Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1237 1238 [1239] 1240 1241 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977451 times)

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18570 on: April 26, 2018, 07:24:56 pm »

From what I know, neutering your cat should keep it safe from fighting other cats.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18571 on: April 26, 2018, 07:34:59 pm »

It will not, no. Cats will still find something to fight about. Calicos especially hate one another. Our two calicos have been going at it nonstop for years, theyre both fixed.

That said, as long as you keep an eye on your cats and treat any infected wounds, fights with other cats arent your biggest problem. Vehicle traffic and larger predators like dogs (especially with stray dogs where as your cats arent afraid of dogs in general) and wildlife like coyotes are more likely to kill your cats.

But my kitty i grew up with died of breast cancer at 15-ish, so theres always that too.

And your neighbors. Your neighbors could very well decide to kill your cat. Thats happened before.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18572 on: April 26, 2018, 09:33:44 pm »

I keep forgetting that it's safe in Western Europe to let cats outside, while in the Americas you'll get it eaten by something

That doesn't quite make sense. Most of the time, the thing that kills cats is another cat.
Erm, no?
Tomcats do fight, but rarely / never until death.
My genetically dwarf-growth tomcat has been fighting other tomcats for 8 years now. I guess despite his small size, he's ferocious enough to win them all, because all kittens that are born in my street look like him. Sometimes he has a scratch, but that's about the worst that cats will do to each other. Note that all other neighborhood tomcats are also still alive, despite getting bested every year by my dwarf-hulk cat.

Cats get killed by cars, and dogs (and then only by the kind of traumatized mean dog that people lock up in their backyard instead of raising it as a proper house pet). Not by other cats, no idea who got you to believe that, it's real nonsense.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:37:35 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18573 on: April 26, 2018, 09:47:59 pm »

Mostly all the cats my old cat killed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18574 on: April 26, 2018, 10:08:37 pm »

That's not representative, or normal for cats. You must have had a psychopath cat.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18575 on: April 27, 2018, 03:39:51 am »

And your neighbors. Your neighbors could very well decide to kill your cat. Thats happened before.

I don't understand the bizarre hatred that so many people have for cats that makes them think this is ok.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18576 on: April 27, 2018, 04:22:44 am »

I don't understand the bizarre hatred that so many people have for cats that makes them think this is ok.

I don't think it's necessarily a hatred of cats, these people just have some kind of disconnect in their thought patterns. Some pet-killers legitimately don't feel anything, good or bad, towards the animals, they just get a kick out of snuffing them out.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18577 on: April 27, 2018, 04:52:09 am »

I don't think it's necessarily a hatred of cats, these people just have some kind of disconnect in their thought patterns. Some pet-killers legitimately don't feel anything, good or bad, towards the animals, they just get a kick out of snuffing them out.

There are a lot of people who just hate cats specifically.  I've known people whose cats were killed by neighbors, and heard many more such cases second-hand.  Never noticed anything similar regarding any other type of pet, unless there was some practical dispute or feud with the owner.  I know that indiscriminate torturing/killing of animals is one of the more broadly recognized signs early warning signs of a psychopath, but that's not a widespread thing that you expect to encounter often, especially admitted to openly.  Yet I've encountered many people who openly profess that they kill cats any chance they get, always spoken with a spitting conviction.  I've known people with cats whose neighbors pro-actively warned them never to let their cats outside or they'd shoot them.  And when I was a kid, I overheard various classmates talk about torturing and killing cats, but never heard similar talk about any other animal.

And it's not a strictly rural thing.  I've seen the same attitude professed by suburbanites and city-dwellers.  But it's way more common among rednecks.  I probably would never have recognized this as something more than a few isolated people if not for growing up in small town Indiana.

I've tried to get people like this to explain to me what it's all about, and the only types of responses I've ever gotten are either some matter-of-fact statement that cats are wicked disgusting creatures to be exterminated (expressed as if it's strange that I don't see them as similar to a cockroach) or some kind of weird, vague thing about how they're just unsettling, often referencing the way they stare.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 04:53:50 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18578 on: April 27, 2018, 05:23:14 am »

I love animals and especially cats but cat murder is a Very Good Thing tm. Cats kill billions of creatures a year. They are more harmful to biodiversity than humans. They're causing more extinctions than we do.

One cat will go out and kill like three mice or birds or whatever a day. For fun. 21 a week.1096 a year. Times millions of cats. Oh and they reproduce in large litters and often.

Like I said I love cats but they are an exceptionally harmful invasive species.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18579 on: April 27, 2018, 06:18:26 am »

They're not an invasive species though
Love, scriver~

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18580 on: April 27, 2018, 06:24:16 am »

They are an invasive species, but only if you let them outside, but anyone who just murders cats is a horrible person

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18581 on: April 27, 2018, 06:33:32 am »

I was making a passive aggressive "not everywhere is the us" comment though :P

(Sorry Hans ;) )
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18582 on: April 27, 2018, 06:35:00 am »

One cat will go out and kill like three mice or birds or whatever a day. For fun. 21 a week.1096 a year. Times millions of cats. Oh and they reproduce in large litters and often.
That's almost cathater propaganda. Cats will only kill that many mice if whomever owns them never feeds them. If you give them enough food, they might occasionally hunt a mice or bird because hunting instinct, but that'd be closer to 3 per season than 3 per day. Still somewhat of a problem in cat-rich neighborhoods, I agree. 3 per season times hundred cats is still a lot of mice and birds to go missing in a neighborhood.

But if you see a cat that kills 1096 critters a year, like you say, you should adopt it and make sure it is properly fed.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18583 on: April 27, 2018, 07:13:57 am »

I was making a passive aggressive "not everywhere is the us" comment though :P

(Sorry Hans ;) )
If I can be playfully snarky back, does that mean cane toads aren't an invasive species? Not everywhere is Australia :P

Not touching the rest of this conversation, it's scary ):
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #18584 on: April 27, 2018, 07:19:01 am »

That's almost cathater propaganda. Cats will only kill that many mice if whomever owns them never feeds them. If you give them enough food, they might occasionally hunt a mice or bird because hunting instinct, but that'd be closer to 3 per season than 3 per day. Still somewhat of a problem in cat-rich neighborhoods, I agree. 3 per season times hundred cats is still a lot of mice and birds to go missing in a neighborhood.

But if you see a cat that kills 1096 critters a year, like you say, you should adopt it and make sure it is properly fed.
The problem being that there are more cats than there are people who want to look after said cats.

Also, I dislike cats myself. Mainly for the killing-for-no-reason thing (also applicable to many humans) but also because they're simply not friendly much of the time.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 1237 1238 [1239] 1240 1241 ... 1420