Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1209 1210 [1211] 1212 1213 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1976753 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18150 on: September 25, 2017, 07:15:00 pm »

Ah, so kinda the opposite of my terror - moving back home.
For one thing, the people involved might see this - basically effortlessly if they try.  So that's fun.

I got into an argument with one of said people and let it escalate.  And it felt really good.  And for a little while, the stress of all this planning was a bit relieved, because I was only having to fix *my* situation instead of other people's.
I don't feel bad about the argument itself.  I really just stood up for my politics and left when things went too far, ignoring screamed invective in a parking lot with onlookers.  What worries me is...  Do I really want to share a home with this person?

Did I subconsciously do this on purpose so I'd stop and realize I'm making the same mistake I made so many times before?  Am I helping, or enabling, and consigning myself to walk on eggshells?
Basically there's no situation where he won't proudly share his political opinions as small talk.  Which can be fun, but some of our positions are irreconcilable, and he treats that like a challenge.  "Drop it" is also a challenge.

I mean, he was shouting at me in a parking lot as I pointed out onlookers and demanded he stop.  Even if I was constructing an excuse to change my mind, I think... that's a really good one?  Because I knew I could trigger it effortlessly.  Just by being honest, really.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18151 on: September 25, 2017, 11:39:29 pm »

Mom and I went for a night hike down to the river.  It wasn't cloudy enough for reflected city light this time, so we used a flashlight.  But I kept watching the dark forest and starry sky.  Occasionally I seemed to glimpse points of light between the trees, but I wasn't sure.  They were in the corner of my vision, particularly when I moved my head quickly, and only occasionally.  Mom was skeptical of fireflies in this season, and I agreed.

We got to the river, and admired the ruined dam a bit.  I even walked along the crumbled remnant, which was probably foolish in the dark.  That was pretty scary, as it's a pretty brutal drop, but I've been doing that since I was 8.  I know the gaps between the stones.

Walking along the river itself, I nearly stepped on a large frog.  It didn't try to escape, just stared at the flashlight.  We admired it for a few seconds, then looked away for a second.  As soon as the light was off it, it hopped away.  Kinda like a deer, heh.

Then I saw a tiny light on some roots just off the bank.  I called mom over, as more appeared.  We watched as they blinked on and off, much slower than fireflies.  They formed a sort of circle, there in the roots which extended off the bank.  I called it a fairy circle, lack of mushrooms aside.  I do, after all, believe in fairies.

But I assumed these were bugs, of course.  But they didn't behave like fireflies.  I took the flashlight and stepped to the edge of the bank, leaning down to get a better look at one.  It was hard to make out.  It was... too long, and scaley.  Almost like an elongated pillbug.  And its head looked... strange...

I heard grass rustle next to me, and a hint of motion.  I turned the light and saw a snake slithering past me from behind.  I'm not afraid of snakes, I grew up seeing black snakes pretty often.  But this one was orange.  Orange with... diamonds.  Mom urgently told me to back away, and I did, barely processing.  It was a copperhead, quite venomous.

They say that will'o'wisps are lights in the marsh which lure travelers to their doom.  The simplest explanation is that I saw some new type of bioluminescent bugs neither of us could identify after 30-some years in that area, and almost got bit by a snake which is known to be nocturnal.  But I do respect fairy tales, and believe there's truth in them.  Let's just say I'm glad I dodged that frog, and I won't chase fascinating lights by the water.

Also I really need health insurance :P
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18152 on: September 26, 2017, 04:19:47 am »

Bad hobbitses! Do not follow the lights!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18153 on: September 27, 2017, 10:35:48 am »

Bad hobbitses! Do not follow the lights! The light is your Friend. Please follow all instructions from the light. The light will keep you safe, deep in it's tummy.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18154 on: September 27, 2017, 11:25:40 am »

Mom and I went for a night hike down to the river.  It wasn't cloudy enough for reflected city light this time, so we used a flashlight.  But I kept watching the dark forest and starry sky.  Occasionally I seemed to glimpse points of light between the trees, but I wasn't sure.  They were in the corner of my vision, particularly when I moved my head quickly, and only occasionally.  Mom was skeptical of fireflies in this season, and I agreed.

We got to the river, and admired the ruined dam a bit.  I even walked along the crumbled remnant, which was probably foolish in the dark.  That was pretty scary, as it's a pretty brutal drop, but I've been doing that since I was 8.  I know the gaps between the stones.

Walking along the river itself, I nearly stepped on a large frog.  It didn't try to escape, just stared at the flashlight.  We admired it for a few seconds, then looked away for a second.  As soon as the light was off it, it hopped away.  Kinda like a deer, heh.

Then I saw a tiny light on some roots just off the bank.  I called mom over, as more appeared.  We watched as they blinked on and off, much slower than fireflies.  They formed a sort of circle, there in the roots which extended off the bank.  I called it a fairy circle, lack of mushrooms aside.  I do, after all, believe in fairies.

But I assumed these were bugs, of course.  But they didn't behave like fireflies.  I took the flashlight and stepped to the edge of the bank, leaning down to get a better look at one.  It was hard to make out.  It was... too long, and scaley.  Almost like an elongated pillbug.  And its head looked... strange...

I heard grass rustle next to me, and a hint of motion.  I turned the light and saw a snake slithering past me from behind.  I'm not afraid of snakes, I grew up seeing black snakes pretty often.  But this one was orange.  Orange with... diamonds.  Mom urgently told me to back away, and I did, barely processing.  It was a copperhead, quite venomous.

They say that will'o'wisps are lights in the marsh which lure travelers to their doom.  The simplest explanation is that I saw some new type of bioluminescent bugs neither of us could identify after 30-some years in that area, and almost got bit by a snake which is known to be nocturnal.  But I do respect fairy tales, and believe there's truth in them.  Let's just say I'm glad I dodged that frog, and I won't chase fascinating lights by the water.

Also I really need health insurance :P

The bugs were probably firefly larvae. They look a lot like what you describe and they're in season right now. Still, you shouldn't follow the lights. Walking around off the game trails in a strange bog at night is inadvisable.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:28:07 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18155 on: September 27, 2017, 04:28:56 pm »

Well, if you're gonna go chasing fairies, be sure to bring a bug net and a glass jar next time.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18156 on: September 27, 2017, 04:49:54 pm »

I'm leaving, on a jet plane.

Don't know when I'll be back again.
https://youtu.be/QSbPqin3L6E
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18157 on: September 27, 2017, 07:59:35 pm »

I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18158 on: September 28, 2017, 12:37:00 am »

Buying a home with ~all of my savings scares me a bit less now, after someone tackled me from behind as I tried to leave, punched my lip bloody, and strangled me until I gasped pleas for mercy.

I've got a new respect for life now.
Edit:  *My life
She/they

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18159 on: September 28, 2017, 12:50:50 am »

Dude are you okay!? Go to the hospital and talk to the cops. Be safe dude!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18160 on: September 28, 2017, 01:04:34 am »

I'm fine.  Mom doubted my story, but I'm far away now.
Gotta sign documents tomorrow, but I'm safely alone.

You can't choose your family.  You wouldn't.
She/they

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18161 on: September 28, 2017, 01:12:16 am »

Holy shit, dude. I don't even know what to say. That's so fucjed up.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18162 on: September 28, 2017, 01:21:47 am »

What the fuck?!
A family member did that, or am I reading this wrong? ??? That's terrifying either way, stay safe.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #18163 on: September 28, 2017, 04:43:02 am »

Ah yes.
Many times my brother has had his schizophrenia attack me.
The real pain is that a family member can do something like that when you slightly trusted them to not fly at you in wrath.
You're a tough intelligent guy though so just avoid that person.
Love you Rolan
××××××××××××××××××

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18164 on: October 14, 2017, 05:51:45 pm »

Apparently, a hurricane is headed my way (Ireland) on Monday.
I've backed up both my novels on Google and memory stick in case my computer gets trashed.
Hopefully I myself won't get trashed, I still haven't finished either of the bastards.
Pages: 1 ... 1209 1210 [1211] 1212 1213 ... 1420