Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1268 1269 [1270] 1271 1272 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1978066 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #19035 on: July 25, 2018, 05:23:36 am »

Personally, I'd be in the "there is no free will" camp too if it didn't pose serious threat to meaningful jurisprudence. How can we meaningfully deter criminals if free will didn't exist?

Not to mention, the assumption that free will doesn't exist also enable oppression and restriction of freedom.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19036 on: July 25, 2018, 05:27:55 am »

Personally, I'd be in the "there is no free will" camp too if it didn't pose serious threat to meaningful jurisprudence. How can we meaningfully deter criminals if free will didn't exist?

Not to mention, the assumption that free will doesn't exist also enable oppression and restriction of freedom.
Well, there's nothing stopping anybody from actually deterring criminals without free will. If humans interact with each other in deterministic ways, then punishment (or lack thereof) is also a deterministic interaction. There's no actual threat.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19037 on: July 25, 2018, 05:28:16 am »

Free will pretty much implies a soul of some sort, so a true materialist does not believe in free will. I consider myself to be a true materialist.
That is in fact not true at all. There is a very tiny, outside possibility of free will being recovered from quantum mechanics if and only if it turns out that quantum "random" processes are actually admissive of conscious control. (The more commonly cited "quantum randomness means no determinism, therefore free will!" case, though, doesn't hold up because randomness is also not free will; if your decisions are purely random, you have no more freedom to choose than you do if your decisions are predetermined.) This would basically fall under the umbrella of discovering new laws of physics compatible with free will, which (as a physicist) I must remind you is always possible.

Can I file this statement under "things that made me absolutely terrified today"? I can't comprehend the idea that a factual statement about the world should be determined true or false by its moral consequences. Gravity also enables oppression and restriction of freedom...

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19038 on: July 25, 2018, 05:29:55 am »

Well, I don't know about you, but physics is about picking the useful model, not the true model necessarily, because our perceptions are flawed and therefore we can't really get the absolute truth anyways. Everything we know about the world are analogies used to describe reality.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19039 on: July 25, 2018, 05:31:12 am »

By assuming that "choice" is a multi-level thing.

You could decide to never get out of bed because "determinism" means the decision of whether you get out of bed or not has already been made by "the universe". So you might as well stay in bed for the rest of your life, because you didn't get to "choose" to get up every day. But that's clearly bullshit. At some level, the person who never gets out of bed made a choice to do that.

That assumes that determinism is more like a fractal set of layers of decisions, rather than an all or nothing thing with us just being buffeted by the whims of the universe. Sure, the machinery of your brain made the choice whether to ever get out of bed, but that machinery is you, and nothing "external" forced you to act one way or the other.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19040 on: July 25, 2018, 05:33:07 am »

Free will pretty much implies a soul of some sort, so a true materialist does not believe in free will. I consider myself to be a true materialist.
That is in fact not true at all. There is a very tiny, outside possibility of free will being recovered from quantum mechanics if and only if it turns out that quantum "random" processes are actually admissive of conscious control. (The more commonly cited "quantum randomness means no determinism, therefore free will!" case, though, doesn't hold up because randomness is also not free will; if your decisions are purely random, you have no more freedom to choose than you do if your decisions are predetermined.) This would basically fall under the umbrella of discovering new laws of physics compatible with free will, which (as a physicist) I must remind you is always possible.
But the existence of these laws is not proven or even implied. Therefore, I will only ever change my mind if such a law is discovered.

Can I file this statement under "things that made me absolutely terrified today"? I can't comprehend the idea that a factual statement about the world should be determined true or false by its moral consequences. Gravity also enables oppression and restriction of freedom...
We need to veto gravity. Gravity is an inherently oppressive system.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19041 on: July 25, 2018, 05:34:05 am »

As he screamed "You are an evil man"
And I paused a while to wonder
If I have no free will then how can I be morally culpable, I wonder

I shot Richard Holmes in the stomach
Gingerly he sat down
And he whispered verily "no offense"
Then lay upon the ground

"None taken" I replied to him
To which he gave a little cough
And with blazing wings I neatly aimed blew his head completely off
Love, scriver~

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19042 on: July 25, 2018, 05:34:56 am »

Well, I don't know about you, but physics is about picking the useful model, not the true model necessarily, because our perceptions are flawed and therefore we can't really get the absolute truth anyways. Everything we know about the world are analogies used to describe reality.
The concept of whether there even is such a thing as "absolute truth" is not amenable to scientific investigation. That said, it's a total misnomer to say that physics (or science in general) is about "picking the useful model"; science is about determining what is empirically correct, that is, effectively, what model yields accurate predictions about future observations. You can't simply replace "useful" with "produces the moral outcomes I want" because that's not the measure that our epistemology uses.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19043 on: July 25, 2018, 05:35:27 am »

You could decide to never get out of bed because "determinism" means the decision of whether you get out of bed or not has already been made by "the universe". So you might as well stay in bed for the rest of your life, because you didn't get to "choose" to get up every day. But that's clearly bullshit. At some level, the person who never gets out of bed made a choice to do that.

That assumes that determinism is more like a fractal set of layers of decisions, rather than an all or nothing thing with us just being buffeted by the whims of the universe. Sure, the machinery of your brain made the choice whether to ever get out of bed, but that machinery is you, and nothing "external" forced you to act one way or the other.
Your biochemical processes and (probably damaged) psyche is what would make you never get out of bed. It's not a choice. "You" is an illusion.

I think we've derailed this thread hard.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 05:39:53 am by KittyTac »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19044 on: July 25, 2018, 05:36:38 am »

This discussion has officially gone into confusing territory and I'll shut up because I don't feel like I'm actually learning anything.

Also, don't fall into the trap of personally attacking people for their philosophical opinions. That shit killed Socrates.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19045 on: July 25, 2018, 05:38:31 am »

Your biochemical processes and (probably damaged) psyche is what would make you never get out of bed. It's not a choice. "You" is an illusion.
Yeah, KittyTac has the right of this here, that's fundamentally a misunderstanding of determinism. Determinism doesn't mean "I don't have to choose anything because it is inevitably decided by the universe" or something, it means "I can't choose anything; I either will get out of bed or will not, and I don't know until I find out by doing so, but the alternative was never possible according to the known laws of physics".

This discussion has officially gone into confusing territory and I'll shut up because I don't feel like I'm actually learning anything.
That sounds like a good way to keep not learning anything, though :-\

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19046 on: July 25, 2018, 05:40:22 am »

Or, I could read more books. I don't know, I never learn when I'm sharing my opinions. Guess it's just the way I'm wired.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19047 on: July 25, 2018, 05:40:32 am »

No, but I was talking about Free Will, not determinism, so that's a different argument.

I was talking about a definition of free will that's compatible with determinism, so saying "that's not how determinism works" is missing the point. There's a name for this entire school of thought, called "compatibilism".
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 05:42:06 am by Reelya »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19048 on: July 25, 2018, 05:41:28 am »

Look up literature on determinism or something. Now, can we stop this discussion and put the thread back on its rails? It's blatantly obvious that none of us have been moved a millimeter by this discussion.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19049 on: July 25, 2018, 05:42:48 am »

Why don't you, there's a whole school of thought on Free Will's compatibility with Determinsm, called Compatiblism. I wasn't challenging the definition of determinism in the first place. So that's like a complete red herring right there. I'm defining Free Will differently to you, not Determinism.
Pages: 1 ... 1268 1269 [1270] 1271 1272 ... 1420