Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1246 1247 [1248] 1249 1250 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977609 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18705 on: May 17, 2018, 03:02:38 pm »

Never given blood before. If it were just unpleasant I'd probably don the mantle of altruism and do it. I know my sister has. But I react badly to needles, hah. The last jab I had, the nurse had to tell me to breathe properly and put my head between my legs. She was a bit surprised by the reaction. Maybe she didn't expect the tall healthy-seeming young man to be so cowardly :P

I am, indeed, a big wuss. It's really irrational and I hate it, but there it is.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18706 on: May 17, 2018, 03:03:26 pm »

They go from 3 to 10ml.  Most commonly used ones are around 5ml
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #18707 on: May 17, 2018, 03:13:14 pm »

I made a point not to look at the blood. They put the bandage on and asked for my signature and I fainted in the middle of signing my name.
Did you, by any chance, write the signature in the blood? If so, the fainting was a completely expected side effect of your soul being removed and subsequently replaced by
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18708 on: May 17, 2018, 03:49:42 pm »

They go from 3 to 10ml.  Most commonly used ones are around 5ml
Heh, that's even less than I thought.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #18709 on: May 18, 2018, 01:44:57 am »

Needles are pretty spooky. I don't really mind them, 'cause it doesn't hurt much and I'm pretty resilient (huzzah for not bruising), but I always expect it to hurt.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18710 on: May 18, 2018, 03:22:03 am »

I've given blood maybe ten times now, and I still flinch when I see the little lancets they use for testing your iron levels, even though I know for a fact that they're almost painless.

Almost painless, except when you're hospitalized for a few days and they check you a couple times every day and refuse to use different fingers for the test, even when their preferred finger is now twice the size of the others and an angry mauve color.

Military hospitals are fun. So are sinus swab tests.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #18711 on: May 18, 2018, 07:14:42 am »

Just for fun, would they use the middle finger?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18712 on: May 18, 2018, 01:37:32 pm »

Needles are pretty spooky. I don't really mind them, 'cause it doesn't hurt much and I'm pretty resilient (huzzah for not bruising), but I always expect it to hurt.

+1
I don't like needles but I can get shots and give blood and all that with ease. The only unpleasant parts are feeling the injection in you or feeling your blood draining out slowly. Even those aren't so bad.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18713 on: May 19, 2018, 12:48:09 am »

I'd almost prefer a method that hurt more but didn't feel so wrong.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18714 on: May 19, 2018, 01:02:30 am »

Agreed.  Especially if it was something I could do myself, you know?  I loosen my muscles, but I don't know exactly when they'll *stick*  me.
I mean, back when I had health care for flu shots.

My family has strong diabetes history, and I've been fortunate so far.  I'm so careful.
Buf it it comes down to it, I'm not that scared to inject myself in the fat.  It's merely the cost.

Just something I find myself considering a lot.  The idea of injecting regularly just to be myself.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18715 on: May 19, 2018, 06:16:14 am »

I'd almost prefer a method that hurt more but didn't feel so wrong.

*Wheels out the sacrificial dais*

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #18716 on: May 20, 2018, 02:12:23 am »

Okay this is something that personally scared the shit out of me, but there's this big red ominous glow right on the horizon that you can't see except at night, and it's invisible if you shine a light at it. Started yesterday, but it's brighter now. We think it's the lava? Or a brush fire? Whatever it is, it's bloody terrifying.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18717 on: May 20, 2018, 02:38:38 am »

Okay this is something that personally scared the shit out of me, but there's this big red ominous glow right on the horizon that you can't see except at night, and it's invisible if you shine a light at it. Started yesterday, but it's brighter now. We think it's the lava? Or a brush fire? Whatever it is, it's bloody terrifying.
I would guess lava. Which, granted, is pretty terrifying. You're not near the volcano, right?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #18718 on: May 20, 2018, 12:45:31 pm »

I would guess lava. Which, granted, is pretty terrifying. You're not near the volcano, right?
I looked at Google maps and no. I'm a fair amount of miles away from the disaster area.

I mean, I guess if we're considering the fact that it's the liquid form of an object with one of the highest melting points on Earth, then yeah it would glow rather brightly.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18719 on: May 20, 2018, 12:50:27 pm »

I looked at Google maps and no. I'm a fair amount of miles away from the disaster area.

I mean, I guess if we're considering the fact that it's the liquid form of an object with one of the highest melting points on Earth, then yeah it would glow rather brightly.

I’d imagine that the air is really ashy/dusty in the area, so, could be that light reflecting off of dust. Or maybe not dissimilar from the glow from city lights.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 12:59:35 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 1246 1247 [1248] 1249 1250 ... 1420