could be. With a population and pop. density as high as they are in China's cities, the quarantines are understandable. It's way too early to compare it to anything like Spanish flu, but caution is what will keep it from becoming such.

Far more dangerous than the virus is the panic it's causing. I'm calling it now: the political turmoil caused by the outbreak will claim more lives than the virus itself will. Even if the government does everything right and contains the outbreak successfully, there will be discontent: people both inside and outside the country, and the media outside, will blame the government for the lives it failed to save.

I'd be very skeptical about the bioweapon theory; one would expect a weapon to be far more lethal than 2019-nCoV has been thus far.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20017 on: January 24, 2020, 03:36:55 pm »

It´s always the same with these scares... you look at the numbers and it´s hard to justify the degree of alarm
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20018 on: January 24, 2020, 04:48:54 pm »

Far more dangerous than the virus is the panic it's causing. I'm calling it now: the political turmoil caused by the outbreak will claim more lives than the virus itself will. Even if the government does everything right and contains the outbreak successfully, there will be discontent: people both inside and outside the country, and the media outside, will blame the government for the lives it failed to save.
Dynastic Cycle is an ingrained concept in Chinese culture
It’s entirely possible the people can view the failure of containment as the CCP losing ‘the Mandate of Heaven’

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20019 on: January 24, 2020, 04:56:58 pm »

No zombies yet. Some scray videos of terrified people - probably traumatized by SARS which was pretty bad. Right now, the coronavirus has a lethality of about 3%. If it mutates and turns more lethal, then all hell will probably break loose.

No problem. Capitalism found a natural home here, for sure - but the bottom isn't unsupported totally. One Child Policy was blown out of proportions, from what I can tell. Everyone I know has siblings, except some Beijingers. The usual punishment was fines for having two kids.

Back on topic, we set off paozhu today - a string of a couple hundred firecrackers. The fuze went off like a shot and the whole thing started to pop when I was basically holding it. Ran off and was hit with a spinning, exploding firecracker blown from the mess. The whole thing popped in about 2 seconds. Normally it's fast, but not like that.

They exploded with such frequency to lift the whole string off the ground like some sort of snake being peppered by gunshots.
Reading this made me wonder if firecrackers are hot enough to denature the coronaviruses in the air

Probably, but that's a case of the cure being worse than the disease. The quantities of fire necessary would remove enough oxygen that living things would also have difficulty.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20020 on: January 24, 2020, 08:04:17 pm »

one would expect a weapon to be far more lethal than 2019-nCoV has been thus far.

Unless that's just what they actually want you to believe and the flu is just the first steep.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20021 on: January 24, 2020, 08:19:27 pm »

one would expect a weapon to be far more lethal than 2019-nCoV has been thus far.

Unless that's just what they actually want you to believe and the flu is just the first steep.

This is what I’ve actually read. The flu is just the cover. You heard how the immunocompromised and the old passed first? Well that’s because those are the ones who would succumb to ‘normal’ flu. Then the payload kicks in and it causes multiple organ failure

China doesn’t stop Chinese New Year celebrations for nothing.
Chinese New Year is a big fucking deal; when all the workers return back to their hometowns and meet family. Billions of people travel during this timeframe

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20022 on: January 24, 2020, 10:19:50 pm »

Yeah, I'm on the numbers side here. Not as bad as SARS, but probably will infect more people due to beginning exposure.

Also, every year, the flu starts here. We have a lot of people, many living in close quarters with animals. Swine flu, bird flu, all that stuff started here. I think it's a bit conspiratorial to think this is anything but the result of that.

The faith in the CCP is strong. SARS was met with incompetence and at the end, the Party was firmly still in control. People panic, they spread fear, but as long as the Party doesn't encourage that, I think they're still fine.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:02:13 pm by delphonso »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20023 on: January 24, 2020, 10:40:14 pm »

What a shock that the nation that pumps out the most pollution by a considerable margin is more susceptible to respiratory illnesses. What a shock that the nation with a history of being susceptible to such diseases managed to get another one.

Nah that can't be it, must be a conspiracy ::)

I guess 2020 is gonna be the year of the doomsday prophecies. First everyone is flipping their shit about WW3, now this. We're not even through January yet.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20024 on: January 24, 2020, 10:48:06 pm »

2020, palms already sweaty.
Pages: 1 ... 1333 1334 [1335] 1336 1337 ... 1420