Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1299 1300 [1301] 1302 1303 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1979133 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #19500 on: October 24, 2018, 02:46:33 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:59:55 pm by dragdeler »
let

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19501 on: October 24, 2018, 04:42:13 pm »

I'm assuming you don't watch youtube much then, right? Every time you click on or don't click on a video, that is feedback to the machine. A click tells the machine that it predicted your preferences correctly and therefore reinforces whatever thought process it used to choose that specific video to put in your recommendations. Not clicking on the video and instead either choosing to click on another one or leaving the website entirely tells the machine that the thought process it used to choose that video to recommend is flawed and needs changing.

As a matter of fact, I decided to click on the video I mentioned previously and the talking points are the exact same ones that my friend mentioned, so I'm assuming he got his ideas from this exact video. It's kind of crazy actually, how someone you know might decide to talk about something and then you stumble upon his source of inspiration. Due to the way popularity works it kind of makes sense but for now at least, that moment still has its magic.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19502 on: October 24, 2018, 04:55:58 pm »

Currently, YouTube's algorithms have been rubbing themselves on me to the point where every single recommended video from a particular clip is some vastly tangential clickbait, none of which is anything I would ever want to watch. The "related videos" portion doesn't even exist anymore, it's just more clickbait related to videos I have never watched.

I'm pretty sure this is just it getting back at me for opting out of so many targeted advertisement cookies.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19503 on: October 24, 2018, 04:58:38 pm »

opting out of so many targeted advertisement cookies.
How did you manage to pull that off? I'm not even allowed to view the website unless I consent (To elaborate, I mean I can't even read an article on a news website unless I consent to cookies)
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19504 on: October 24, 2018, 10:22:20 pm »

I'd rather be spied on by Google/the government than deny myself access to half of the internet.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19505 on: October 24, 2018, 10:38:50 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:59:14 pm by dragdeler »
let

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19506 on: October 25, 2018, 09:44:58 am »

I have a list of songs and albums I enjoy, and if I want to listen to something, I add it to that.  Skip the suggestions completely.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19507 on: October 25, 2018, 04:48:40 pm »

Oh hey, I get that all the time! Usually for me I'll dream about tripping or dropping a plate, something like that. Scares the hell out of my girlfriend when I just violently convulse out of nowhere.
Wait, is that not normal?
I don't know if I get it "all the time", but it's definitely common enough to not be a noteworthy occurrence.   
They're called Hypnic Jerks

And that "brain freaks out cuz it thinks you're dying" thing ... Well, we don't really know what causes them. But that isn't exactly a leading theory.

The leading theory, and one I'm not particularly convinced by but it's better than nothing, is that it's a holdover from when our ancestors slept in trees - the relaxation of the body muscles makes the brain think we're falling, and causes an involuntary twitch to wake us up and assess our situation.

That seems far too trite of an explanation to me, but it's the one you'll find listed at the top most anywhere it's discussed.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19508 on: October 25, 2018, 04:50:46 pm »

I mean, it certainly FEELS like I'm in the act of falling and "need to catch myself", but I always associated that with how the dreams represented me falling over in some way.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19509 on: October 25, 2018, 04:54:35 pm »

I also do too
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19510 on: October 25, 2018, 05:06:13 pm »

I mean, it certainly FEELS like I'm in the act of falling and "need to catch myself", but I always associated that with how the dreams represented me falling over in some way.

Yeah, I'll occasionally feel I'm falling asleep, and my whole body will violently jerk, as if to prevent me from falling. So the theory is plausible at least.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19511 on: October 25, 2018, 05:08:38 pm »

Yeah, I'll occasionally (...) violently jerk, .
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19512 on: October 25, 2018, 05:15:34 pm »

Oh hey, I get that all the time! Usually for me I'll dream about tripping or dropping a plate, something like that. Scares the hell out of my girlfriend when I just violently convulse out of nowhere.
Wait, is that not normal?
I don't know if I get it "all the time", but it's definitely common enough to not be a noteworthy occurrence.   
They're called Hypnic Jerks

And that "brain freaks out cuz it thinks you're dying" thing ... Well, we don't really know what causes them. But that isn't exactly a leading theory.

The leading theory, and one I'm not particularly convinced by but it's better than nothing, is that it's a holdover from when our ancestors slept in trees - the relaxation of the body muscles makes the brain think we're falling, and causes an involuntary twitch to wake us up and assess our situation.

That seems far too trite of an explanation to me, but it's the one you'll find listed at the top most anywhere it's discussed.

I think it is that when we dream we risk falling through the cracks of reality into other planes of existence

Also curse this thing with the new replies that is still going on, I miss things all the time now.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19513 on: October 25, 2018, 05:52:24 pm »

I used to get those twitches all the time. But when I got back in to shape, anecdotally, they stopped.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19514 on: October 25, 2018, 06:00:53 pm »

It is because when you became muscly, you became too big to fall through any of your local rifts in reality.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 1299 1300 [1301] 1302 1303 ... 1420