Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1238 1239 [1240] 1241 1242 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977456 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18585 on: April 27, 2018, 07:32:49 am »

I just let my cat hunt. They're carnivores, damnit!
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18586 on: April 27, 2018, 07:49:36 am »

I was making a passive aggressive "not everywhere is the us" comment though :P

(Sorry Hans ;) )
If I can be playfully snarky back, does that mean cane toads aren't an invasive species? Not everywhere is Australia :P

No, you misunderstood - the snark isn't at how cats aren't invasive species everywhere, it's at how Americans often speak as if it's just for granted that everyone on the internet is American and always talking about America
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18587 on: April 27, 2018, 07:51:47 am »

But if you see a cat that kills 1096 critters a year, like you say, you should adopt it and make sure it is properly fed.
Couldn't you argue that eating 3 such critters a day is properly fed for a small feline?  I mean, how is it that manufactured protein slurry is "proper" compared to what the creature evolved to eat?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #18588 on: April 27, 2018, 07:55:08 am »

(Sorry Hans ;) )
If I can be playfully snarky back, does that mean cane toads aren't an invasive species? Not everywhere is Australia :P

No, you misunderstood - the snark isn't at how cats aren't invasive species everywhere, it's at how Americans often speak as if it's just for granted that everyone on the internet is American and always talking about America
Well, sure. Americans have an over inflated notion of themselves as a people, and a penchant for violence to back them up.

If we don't go along with it, they'll annex the internet.

Do you want that??
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18589 on: April 27, 2018, 07:56:22 am »

Well, it's not really about hunger or diet, it's about how cats are known to hunt and kill animals for sport, even on a full stomach. Even well-fed cats will depopulate their locale of small wildlife, simply because they're hardwired to murder things.

Some breeds display less of this behavior, notably Ragdolls, whose hunting instincts have been described as "they will sit and starve to death while staring at a mouse". But for most other domestic housecats, that drive is still very much alive and well.

Billy

• Bay Watcher
  • 2495 2837 1566
    • View Profile
« Reply #18590 on: April 27, 2018, 07:58:27 am »

In my country people like killing cats cause the cats kill our rare native bird life yet the ignorance begins here because the rare native birb life isn't in the areas where people most commonly kill cats. Good luck finding a bush cat.
Yet I would say dogs have an equal damaging effect but people are less likely to kill a dog.
The thing about killing animals and being a psychopath is very wrong though. Thats just stats gone wrong

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18591 on: April 27, 2018, 08:01:14 am »

But if you see a cat that kills 1096 critters a year, like you say, you should adopt it and make sure it is properly fed.
Couldn't you argue that eating 3 such critters a day is properly fed for a small feline?  I mean, how is it that manufactured protein slurry is "proper" compared to what the creature evolved to eat?
You could argue that, but average cat density in human populated areas is nowhere near natural, which is why there is catfood, so not all mice and birds go extinct.
Don't blame cats though. If there's an uncontrolled population of strays, it's humans to blame not cats.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Billy

• Bay Watcher
  • 2495 2837 1566
    • View Profile
« Reply #18592 on: April 27, 2018, 08:07:08 am »

Well here like the cats. The mice and suburban birds are all non native species so its really stupid to think they are actually doing damage in those areas. The native birds that do frequent suburban areas are often big enough or not rare at all to really worry. The issue here is actually farming and encroaching human territories that bring the cats, mice, dogs, rats etc.

But saying cats should be let to hunt is as valid as saying people should be able to kill the cats.
Just like a cat wants to kill something small and furry so do we humans have that same drive

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18593 on: April 27, 2018, 08:16:39 am »

Humans should just learn to stop meddling.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18594 on: April 27, 2018, 08:27:37 am »

(Sorry Hans ;) )

Well, sure. Americans have an over inflated notion of themselves as a people, and a penchant for violence to back them up.

If we don't go along with it, they'll annex the internet.

Do you want that??

*Hans brandishes the Internet Gun all Americans are legally required to possess at all times*
And don't you forget it, galldamn furreners.

Joking aside, scriver also made a good point. Which is that I should not talk so generally and USA-centric. It's a serious cultural fault my people are blind to, and we really need to be reminded of it. A lot. It's so ingrained I didn't even consider the idea that, y'know, cats are from somewhere.

Humans should just learn to stop meddling.   

It's sadly our deluded and deranged nature to meddle.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18595 on: April 27, 2018, 08:36:00 am »

(Sorry Hans ;) )

That came across, but I was trying to point out that nobody was being Ameri-centric.  If I understand correctly, you read Ameri-centrism in Hans calling cats invasive species, which had absolutely nothing to do with America.

But I guess I'm oversensitive to "lol Americans are self-centered" jabs, heh.
also I'm really sleepy
Fakedit:  dangit Hans stop making me apparently wrong
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18596 on: April 27, 2018, 09:32:50 am »

Also, I dislike cats myself. Mainly for the killing-for-no-reason thing (also applicable to many humans) but also because they're simply not friendly much of the time.
A. Many cats are very friendly, just quite a few are not socialized properly while kittens, and develop all sorts of anxiety problems around people, often times latching obsessively onto one person, and the ones that ARE are often wary of new people, as you should expect from a fairly small animal with many predators.
B. Various animals kill for no reason, and many cats don't actually have any hunting ability

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #18597 on: April 27, 2018, 09:34:38 am »

A. Not my experience, and I've been around a lot of cats.
B. Sure they do. I don't like that either. Though they also aren't as numerous and directly tied to human influence as cats.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18598 on: April 27, 2018, 09:36:52 am »

A. Not my experience, and I've been around a lot of cats.
B. Sure they do. I don't like that either.
A. I've been around several, and they've almost all been friendly, I've been around more unfriendly dogs than cats. I own both the wary but friendly when they get used to you type, and the scared of people in general but latches on to one person type
B. Fair enough

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18599 on: April 27, 2018, 09:43:30 am »

Well, it's not really about hunger or diet, it's about how cats are known to hunt and kill animals for sport, even on a full stomach. Even well-fed cats will depopulate their locale of small wildlife, simply because they're hardwired to murder things.

Some breeds display less of this behavior, notably Ragdolls, whose hunting instincts have been described as "they will sit and starve to death while staring at a mouse". But for most other domestic housecats, that drive is still very much alive and well.

I just let it satisfy it's natural instincts. I don't care about the mice, they're a pest that  ruined many trees in my backyard.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 1238 1239 [1240] 1241 1242 ... 1420