Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1305 1306 [1307] 1308 1309 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1979197 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #19590 on: December 18, 2018, 05:11:03 am »

You have struck boozestone! Praise the miners!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19591 on: December 18, 2018, 05:17:50 am »

Thing is, some metals actually are toxic, like lithium, mercury and lead. But how do you convince an idiot that though some are toxic, some are critically important? Calling them "organic" works, but apparently the person who figured out that trick didn't actually know their nutritional science. (Putting aside that non-metal elements, such as chlorine, can be toxic, as can organic compounds, such as methanol)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19592 on: December 18, 2018, 07:13:52 am »

A creepy idea I just had: I was checking through old posts, and I noticed that there were "repeated posts", so to speak. AKA: bringing up the same thing in different threads near verbatim. So I had this idea: To what extent could one communicate in this forum using only rehasals of his old posts? Maybe we're not that justified to mock Cleverbot's silliness.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #19593 on: December 18, 2018, 07:25:07 am »

Whose old posts? It really matters a lot if our posts are limited to those of someone like Loud Whispers or those of an escaped lunatic with 5 posts.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19594 on: December 18, 2018, 07:45:59 am »

A creepy idea I just had: I was checking through old posts, and I noticed that there were "repeated posts", so to speak. AKA: bringing up the same thing in different threads near verbatim. So I had this idea: To what extent could one communicate in this forum using only rehasals of his old posts? Maybe we're not that justified to mock Cleverbot's silliness.
Hmmm... this was on page 104 of mine:

I lack the energy and motivation to even compose a proper Sad Thread post. 

The rest of my post was pretty much just me complaining about having to work the next day despite being emotionally exhausted and stressed out of my mind. Pretty much the same dread that is consuming me right now, just not quite as all-encompassing. Also I have clean work-suitable pants to work tomorrow, but am out of deodorant. Two small but significant differences.

Let's dig further back...
...Huh, there's not too much that could be recycled on page 208. There is one bit where I mention energy drink being the only highlight of my morning, which could well describe tomorrow. Also a post talking about my jeans, which I really need to dig out and... scrape the mould off, I guess.   
Nothing I could re-use verbatim right now, though.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19595 on: December 18, 2018, 07:51:30 am »

If I constructed a post telling Goblin Cookie to shut up, I could probably use that and my posts on being miserable to live an indefinite-length life here on this forum.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #19596 on: December 18, 2018, 07:54:41 am »

If I constructed a post telling Goblin Cookie to shut up

Oh you sweet summer child

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19597 on: December 18, 2018, 08:01:07 am »

2016 was a big fucking waste of time, I want a do-over.
Shid. That's pretty much how I feel 'bout this year, 'cept in less-harsh terminology. Do I feel like this at the end of every year...? :-[
Actually no, I was rather fond of 2017. Comparatively. Maybe my years have started to go bad-good-bad-good or something. I guess it beats the traditional bad-bad-bad-bad...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19598 on: December 18, 2018, 08:04:35 am »

2016, 2017, and 2018 have each been progressively more horrible. 
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19599 on: December 18, 2018, 08:21:38 am »

Thing is, some metals actually are toxic, like lithium, mercury and lead. But how do you convince an idiot that though some are toxic, some are critically important? Calling them "organic" works, but apparently the person who figured out that trick didn't actually know their nutritional science. (Putting aside that non-metal elements, such as chlorine, can be toxic, as can organic compounds, such as methanol)

Chlorine is probably the best element to go to.

Point out that chlorine gas is highly toxic, but chlorine is also part of regular salt, sodium chloride, without which you will die, and that chlorine is used to sanitize swimming pools and to clean food-production equipment. So, toxic, but also vital for human life and stopping disease from spreading. It works because just about everyone knows "sodium chloride" is salt.

As for potassium and magnesium, both are critical parts of various chemical systems in the human / animal body, so it's a bit crazy to say they're toxins that must be eliminated.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 08:27:06 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19600 on: December 18, 2018, 09:25:13 am »

It works because just about everyone knows "sodium chloride" is salt.
The problem here is that there's no guaranteed recognition of the connection between "sodium chloride" and "chlorine". Just because chloride and chlorine are extremely similar words and share the same root doesn't mean that people won't mistakenly categorize them as entirely different things and refuse to believe that chlorides are chlorine salts.

I mean, conversely; everyone knows that bananas contain potassium, and that bananas are a Good ThingTM... But somehow we manage to get someone who thinks that the trace potassium in drinking water is somehow toxic and dangerous.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19601 on: December 18, 2018, 02:19:37 pm »

It sounds like they think potassium is a common contaminant that only distilled water can cleanse them of and simply dont understand chemistry or biology on even a basic level. Which is a chronic failing of schools in the US for just doing a bad job of or not teaching it, and youth culture in schools consistently making actually learning anything "uncool" and "for nerds and losers." Thats how it was when i was in school, in all of the eight or so schools i attended across the country, and thats still how my niece looks at doing her homework.

Also the other girl there was doing somersaults in the isles between registers because she feels so good about drinking distilled water and being cleansed of toxins. Im out of my depth here, so im not going to bring it up again with them. Im pretty sure theyre just drinking the water thats labelled distilled because it was once distilled, and then had salts (presumably including potassium and magnesium!) added again. So they probably arent in danger.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19602 on: December 18, 2018, 02:33:00 pm »

Thank god for my Bio class in highschool.

The only thing we took out (aside from mitochondria being the powerhouse of the cell) is that the sodium gates open. And that this explains nearly every biological process above cell level.

This requires potassium in order for the gates to close(?) so they can open and do the thing again.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19603 on: December 18, 2018, 02:40:25 pm »

Nothing terrible will come out of drinking distilled water. It's just lacking minerals, but she's probably getting those from elsewhere in her diet.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19604 on: December 20, 2018, 07:48:29 am »

Nothing terrible will come out of drinking distilled water. It's just lacking minerals, but she's probably getting those from elsewhere in her diet.
Hypotonicity? I mean, you'd probably have to drink a lot.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 1305 1306 [1307] 1308 1309 ... 1420