Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1212 1213 [1214] 1215 1216 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1976793 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18195 on: October 16, 2017, 01:22:43 pm »

Do what you can now And forget the rest. If you're having regrets that means you're not in motion.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18196 on: October 16, 2017, 01:50:19 pm »

Do what you can now And forget the rest. If you're having regrets that means you're not in motion.
Alright. Alright, I will, whenever I get the chance.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18197 on: October 16, 2017, 01:55:31 pm »

For the record, I'm absolutely terrible at all the things I yell unsolicited advice about, so, you know. Eat some salt with it. I just want to say whatever makes people feel least worst fastest.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #18198 on: October 16, 2017, 03:16:09 pm »

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18199 on: October 16, 2017, 07:48:39 pm »

fluorine, seriously that shit is terrifying, it sets asbestos on fire you know, that stuff they used to cover walls in to prevent house fires before they realized it ruins your lungs Asbestos is Harmless (A registered trademark of Aperture science)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18200 on: October 17, 2017, 01:42:29 pm »

Fluorine ruins your lungs (and the rest of your body) 10 times more and 10 times faster. It will eat at your flesh until you are nothing but a charred skeleton.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18201 on: October 17, 2017, 01:48:25 pm »

Fluorine ruins your lungs (and the rest of your body) 10 times more and 10 times faster. It will eat at your flesh until you are nothing but a charred skeleton.

Far faster than 10x; fluorine is corrosive, where chrysotile asbestos is "just" a carcinogen.

Also, fluorine will corrode bone as well as flesh.

FOOF is more reactive, though. And fun to make!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18202 on: October 17, 2017, 06:29:08 pm »

fluorine, seriously that shit is terrifying, it sets asbestos on fire you know, that stuff they used to cover walls in to prevent house fires before they realized it ruins your lungs Asbestos is Harmless (A registered trademark of Aperture science)

Poe's law, there's actually a conservative lobby group who says asbestos was unfairly targeted.
https://web.archive.org/web/20090207201132/http://www.heartland.org:80/suites/environment/index.html

What distinguishes common-sense environmentalism from more extreme environmental activism is a commitment to fight real environmental problems rather than imagined ones and a realization that free markets are an ally rather than an enemy of environmental stewardship.
Over the years, environmental groups have launched campaigns against asbestos, dioxin, lead, mercury, pesticides, PCBs, chlorine, and endocrine disrupters. In every case, later research found the threats had been vastly exaggerated, and that public policies were adopted that cost far more than any benefits they created.

The key insight that environmental advocates, and the media that gives them sympathetic coverage, overlook is the First Law of Toxicology: The dose makes the poison. Many “toxic” chemicals are not dangerous if the level of exposure is below a threshold where physical affects can be observed, while many “harmless” chemicals can be deadly if we are exposed to too much of them. Many public health scares about chemicals are the result of overlooking this simple but important fact.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:30:58 pm by Reelya »

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18203 on: October 17, 2017, 06:35:56 pm »

I thought asbestos was bat guano

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18204 on: October 17, 2017, 07:05:22 pm »

Im not sure shit can be specifically cancerous, unless you read it on the internet of course
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18205 on: October 17, 2017, 07:16:17 pm »

Im not sure shit can be specifically cancerous, unless you read it on the internet of course

THE POWER OF WIKIPEDIA COMPELS YOU.

I get it tho.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18206 on: October 17, 2017, 07:21:56 pm »

Poe's law, there's actually a conservative lobby group who says asbestos was unfairly targeted.
https://web.archive.org/web/20090207201132/http://www.heartland.org:80/suites/environment/index.html

What distinguishes common-sense environmentalism from more extreme environmental activism is a commitment to fight real environmental problems rather than imagined ones and a realization that free markets are an ally rather than an enemy of environmental stewardship.
Over the years, environmental groups have launched campaigns against asbestos, dioxin, lead, mercury, pesticides, PCBs, chlorine, and endocrine disrupters. In every case, later research found the threats had been vastly exaggerated, and that public policies were adopted that cost far more than any benefits they created.

The key insight that environmental advocates, and the media that gives them sympathetic coverage, overlook is the First Law of Toxicology: The dose makes the poison. Many “toxic” chemicals are not dangerous if the level of exposure is below a threshold where physical affects can be observed, while many “harmless” chemicals can be deadly if we are exposed to too much of them. Many public health scares about chemicals are the result of overlooking this simple but important fact.
To be fair there are multiple things that fall into the category of asbestos that aren't as dangerous as others and its completely harmless when locked up in tings like tile as long as you don't break them. not that some aren't really dangerous which they are.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18207 on: October 17, 2017, 07:26:22 pm »

Usually carcinogens aren't specifically cancer-causing in the same way that pathogens have specific mechanisms tied to individual disease states; they tend to be either outright mutagens or somewhat more generic inhibitors of some part of DNA damage repair (which in turn increases the erroneous repair rate), but most mutations aren't going to do much to a somatic cell besides kill it, and one dead cell is unnoticeable. One cancer cell, though, eventually becomes a lot of cancer cells.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18208 on: October 17, 2017, 07:28:49 pm »

Poop has toxins in it. e.g. colon cancer is affected by what you eat. e.g. cancer poops.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18209 on: October 18, 2017, 02:03:00 am »

Why would you eat cancer poops
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 1212 1213 [1214] 1215 1216 ... 1420