Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1249 1250 [1251] 1252 1253 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977667 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18750 on: May 24, 2018, 02:27:21 am »

"Jewelled heart scarab, eh? Your organic one got damaged?"

"Yeah, from the River People raid back when I was in the army. Solid gold, in honor of my achievements."

"...you realize that this thing is heavy as fuck, right? Gold is dense."

"..."
What a downer. Why make him feel so heavy-hearted?

Edit: didn't the Egyptians believe that after death, your heart is weighed against a feather, and if it's heavier, bad stuff happens?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18751 on: May 24, 2018, 02:41:47 am »

Yes.  Hence the joke.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18752 on: May 24, 2018, 03:38:15 am »

I could donate organs though. No diseases, reasonably healthy.  Not like I will be needing them should I die.
But have you considered cryonic vitrification?

The slim possibility that one's consciousness could survive a future revival of the brain at least mitigates some of the existential terror of being an atheist.
Of course you can't live forever, regardless, but it buys more time to experience stuff.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18753 on: May 24, 2018, 03:43:25 am »

Ha, no, the kinds of things that people could do with your mind after you die with nothing you could possibly do about it is much more terrifying than just nonexistence.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18754 on: May 24, 2018, 04:17:27 am »

Ha, no, the kinds of things that people could do with your mind after you die with nothing you could possibly do about it is much more terrifying than just nonexistence.
But will they? To what purpose when they could just use an AI, which is easier to understand and control than a human brain?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18755 on: May 24, 2018, 04:53:22 am »

Research. Think about if there are all these frozen brains-in-a-jar just waiting around, like forever. Eventually someone comes along poking at your brain with EEG signals, doing all sorts of experiments, because they need to publish a paper or their PhD advisor suggests it to them.

I mean, what's the legal status of a 200 year old brain-jar actually going to be like? Especially if you didn't have an impressive job in your real life. e.g. if they've got you, the janitor at the local school who managed to scrape enough money together for cryo, next to computer scientist Hal Finney, who are they going to want to defrost? And are they going to risk defrosting Hal Finney's brain, before running all sorts of tests on slices of not-Hal-Finney's brain?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:59:53 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18756 on: May 24, 2018, 06:06:04 am »

"Jewelled heart scarab, eh? Your organic one got damaged?"

"Yeah, from the River People raid back when I was in the army. Solid gold, in honor of my achievements."

"...you realize that this thing is heavy as fuck, right? Gold is dense."

"..."
What a downer. Why make him feel so heavy-hearted?

Edit: didn't the Egyptians believe that after death, your heart is weighed against a feather, and if it's heavier, bad stuff happens?
Yes.  Hence the joke.

This is a joke that needed explaining, I completely forgot about that lore.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18757 on: May 24, 2018, 07:51:35 am »

Research. Think about if there are all these frozen brains-in-a-jar just waiting around, like forever. Eventually someone comes along poking at your brain with EEG signals, doing all sorts of experiments, because they need to publish a paper or their PhD advisor suggests it to them.

I mean, what's the legal status of a 200 year old brain-jar actually going to be like? Especially if you didn't have an impressive job in your real life. e.g. if they've got you, the janitor at the local school who managed to scrape enough money together for cryo, next to computer scientist Hal Finney, who are they going to want to defrost? And are they going to risk defrosting Hal Finney's brain, before running all sorts of tests on slices of not-Hal-Finney's brain?
Guess it's a good thing I'm a computer scientist. :P

There are still ethical standards in play. Even disregarding that, the horror is finite. I'm not sure they're going to torture you for 100+ years just for laughs.

(Also, I personally wouldn't go the brain in the jar route. Not having a body is an extra complication for revival. Endocrine system is kind of important to mental health.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:10:04 am by Bumber »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18758 on: May 24, 2018, 07:53:37 am »

Guess it's a good thing I'm a computer scientist. :P

There are still ethical standards in play. Even disregarding that, the horror is finite. I'm not sure they're going to torture you for 100+ years just for laughs.

http://www.earthexplodes.com/comics/200/

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18760 on: May 24, 2018, 06:50:07 pm »

I mean it's not like you have anything to lose when you're a brain in a jar anyways, because omae wo shindeiru.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18761 on: May 24, 2018, 06:55:04 pm »

I mean it's not like you have anything to lose when you're a brain in a jar anyways, because omae wo shindeiru.
But you're a brain in a jar anyways... The difference between a glass jar and a bone jar is philosophical at best.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18762 on: May 24, 2018, 07:00:22 pm »

There is a physical difference though, in that right now, my brain can control the rest of my body and receive inputs, and it can't do much of anything in a glass jar

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18763 on: May 24, 2018, 09:01:30 pm »

It can if it's hooked up like your bonejar brain is.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18764 on: May 24, 2018, 10:10:02 pm »

When can I get an armor composite jar. Not having to worry so much about the jar breaking sounds very nice.
Pages: 1 ... 1249 1250 [1251] 1252 1253 ... 1420