Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1235 1236 [1237] 1238 1239 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977203 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18540 on: April 24, 2018, 02:38:33 am »

Oh Jesus. I'm in Gympie, and - well, that fact alone would be terrifying enough, though I have managed to avoid unpleasant interactions with the locals for the most part so far - and there is a pack of bogans cavorting about across the street from where I'm sitting, congregated around a car (presumably packed with a supercharger to make it as noisy as possible when in use) and bellowing loudly, as bogans are wont to do.

I'm glad the blinds in this room have holes in them for the strings, large enough to allow one to peek through without the incredibly cliche giveaway of rustling the blinds. Still, perhaps they've scented cityfolk blood and are working themselves up into a killing frenzy over there? Idfk. At least I have beer. Not sure if my evening plans of drinking it whilst blasting heavy metal are quite such a good idea now, though.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18541 on: April 24, 2018, 09:14:40 am »

I think I'm getting addicted to the pain of looking at incel subreddits

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18542 on: April 24, 2018, 09:20:02 am »

Wait, those still exist? I thought r/incels got shut down after, y'know, the rape diatribes and whatnot.

But yeah, that's some good ol' metaphorical train wreck reading for ya. Your soul cringes, but you can't look away...

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18543 on: April 24, 2018, 09:32:30 am »

Wait, those still exist? I thought r/incels got shut down after, y'know, the rape diatribes and whatnot.

But yeah, that's some good ol' metaphorical train wreck reading for ya. Your soul cringes, but you can't look away...
r/braincels is still a thing. I wasn't able to see r/incels with my own eyes before it was banned but it's hard to imagine it being much worse.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18544 on: April 24, 2018, 10:07:57 am »

I'd forgotten what "incel" meant. I'm not sure I ever really knew to begin with. But I had a glance at that sub and jeez, that is pretty bad.
At first it just seemed like a lot of (occasionally somewhat misogynistic) in-jokes that I had no context for. Not so bad, right? Then I took a look at the comments and they seemed... bizarrely obnoxious.
And then I saw something about a "black pill" or something along those lines, a pill known for its ability to get subreddits banned, and like a fool I clicked a link to an example.

Kind of like a far, far nastier, less funny, more depressing version of that one joke in the IT Crowd. I hope I don't have nightmares about this. D:
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18545 on: April 24, 2018, 11:17:43 am »

If you have nightmares when encountering humans being sacks of shit, you must be a zombie, because such lack of sleep should result in insanity and death.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18546 on: April 24, 2018, 11:42:43 am »

Only pill I'm familiar with in that context is the red pill, in reference to the Matrix and "seeing things as they really are". I think that subreddit got trashcanned as well, after basically stating as a whole that women needed to be raped in order for them to realize their full potential as domestic partners (that being the only thing they were useful for).

And yeah, it's all legit. The "entitled 'nice guy' neckbeard" stereotype cranked up to eleven with a heavy helping of misogyny and bitter vitriol.

They did produce some funny stuff though, like their tests done to "expose that women were horrible, shallow hypocrites just as bad as the #allmen they liked to put down so much". Like the fake Tinder profile the one guy made using a male model's pictures, with a profile description talking about how his dating options were reduced due to his being on parole after forcing himself on a minor.

Yes, he matched with people.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18547 on: April 24, 2018, 11:56:45 am »

heh there was a show or something where they tested women's preference for tall men. Paraphrasing here: "what if we told you the short guy was CEO of his own company, what if the tall guy was a suspected child molester?" ... "no, still going for the tall guy". You have to try pretty damn hard to make a guy who's e.g. 6 inches shorter than another guy more appealing to the average woman.

Short guys don't get much sympathy, but going off statistics such as the pay gap, which is on the same scale as the raw gender pay gap, except there are no independent variables that explain it, they should probably be considered an oppressed group in a similar sense to women, LGBT, racial minorities etc.

e.g. being 6 foot tall amounts to earning $1000 a year more than someone merely 5'10". Height discrimination is thus an extremely strong predictor of how much money you'll be offered, it's actually a stronger correlation than gender once you adjust for things like level of education, hours worked etc. Possibly because people consciously adjust their gender and racial biases, but don't do the same thing for biases such as height.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 12:05:08 pm by Reelya »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #18548 on: April 24, 2018, 12:10:44 pm »

Excellent.

Women, abandon your short men. All 6' 3" of me is open for busy-ness.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18549 on: April 24, 2018, 02:33:16 pm »

Related: one of my favorite cracked.com comedy articles.

4 Things I Learned from the Worst Online Dating Profile Ever
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:40:54 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18550 on: April 24, 2018, 02:37:07 pm »

Excellent.

Women, abandon your short men. All 6' 3" of me is open for busy-ness.
I subconsciously assumed you were short, and it took me a moment to realize why.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18551 on: April 24, 2018, 03:08:43 pm »

Hah, yes. It is something of a misnomer.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #18552 on: April 24, 2018, 03:14:15 pm »

Gasp! He is the world's tallest dwarf!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18553 on: April 24, 2018, 04:52:44 pm »

That joke went right over my head.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18554 on: April 24, 2018, 04:54:35 pm »

It wouldn't go over my head. I would catch it.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 1235 1236 [1237] 1238 1239 ... 1420