Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1254 1255 [1256] 1257 1258 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977727 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18825 on: June 28, 2018, 09:35:24 am »

I'm still not fully recovered from whatever bug got me, work is really slow, thankfully I'm not payed over commission but it scares me the business going out of business or being caught on another personnel reduction. Our budget at home is already stretched so thin a mild breeze could open a hole in it.  I'm trying to find another income venues but it's not really easy because of time constrains.

I'm honestly terrified for my son's future, his lack of passport and the refusal of the government to issue him one trough all the excuses on the world, while people working on the ministry offer to issue one for 300 or 400 US dollars, which is 16 or 20 YEARS of work, saving up 100% of the income, is disheartening. I feel like being pushed into corruption at every turn, and since I won't I'll simply break.

I'm still sick, we don't have much in the vegetables department and our only meat is some frozen sausages the wife dish out with care in every meal, now another crushing debt because my recent visit to a clinic, the sleepless nights have returned because I need to hunt down the appointments to legalize and internationalize our documents so we can work on another country legally with out university tittles.

Every time he look into my eyes and smile I'm torn between infinite happiness and bottomless despair.

Fuck I hate this dictatorship, it takes out the worst of me.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18826 on: June 28, 2018, 09:47:50 am »

Can't you just run the hell out of there (with your family, obviously)? I know you've said that it would hurt your pride to do it without a passport, but I imagine that many people without passports are fleeing too

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18827 on: June 28, 2018, 09:53:38 am »

We have passports, my son don't, without a passport for him and our documents in order we would be in semi to fully illegal stand if we were to stay permanently on other country. Beyond my pride is the legality of our immigration that worries me, I woundl't like to go anywhere to live were my first act is violating the laws there. Which kind of future could I provide for my family like that?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18828 on: June 29, 2018, 01:05:42 am »

Oh man. Got a numb pinky finger and stupidly I googled it for possible causes instead of waiting for it to clear up.
I've had this at least a couple of times in the past and it's never wound up crippling me, but now I'm paranoid about it.

Funnily enough, the results mention the ulnar nerve, which is what was severed when I horrifically broke my elbow at the age of six... it's technically a miracle that I regained the use of my hand at all. :-\
At the doctor to get this.checked out.
I had hoped the numbness would have cleared up overnight, but nope.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18829 on: June 29, 2018, 01:23:56 am »

I know this is fricken obvious, you being in the anti-hotzone, but it could just be from the cold?

Really though, I once rode my bicycle to highschool in winter, and was in too much of a hurry to wear my gloves, and my fingers burned and ached for at least an hour.  I had to excuse myself from first period, to just shudder in the bathroom running room-temperature water over them in a desperate attempt to make it stop.

My right ring finger was "numb", AKA *felt literally nothing whatsoever* for between one and two weeks.  It worried me a lot, with my understanding of nerve damage, but it did recover just fine.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:45:09 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18830 on: June 29, 2018, 01:40:53 am »

Whoa, really? Cold-induced numbness can last that long?!
I did have a bit of a scare one night a bit over a week ago, where I walked home from a place (about thirty minutes) carrying a serve of chilli fries, which necessitated the hand holding it being exposed to the cold wind for the entire journey.
By the time I got home, the entire hand was numb and I frantically googled "hot water on cold hands" since I had some vague inkling that dousing them so would be a bad idea. Ended up pouring cold water over it before slowly increasing the temperature, and by the next day it seemed fine.

I suppose it is possible that I caused some nerve damage/proto-frostbite there, though it's strange that it cleared up 'til yesterday. I'm here now, anyway, and I've been waiting a while so I'll see what a doctor has to say.
Fortunately this place bulk bills. If I had to pay for a consultation or any treatment that may be necessary I woulda bitten a rope and sawed my arm off by now. :P

Thanks for the suggestion, though! That sounds a lot less freaky than my arm suddenly reverting to its crippled state of nineteen years ago.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18831 on: June 29, 2018, 01:57:22 am »

*Totes not jelly about you getting modern human rights.

You're right though, for the record, definitely don't use hot water.  It would scald the flesh and you might not notice.  Room temperature water is the way to go.

And I have no idea how my finger regained sensation, based on the little I've read and understood, but it did.  Yes, it was at least a week of having no sensation at all.

I probably should have sought medical attention, but my parents happened to be separating, and obviously we don't have citizen health care.  It was one of many "self-inflicted" pains which I took solace in.  Not literally cutting, but... basically cutting. 

I still stroke the scars, and they calm me as I remember simpler times.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18832 on: June 29, 2018, 10:05:45 am »

I just noticed that Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum, a forumgoer that I've dealt with in the past years has had her account nuked. This is terrifying, for she had had trouble being part of a strict religious family and community literally demonizing her, and even attempted suicide once and posted about it on the forums. I'm worried about her.
She actively plays Fallen London and is on #bay12lb Discord, don't worry.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18833 on: June 29, 2018, 10:13:14 am »

I just noticed that Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum, a forumgoer that I've dealt with in the past years has had her account nuked. This is terrifying, for she had had trouble being part of a strict religious family and community literally demonizing her, and even attempted suicide once and posted about it on the forums. I'm worried about her.
Could be by her own request. Not much you can do about it.
Yup, I asked her, and she said that's the case.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18834 on: July 01, 2018, 10:58:35 am »

Well, shit... somehow I forgot that rent was due a day from now, rather than, I don't know, some undefined point in the future? Honestly my memory has been so bad lately it is starting to worry me.

Presumably it goes hand in hand with my currently abysmal sleep patterns... well, whatever the case, time to be broke for a fortnight. I guess it's nice that I can at least afford to pay my rent at all, but it's hard to focus on that sort of bigger-picture thinking when the fact that I've managed to majorly screw myself over again is staring me in the face making me want to scream, vomit or both.

I already had enough shit to worry about without the bottom falling out of my finances like this. Looks like I'm back on staples for the foreseeable future, after this brief while I've spent binging on cheese toasties, store-bought spring rolls and various other delicacies that one sometimes spends money on when they don't have to pay rent in the near future...
Booze is Life for Yoink

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18835 on: July 01, 2018, 01:34:57 pm »

For what it's worth, taking up a grain/cereals based diet can be cheap (both in cash & time investment) and nutritious as fuck. Oats are the GOAT food as you can prepare them quickly with boiling water, they're the best exchange rate from pounds/dollars/euros to nutrition, especially since they avoid the deficiencies caused by eating other monotonous diets. Managed to keep my food bill under £1.00 a day during student times through oats, spuds, parsnips & rice, with monthly savings going towards weekly fish & meat. Bread, cheese, cress & meat is a step up while not costing that much more money, and is perfect whether you heat it or not. Tea bought wholesale is infinitely better than soft drinks in terms of value and quality, especially since tea will warm you in winter. The most difficult thing is saving enough money to regularly buy food by the kilo... I always find it odd how it's easier to save money the more money you have, while if you're stuck buying per meal and not per sack you get ripped. I still am horrified by memories of students who took up "maintenance loans" to purchase pizzas daily, rinsing through £15-20 per day before you factored alcohol

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18836 on: July 01, 2018, 01:53:48 pm »

Very solid advice.
I always find it odd how it's easier to save money the more money you have, while if you're stuck buying per meal and not per sack you get ripped.
Terry Pratchett illustrated this with a night watchman who constantly had to buy new, shitty boots which fell apart quicker than a proper pair he couldn't afford.
She/they

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18837 on: July 01, 2018, 02:02:35 pm »

Very solid advice.
I always find it odd how it's easier to save money the more money you have, while if you're stuck buying per meal and not per sack you get ripped.
Terry Pratchett illustrated this with a night watchman who constantly had to buy new, shitty boots which fell apart quicker than a proper pair he couldn't afford.
I've yet to find something that Terry Pratchett hasn't illustrated, in a clever and interesting way.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #18838 on: July 01, 2018, 03:02:49 pm »

Death.

Oh, wait.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18839 on: July 01, 2018, 03:15:51 pm »

The inexorable death of the middle class in an increasingly polarized sociopolitical mutation.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 1254 1255 [1256] 1257 1258 ... 1420