Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1286 1287 [1288] 1289 1290 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1978687 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #19305 on: September 25, 2018, 06:07:21 am »

VOLCANO WORK EVERY TIME
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19306 on: September 25, 2018, 06:20:13 am »

Ah, it was the 1783 Iceland eruption I was thinking about.

https://www.economist.com/christmas-specials/2007/12/19/the-summer-of-acid-rain

Ah, it turns out the main culprit was hydrofluoric acid in that case. They had burning first, the freezing due to the SO2, then it rained hydrofluoric acid, not SO2-based acid, though that's also a problem for other reasons.

We've still got to worry that out population could collapse due to a series of super-volcano eruptions like they had around 1815, the so called "year without summer". That could make our emissions problems seem quaint if another event of that magnitude occurs. Though, that could solve some of our resource problems if it wipes out enough people :P
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:22:00 am by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19307 on: September 25, 2018, 09:56:12 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:41:02 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19308 on: September 25, 2018, 10:30:22 pm »

I hate to say this Drags, but the sad reality is that at current levels of resource consumption and waste product generation, there really are too many people on the planet.

If there is to be a mass die-off, I would rather that it be due to a natural catastrophe than a mass government sponsored culling (of any sort).  Nature at least does not care who it targets, and does not react favorably to being told no. (see also, the rise of resistant microbes, cause by the worlds more wealthy abusing antibiotics for bullshit reasons.)

when humans try to be the arbiters of such judgment, it is always for political reasons, that somehow always seem to miraculously spare the wealthy and influential. (rolls eyes)

You can have all the righteous indignation you want at the prospect of considering the world overpopulated, and insist that nitrogen fertilizer is perfectly sustainable when it really and truly is not--  but that wont change the face of reality, as it does not care how angry you get at it.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19309 on: September 26, 2018, 12:01:31 am »

Not really, we are just bad at organizing stuff, there is not technical limitation to fixing it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19310 on: September 26, 2018, 12:04:48 am »

Not true.

The "We can feed everybody right now, we just suck at distribution!"  statement blindly ignores that the statement is predicated on the sustained use of nitrogen fertilizers, which has several decades of data showing it is not sustainable, and causes catastrophic depletion and desertification of cropland over time.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19311 on: September 26, 2018, 12:16:41 am »

We also vastly over-provide food to some populaces and under-provide to others, invest too much in over-processed luxury items and livestock, and throw away a disgusting proportion of what is produced.

There's immense potential for the human race to reduce resource consumption and waste without reducing population or giving up very much quality of life, and food is a great example.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19312 on: September 26, 2018, 02:33:11 am »

Breweries in Norway are suffering because there's currently a fairly significant CO2 shortage... I say we get two birds stoned at once and throw beer at the sky until it absorbs the atmospheric CO2 and rains back down, bringing the fizzy goodness back to earth.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19313 on: September 26, 2018, 05:44:43 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:40:10 pm by dragdeler »
let

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19314 on: September 26, 2018, 05:46:04 pm »

I hate to say this Drags, but the sad reality is that at current levels of resource consumption and waste product generation, there really are too many people on the planet.
Nnooope. Even if you kill off the bottom 80 percent of the population (bottom in terms of resource use) the resource usage wouldn't be impacted much at all. [src] Which means that, since the effect on resource usage is not changed by such a population change, population doesn't actually have an effect on resource usage. Or if it does, it's a minor and probably negligible impact, considering you only cut it by 25% from a cull of 80% of humans.

It's not the population that's the problem, it's the overall distribution (some use way too much while others use barely any at all) and the usage of a small elite cohort at the top of the graph. "Trimming the population" would do nothing at best or make the problem bigger at worst, through various mechanisms. Not least of which is the remaining population (who, let's be honest, is gonna be the rich fucks. I.E. the ones using too many resources) are gonna go "Hey, more for us!" and then use EVEN MORE than they were before. Not to mention the impact of the actual culling mechanisms; you gotta kill 'em somehow. And even if you could Thanos them dead in a second, you'd still have problems just from the loss of people.

Not to mention that that bottom 80% of the population tends to live in Africa and Asia, and 'we have too much population!' has historically and continues now to be disguised systemic racism at best, out-and-out personal racism and hatred of the 'lesser races' at worst.

E: If any of you have an hour to kill, this video goes into the history and current state of population, resource usage, and the historical and current state of the 'we have too much population!' argument. And yes, it's sourced, his sources are in the description and peppered through the video if you want to argue the facts he used.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:01:02 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19315 on: September 26, 2018, 05:49:27 pm »

No Descan! We clearlyhave to eat the poor! It is the only way!

And I mean literally eating the poor! Over a glass of chianti!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19316 on: September 26, 2018, 05:52:40 pm »

The video I linked also has better sources than the graph I half-remembered and found through a cursory google search, btw. So don't take my little 2 second googling to be indicative of the effort that Peter bloke put into making his argument.

Also I think he does mention the whole 'eating the poor' thing too :v
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:00:10 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19317 on: September 26, 2018, 05:56:50 pm »

That's because the poor are tasty! Lean meat!  Peter knows!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19318 on: September 26, 2018, 06:50:47 pm »

We have a ridiculous amount of unused arable land in the US.

It's something like 6-7% of our land even being inhabited or developed at all, including farmland according to google. If we wanted to the world could produce enough food to feed us all, but humans being what we are this would simply result in like 10 people having extra mountains of food they won't share, because immigrants or something.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19319 on: September 26, 2018, 07:41:47 pm »

I have my phone, on a third charge, and I'm eminently aware of how little it reveals at minimum brightness.

My familiar room, which I know in both light and dark, but not this... eerie stillness, with rain and distant thunder rolling.

Dog just started howling down the way. An incessant voice coaxing them inside. An argument now.  In the rain.

I  just hope the rain continues. I fear the sound of silence. As xkcd says, it starts with the natural whine/tone. Rain drowns it out. No incessant buzzing. No dark dreams.
No visage of yourself, mouth open, buzzing
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 1286 1287 [1288] 1289 1290 ... 1420