Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1233 1234 [1235] 1236 1237 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977200 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18510 on: April 02, 2018, 11:36:34 am »

I recall it being a long-held consensus that Neanderthals didn't really have much of what we'd consider culture, but recently there's also been a paper about them being the likely authors of the oldest cave paintings found to date, so that might call into question certain ideas about what they were capable of.
Pike suggests that such reluctance to believe that Neanderthals were creating cave art may have less to do with methodological disputes than plain old species-ism. “People are very prejudiced against Neanderthals,” he says.

Paola Villa, an archaeologist who studies Neanderthal culture at the University of Colorado Boulder, says that Neanderthals have an undeserved reputation as moronic brutes. She says that since their bodies were “archaic” in the sense of having features of older hominids — such as heavier bones and pronounced brow ridges — everyone assumed they were “behaviourally archaic” as well. “They were stereotyped as knuckle-dragging dimwits,” she says.
60,000 year old racism lmao

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18511 on: April 02, 2018, 11:44:33 am »

I recall it being a long-held consensus that Neanderthals didn't really have much of what we'd consider culture, but recently there's also been a paper about them being the likely authors of the oldest cave paintings found to date, so that might call into question certain ideas about what they were capable of.

Yeah, a very recent studies published in Science overturns the prevalent idea in academic discourse that they lacked culture. Half a year ago you would have been completely correct, redwallzyl, but there's been a change of viewpoint since.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/beeld-van-domme-neanderthalers-kantelt-ze-maakten-grotkunst-ver-voordat-de-moderne-mens-europa-bereikte~a4572881/
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-02357-8

The Science article can probably only be found by those rich enough to gate the paywall.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18512 on: April 02, 2018, 12:11:38 pm »

I recall it being a long-held consensus that Neanderthals didn't really have much of what we'd consider culture, but recently there's also been a  paper about them being the likely authors of the oldest cave paintings found to date, so that might call into question certain ideas about what they were capable of.

Yeah, a very recent studies published in Science overturns the prevalent idea in academic discourse that they lacked culture. Half a year ago you would have been completely correct, redwallzyl, but there's been a change of viewpoint since.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/beeld-van-domme-neanderthalers-kantelt-ze-maakten-grotkunst-ver-voordat-de-moderne-mens-europa-bereikte~a4572881/
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-02357-8

The Science article can probably only be found by those rich enough to gate the paywall.
You two posted exactly the same thing  ???
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 12:13:20 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18513 on: April 02, 2018, 12:39:31 pm »

It's worth noting that
There is no solid evidence of Neanderthals being culturally modern.
is completely accurate. There is some, unclear evidence.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18514 on: April 02, 2018, 12:42:02 pm »

Yeah, two solid findings don't exactly overturn established paradigm, but it doesn't make the findings any less interesting.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18515 on: April 02, 2018, 12:47:38 pm »

Yeah, two solid findings don't exactly overturn established paradigm, but it doesn't make the findings any less interesting.
Indeed. To be honest, I've been in the minority who thought Neandertals were (reasonably) culturally modern for years. :P

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18516 on: April 02, 2018, 12:53:15 pm »

Ive found this article relating to ochre use at a neanderthal site dated to around ~220-250k + or - 40k years ago: http://www.pnas.org/content/109/6/1889

The researchers tested their null hypothesis that the hematite occurs naturally at the site by searching geological and archaeological records of digs in the region, none of which turned up any further hematite/ochre present in the riverbed or surroundings. The nearest source is 40km away. At one source site for hematite, flint fragments from the Maas region was found, suggesting movement between these two sites. Ochre particles also exclusively coat the outside of sediments that were deposited there, suggesting they must have been deposited after the clay and silt were deposited. So thats neat.

But that more suggests the presence of trade or sourcing materials far from home rather than warfare or conflict. Though if trade is beneficial, that implies your home lacks resources someone else has in excess, which is kinda an excuse for conflict if relations sour. Nothing about conflict at the site in question in the Maas river district though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18517 on: April 02, 2018, 02:04:34 pm »

I'm rather of the opinion that 40000 years is a really short period of time evolution-wise, and that technological discovery is not an indication of potential intelligence. Of note, I am not a historian or archaeologist or neander-thologist.

regardless, I'd be surprised if paleolithic man did not have a culture, even if they didn't have sweeping metropolises. There are examples of modern humans living in a primitive, tribal culture even today.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18518 on: April 02, 2018, 02:11:13 pm »

There are examples of modern humans living in a primitive, tribal culture even today.

EDIT: How are you quantifying how primitive a culture is? Because arguably America's pretty tribal right now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 02:17:56 pm by Trekkin »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18519 on: April 02, 2018, 02:29:06 pm »

Nah it's not, there's a definition of tribal society in that it is essentially pre-civilization.

Wikipedia phrases it as:

"A tribe is viewed, developmentally or economic, historically, as a social group existing outside of or before the development of states. A tribe is a group of distinct people, dependent on their land for their livelihood, who are largely self-sufficient, and not integrated into the national society. "

Anyway there are people in the world right now who live under these conditions and it isn't because they are fundamentally incapable, so why not back then? 40k isn't such a long time, though in the grim dark past there is only war they could totes have had some manner of culture.

I'm not saying there totes was, since there is a lack of sufficient, clear evidence. But it's not impossible, and could even be reasonably considered likely.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18520 on: April 02, 2018, 03:18:52 pm »

A tribe is a type of social organization. Its a bit of a blurry thing though. I could write a paper correcting peoples misconceptions about such terms.

Neanderthals do not nessisarly have to be culturally modern or not. Personally I am of the opinion that they much like humans transitioned from anatomic modernity to cultural modernity but were wiped out it grew to modern human levels.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18521 on: April 02, 2018, 03:20:55 pm »

I'm mostly sure that's what I was probably trying to say.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18522 on: April 02, 2018, 04:44:31 pm »

Indeed. To be honest, I've been in the minority who thought Neandertals were (reasonably) culturally modern for years. :P

Maximum Spin goes back in time to Neanderthal days.
MS: "Oh hello there old chap how are you doing?"
Neanderthal: "lol bae cash me ousside"
Love, scriver~

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18523 on: April 02, 2018, 05:10:58 pm »

Maximum Spin is my new favorite theory for the root cause of the Neanderthal extinction.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18524 on: April 02, 2018, 05:19:00 pm »

Maximum Spin is my new favorite theory for the root cause of the Neanderthal extinction.
can neither confirm nor deny
Pages: 1 ... 1233 1234 [1235] 1236 1237 ... 1420