Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1253 1254 [1255] 1256 1257 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977717 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18810 on: May 27, 2018, 08:13:18 am »

Should you maybe take this "the old you dies every time you sleep", ship of Theseus talk to some philosophical thread?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18811 on: May 27, 2018, 08:25:36 am »

"the old you dies every time you sleep" isn't terrifying?

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18812 on: May 27, 2018, 10:47:06 am »

every time you go to sleep, you die and wake up in someone else's body, with all their memories and personality. I remember hearing that in some youtube video or something like that.

It was pretty out of place considering it was some comedy sketch I think.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18813 on: May 27, 2018, 11:11:13 am »

What's the point of that? You are the sum of your memories and personality. If "you" are swapping them with other people and not those parts of you, what is that "you" that is being passed around? It's nothing. If there was some totally intangible and inconsequential thing being passed around between people, it wouldn't be the you that is reading this that is passed around, but rather some other thing that isn't you that was passed to you this morning.

Doesn't seem like that well thought out of an idea.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18814 on: May 27, 2018, 01:33:52 pm »

The problem with that analogy at least is that your brain doesn’t shut down when you dream. Plenty of brain activity is still going on there. Equating going to sleep with dying isn’t very accurate. If your making tha comparison then you might as well go into full on “You can never jump into the same river twice” territory rather than saying the “river” only changes when you sleep.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18815 on: May 27, 2018, 04:58:45 pm »

Changing from is death, changing to is life. Every moment you experience a small death, and equally small birth. If you were to ever stop dying, you would be dead.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18816 on: May 27, 2018, 06:36:50 pm »

Should you maybe take this "the old you dies every time you sleep", ship of Theseus talk to some philosophical thread?
Things that gave you a philosophical crisis today?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18817 on: May 27, 2018, 06:40:49 pm »

Things that gave you a philosophical crisis today?
...didn't we actually have one of those at one point?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18818 on: May 28, 2018, 11:19:01 am »

If copying that RAM to new RAM makes it "not you" then we have a fundamental problem: because the way you'd compute the next time-slice in the first place is by taking the current state, which is in one part of RAM, and computing the next time-slice, which you then store in a different part of RAM, then erase the old RAM, and repeat. e.g. since you're basically being constantly copied, updated and having the old state erased, then that's effectively no different to the teleportation paradox, but it's constant.
Kind of existentially terrifying to be a CPU-simulated mind, isn't it?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18819 on: May 28, 2018, 05:58:30 pm »

I´m reading a book by one Rana Awdish, an ICU doctor who ended up in her own ICU, and she tells her experience, and what she thought at the time.

I find it terrifying because I find myself echoing the reactions and thoughts.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18820 on: May 29, 2018, 04:24:35 am »

I´m reading a book by one Rana Awdish, an ICU doctor who ended up in her own ICU, and she tells her experience, and what she thought at the time.

Well now that sounds like a pretty damn intense reality check. Did she make any major changes to the system once she was back on her feet?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18821 on: May 29, 2018, 08:29:13 am »

Well now that sounds like a pretty damn intense reality check. Did she make any major changes to the system once she was back on her feet?
She tried to relate better to her patients and get her juniors to do the same.
She gives conferences about it too
https://www.ranaawdishmd.com

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18822 on: June 28, 2018, 03:41:08 am »

Oh man. Got a numb pinky finger and stupidly I googled it for possible causes instead of waiting for it to clear up.
I've had this at least a couple of times in the past and it's never wound up crippling me, but now I'm paranoid about it.

Funnily enough, the results mention the ulnar nerve, which is what was severed when I horrifically broke my elbow at the age of six... it's technically a miracle that I regained the use of my hand at all. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #18823 on: June 28, 2018, 06:57:25 am »

I just noticed that Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum, a forumgoer that I've dealt with in the past years has had her account nuked. This is terrifying, for she had had trouble being part of a strict religious family and community literally demonizing her, and even attempted suicide once and posted about it on the forums. I'm worried about her.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18824 on: June 28, 2018, 07:48:34 am »

I just noticed that Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum, a forumgoer that I've dealt with in the past years has had her account nuked. This is terrifying, for she had had trouble being part of a strict religious family and community literally demonizing her, and even attempted suicide once and posted about it on the forums. I'm worried about her.
Could be by her own request. Not much you can do about it.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 1253 1254 [1255] 1256 1257 ... 1420