Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1978673 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #19275 on: September 13, 2018, 01:16:37 pm »

Social media does embolden people to reveal their most toxic thoughts and fight with others about them, but those thoughts are still with them as they go about their meatspace lives, and still manifest there often enough.  Its not a social media problem, imo, unless we start getting into theory about social media making toxic ideas more contagious.

I asked my 13 year old kid if he's ever exposed to this stuff through girls his age, and if he knows what their prevailing perspectives are on it.  He said most people his age find the whole thing silly, but there is one aggressively self-identifying feminist girl in his class who gets verbally abusive a lot and yelled at him about how he's probably a rapist once because another girl dropped something and he picked it up for them.  There's going to be crazies in any group.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19276 on: September 13, 2018, 01:24:42 pm »

Kids pick up a lot of behavior from their parents, too. In a lot of funny little ways.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19277 on: September 13, 2018, 02:48:05 pm »

Social media does embolden people to reveal their most toxic thoughts and fight with others about them, but those thoughts are still with them as they go about their meatspace lives, and still manifest there often enough.  Its not a social media problem, imo, unless we start getting into theory about social media making toxic ideas more contagious.

The problem with this line of thinking is that many of these toxic thoughts are inherent to everybody. Emotionally healthy people can suppress them easily enough, often to the point where they don't even realize they're having to do it, but the thoughts are still there. The notion that social media lowers the bar for expressing them, which also lowers the bar for suppressing them, has merit.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19278 on: September 13, 2018, 03:17:58 pm »

A friend gave me their old smartphone for my birthday.
It's completely alien to me, I am a computer and mobile refrigerator ancient phone kinda guy, never had a smartphone.
Just managed to connect it to wifi, and my pc internet connection died. "No DNS server"....
Took me a while to figure out I needed to change network settings from 'public' to 'private' on my pc to get the internets back.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19279 on: September 13, 2018, 03:27:57 pm »

Smartphones are weird, and they come along trailing so much useless junk, but you get used to them and find uses for some of their features. Also people insist on your having at least one.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19280 on: September 13, 2018, 03:45:02 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:33:02 pm by dragdeler »
let

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19281 on: September 13, 2018, 05:16:31 pm »

I have an original green screen, blue and gray, genuinely invincible Nokia brick in my drawer. Still works perfectly if I can get service provider for it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19282 on: September 13, 2018, 09:35:27 pm »

EDIT: So I decided to finally read the article and I think you are slightly overblowing it. The female author is very condescending but never does she mention toxic masculinity. She occasionally talks about men being genetically predisposed to being less organized and she blamed a few things on the Y chromosome, but she isn’t calling a crusade for the death of men like some people I know.

i wasn't really referring to that one article, it was just an example. I was referring to the mass of articles you get when googling "ghosting men" which are nearly universally articles how it's a guy thing.

If the top google hits aren't about how it's toxic masculinity, that's only because these are the mainstream hits that exclude activists. These are just from the banal dating-advice columns of major publications.

Remember the above are just the first page hits from googling "ghosting men" and not from making any real effort to search for this stuff. Google "ghosting feminism" and you get the hard-liquor variety. I remember reading this article a while ago BTW:

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/vbykxj/i-asked-my-woke-exes-if-ghosting-me-was-feminist

"I Asked My 'Woke' Exes if Ghosting Me Was Feminist"

Or, a different google search "ghosting male behavior" gave me this

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/why-are-men-so-terrible-what-can-we-do-about-ncna895306

"why are men so terrible what can we do about it". Which is clickbaity as hell, since the actual article title is "why are some men so terrible ...", but the editors decided to shorten the "some" away.

in the case of ghosting, or otherwise being dropped by someone with whom you thought you had a relationship. It’s often hard to move on from that kind of hurt, but there are two important things you can try to keep in mind. First, no matter what you did wrong, you deserve an explanation — one that you probably, unfortunately, won’t get. And second, that there are men out there who do not buy into the popular image of masculinity as unfeeling and unconnected.

"image of masculinity as unfeeling and unconnected" as the cause of ghosting is close to saying "toxic masculinity" here. So, men ghost and they're the baddies. However, google "ghosting women" and you can find an article like this:

https://www.bustle.com/p/women-are-more-likely-to-ghost-someone-theyre-dating-than-men-theres-a-very-good-reason-for-that-8963133

Why are women more likely to ghost? So many people are quick to write ghosting off as being cowardly behavior, but it can also be that the decision to ghost is informed by larger gender norms. Women often find it more difficult to be confrontational than men — not because we're cowards, but because, basically, society tells us to keep our mouth shut and not to upset anyone. "Women have definitely been socialized to be pleasing and deferential to men," relationship therapist Aimee Hartstein, LCSW tells Bustle. "They often want to be liked and can even have a tendency to tell people what they want to hear. This has resulted in them having a much harder time asking for what they want sexually as well as even just saying 'no' when they mean no. So it definitely stands to reason that some woman will be drawn to take the easy way out and ghost the dates that they no longer want to see. If you have trouble telling people what they don’t want to hear then it’s going to be pretty tough to tell them you no longer want to date them!"

Oh right, so women are shown to ghost more in actual data, but they get a free pass because of "mah patriarchy". Both these last two articles together show the real danger of trying to weave pop-psychology / gender-politics into trying to understand basically any phenomena. When men do it, you write it off as "masculinity as unfeeling and unconnected" but when women do it you write it off as "society tells us to keep our mouth shut and not to upset anyone". When you have these two articles back to back it's clearly easy to see why the logic in one, or both, must be flawed, but when you only have articles looking at one side, it could just as easily be using the same fallacious reasoning but be harder to argue against.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:01:54 pm by Reelya »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19283 on: September 13, 2018, 10:14:38 pm »

After reading this

It’s often hard to move on from that kind of hurt, but there are two important things you can try to keep in mind. First, no matter what you did wrong, you deserve an explanation — one that you probably, unfortunately, won’t get.

and an article where a woman used the pretense of investigating toxic male behavior to hunt down and confront exes

I can at least feel better about how I reacted when I was 16, right?  :P
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19284 on: September 14, 2018, 12:13:38 am »

Clearly the ideal partner is a hippie who blithely avoids the internet and communicates with distant loved ones exclusively via DMT-fuelled telepathy, or a foil-wrapped, Chuck-style paranoiac convinced radiowaves and electricity in general are overtly harmful to them. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #19285 on: September 14, 2018, 02:28:08 am »

Clearly the ideal partner is a hippie who blithely avoids the internet and communicates with distant loved ones exclusively via DMT-fuelled telepathy, or a foil-wrapped, Chuck-style paranoiac convinced radiowaves and electricity in general are overtly harmful to them. :P

Stop trying to persuade people you're the ideal life mate, Yoink. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19286 on: September 14, 2018, 03:11:48 am »

Try checking on the Amish dating website. I know, it seems like an oxymoron, but it's a thing.

https://www.amishdating.com/

I am a ...

Amish Man Seeking An Amish Man

Uh, gay Amish dating is supported? That's unusual. Is this like the Amish version of Grindr? This just seems conceptually preposterous on multiple levels. Now it's asking for my email address.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:15:01 am by Reelya »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19287 on: September 14, 2018, 07:03:42 am »

Try checking on the Amish dating website. I know, it seems like an oxymoron, but it's a thing.

https://www.amishdating.com/

I am a ...

Amish Man Seeking An Amish Man

Uh, gay Amish dating is supported? That's unusual. Is this like the Amish version of Grindr? This just seems conceptually preposterous on multiple levels. Now it's asking for my email address.

Gaymish?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19288 on: September 14, 2018, 09:04:48 am »

I aim for the gay Am
Love, scriver~

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19289 on: September 21, 2018, 05:57:20 pm »

I asked my boss if i could pick up some more hours and he apparrently decided i need to start organizing our warehouse inventory. Like deciding where things go and shit. Im not qualified for this i run the cash register
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 ... 1420