Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1257 1258 [1259] 1260 1261 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977765 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18870 on: July 12, 2018, 11:44:59 am »

No, wait until it gets a lot worse, because you don't want to be a bother.

Once I spent a night trapped in a malfunctioning service elevator for just that reason. I figured that someone would eventually call maintenance if they needed the elevator and I'd get out then, but I didn't have anything urgent to do at work that night and wasn't in any particular danger so it'd be best not to bother people unnecessarily.

I was slightly absurd as a teenager.
The elevators in my university, across every single campi, are notorious. A bunch of years back, a student got into one of those elevators on a saturday. She had no phone and didn't press the emergency button for whatever reason. They only got her out of the elevator on monday. And people look at me as if I'm crazy when I take the stairs every single time.

Hell, I've been trapped in those elevators once, but only for a few minutes. The first sign shit wasn't going to go right was when the elevator went up after I pressed the button for the ground floor.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18871 on: July 12, 2018, 11:47:18 am »

campi

Are you trying to bring the language argument into this thread Teneb
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18872 on: July 12, 2018, 12:04:22 pm »

No, wait until it gets a lot worse, because you don't want to be a bother.

Once I spent a night trapped in a malfunctioning service elevator for just that reason. I figured that someone would eventually call maintenance if they needed the elevator and I'd get out then, but I didn't have anything urgent to do at work that night and wasn't in any particular danger so it'd be best not to bother people unnecessarily.

I was slightly absurd as a teenager.
The elevators in my university, across every single campi, are notorious. A bunch of years back, a student got into one of those elevators on a saturday. She had no phone and didn't press the emergency button for whatever reason. They only got her out of the elevator on monday. And people look at me as if I'm crazy when I take the stairs every single time.

Hell, I've been trapped in those elevators once, but only for a few minutes. The first sign shit wasn't going to go right was when the elevator went up after I pressed the button for the ground floor.

Wasn't there a story about a woman who get trapped in an elevator in a building that had gone out of business, and she was the last person in the building and so she was just stuck. Somebody found her corpse months later if I'm remembering correctly.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18874 on: July 16, 2018, 06:32:21 am »

Oh damn, I think I know what's about to happen in this book (East of Eden, not A Decent Ride - that was a comparatively short book and I blitzed through it in about a day). I think I might need a hot, fortifying cup of tea or coffee before I can read further.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18875 on: July 16, 2018, 06:56:49 pm »

Death by being trapped in an elevator has happened a couple of times recently
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/08/world/asia/china-woman-elevator-death.html
https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/11/health/elderly-man-dead-elevator-trnd/index.html

there have also been escalator deaths in China. One example was of 31 year old woman who died when a panel at the top of the escalator collapsed and she fell into the machinery - the panel gave way on one edge only, the edge leading towards the rotating gears of death, unfortunately.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/29/world/asia/escalator-death-in-china-sets-off-furor-online.html

At least 37 people died in escalator and elevator accidents last year, The Beijing Morning Post reported in July, quoting an official with the national safety regulator.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 08:56:20 pm by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18876 on: July 17, 2018, 02:45:43 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:57:39 pm by dragdeler »
let

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18877 on: July 17, 2018, 04:55:52 am »

Awful but worse than dying of thirst in a small room with youf feces? Maybe not.
That's horrible but worse than dying from trauma from being flagellated by a man named Locklin after drinking too much fermented lizard blood in a secret bar near your local area and picking a fight with the Mafia? Unlikely.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18878 on: July 17, 2018, 05:36:38 am »

How about dying of thirst in a small room while being flagellated  by a man called Locklin after drinking too much fermented feces in a secret bar near your local area?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18879 on: July 17, 2018, 06:18:10 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:57:34 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18880 on: July 17, 2018, 07:07:22 am »

what about being phallagellated
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18881 on: July 17, 2018, 12:05:10 pm »

How about dying of thirst in a small room while being flagellated  by a man called Locklin after drinking too much fermented feces in a secret bar near your local area?
Is this a TES:Valenwood teaser?
Edit:  In my defense, Cinder's original version put argonians on my mind.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:37:50 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18882 on: July 19, 2018, 08:44:58 pm »

See, because Bosmer ferment weird things like sophont meat, and Locklin sounds like a forest-dweller, and... yeah that was a stretch.

I'm visiting my dad for another three days, at the beach (land of the piercing sun).
Which would be fine, we're honestly pretty cool now.

Oh except I'm bringing three of my friends, who are awesome *at a distance*, or for a few hours of real-time occasionally, but we largely get along thanks to the resulting metaphorical "space" when there's a disagreement.  And we're going to be packed in like sardines the whole time.

Last time I was in such a situation, I glanced at some NSFW for sheer "bring me into a different headspace".  Also I won't have my car.
I'm worried over nothing, it's fine, I need to trust just a *little bit*...

Well except that my dad and one of my friends are likely to get into a political argument, and I have no idea what I'm going to do.  Except warn them both, and beg that they tolerate each other.

...I guess I can always just walk away with my sleeping bag, if it gets too bad.  Weather's warm.  Would be nicer if I had my car, but needs must.  I'm overthinking this a lot, I need to avoid putting people on edge by being visibly anxious...

Edit:  It's *fine*.  I'll bring the Complete Chronicles of Amber, and also book 2 of the Drizz't series which I got into during the last power outtage.  Proven to calm my anxiety and give me a little metaphorical distance, heh.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:57:36 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18883 on: July 20, 2018, 02:36:36 am »

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time rolan.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18884 on: July 20, 2018, 04:37:52 am »

Well except that my dad and one of my friends are likely to get into a political argument, and I have no idea what I'm going to do.  Except warn them both, and beg that they tolerate each other.

Sounds like a great time. Who doesn't like arguing over politics?

------------

On another note, I'm terrified today because my manager is currently hosting 4 very important people from the company and I thought I had gotten into work late enough to miss them, but they were right there when I parked up. I hope they don't notice me. (My start time is flexible, so I'm not in trouble).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 1257 1258 [1259] 1260 1261 ... 1420