Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1294 1295 [1296] 1297 1298 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1978936 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #19425 on: October 05, 2018, 04:39:27 pm »

Also I'm almost certain I've developed agoraphobia.
At least it's not Agraphobia; the paralyzing fear of Indians.

"Hello sir, I am calling from Microsoft about your Windows computer"

*Panic attack*
I thought that one was fear of sexual assault?
I remember googling agoraphobia some time ago and seeing a big ol' "not to be confused with" note.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19426 on: October 05, 2018, 04:55:11 pm »

I guess I should clarify, big open spaces started giving me mild to severe panic attacks, especially driving over long bridges and thinking about vast distances like found in space. Thinking about and comprehending the 8 light minute distance to the Sun fucks me right up.

And I don't hate japs.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19427 on: October 05, 2018, 04:56:54 pm »

Don't worry Hans. Everyone knows the Imperial Sun Bears are the allies of Nazi Pandas
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19428 on: October 05, 2018, 05:03:43 pm »

Pretty sure agoraphobia is more of a social phobia.
I think the "wide open spaces" definition of it generally refers to spaces with people in them.

My old shrink specifically described it to me as a "fear of inescapable social situations" with potential for embarrassment or something along those lines.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19429 on: October 05, 2018, 05:54:08 pm »

Well I'm literally afraid of large spaces.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19430 on: October 05, 2018, 07:16:03 pm »

I feel like it's related to the fear of falling?  The night sky in an open field would make me uneasy if I focused on it, like I was going to fall upwards.  Same feeling as being near a steep ledge.  The worst was climbing firetowers though, nngh...  Being at the top of one, feeling it swaying, just felt so *unanchored*.

I used to climb them fairly often with my family, but when I tried again recently I didn't manage it.  I probably could have, but I had nothing to prove and I was extremely uncomfortable halfway up.  The occasional wooden "step" being missing really didn't inspire confidence either.

But yeah, I've got the same feeling by looking up at the sky in a clearing.  Where all I can really see is emptiness and distant stars, no anchoring objects.  I used to dream about floating in vast voids, too...  Sorta falling, sorta just being overwhelmed by an abstract feeling of *scale*, like huge numbers or long times.  Was kinda nauseating.

Definitely beautiful, but alien and overwhelming to one's ego.  The sort of fear common in Lovecraft stories, I suppose.

Edit:  I wonder if I can find a panorama I took from a bare rocky outcrop that was surrounded on 3 sides by drop.  (Not that I want to scare anyone).  They say not to look down, but I couldn't bare to look *up* - I had to keep the stone beneath me in view.  The sight of the ground far below wasn't bad.  But if I looked up, and didn't have my fingers on cold steady rock, it was like I was adrift in the sky.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 07:21:46 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19431 on: October 05, 2018, 07:41:52 pm »

I have occasional times when I realize that there is nothing between me and the universe except a thin sheath of gas, and start to royally freak out.

At the same time, I have occasional bouts of "jesus christ the wals are closing in, need space need space".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19432 on: October 05, 2018, 07:44:19 pm »

THERE'S A GIANT FUCKING MOTH IN MY OFFICE AND INSTEAD OF DOING SOMETHING I AM GLARING AT IT AND TYPING
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19433 on: October 05, 2018, 07:45:25 pm »

I have occasional times when I realize that there is nothing between me and the universe except a thin sheath of gas, and start to royally freak out.

At the same time, I have occasional bouts of "jesus christ the wals are closing in, need space need space".

I mean, it's more than a thin sheath of gas. It's quite a lot of gas. And some magnetism. It's kinda like saying that the only thing stopping you from falling into Earth's magma core is a thin layer of soil.

THERE'S A GIANT FUCKING MOTH IN MY OFFICE AND INSTEAD OF DOING SOMETHING I AM GLARING AT IT AND TYPING

That moth is a royal guest and you should feel honored in his presence.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19434 on: October 05, 2018, 08:15:11 pm »

Just now walked through a big open, completely flat field to board an airplane and felt slightly uneasy. I think it might be because the lack of many discernible features caused me to lose perspective of distance.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19435 on: October 05, 2018, 08:19:27 pm »

I mean, it's more than a thin sheath of gas. It's quite a lot of gas. And some magnetism. It's kinda like saying that the only thing stopping you from falling into Earth's magma core is a thin layer of soil.

By the standards of infinity, which is the standards that provoke this issue, it's pretty thin.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19436 on: October 05, 2018, 08:23:27 pm »

By the standards of infinity, which is the standards that provoke this issue, it's pretty thin.

The only thing that separates you from the nearest black hole that can absorb your body and erase you from existence down to the molecular level is a thin layer of vacuum only a scant 27,000 light years thick.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19437 on: October 05, 2018, 08:37:29 pm »

Sorta this. Like, I feel fear of falling out or up quite a lot, like vertigo. But I am also terrified of heights. I guess I'm afraid of unplanned excessive acceleration due to gravitic or physical forces outside my control. Gravitophobic
He's fucking with us.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19438 on: October 05, 2018, 08:47:07 pm »

The only thing that separates you from the nearest black hole that can absorb your body and erase you from existence down to the atomic level is a thin layer of vacuum only a scant 27,000 light years thick.
I think a black hole can rip your molecules into individual atoms.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19439 on: October 05, 2018, 09:05:51 pm »

The only thing that separates you from the nearest black hole that can absorb your body and erase you from existence down to the atomic level is a thin layer of vacuum only a scant 27,000 light years thick.
I think a black hole can rip your molecules into individual atoms.

IIRC the atoms get crushed further, the gravity overcoming the strong nuclear force between the atomic components and they all get mushed into neutronium. Atleast, that's what neutron stars are made of, we can't observe what a black hole is made of, but I'd imagine it's something similar.

/bracingmyselftogetcorrected
Pages: 1 ... 1294 1295 [1296] 1297 1298 ... 1420