Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1207 1208 [1209] 1210 1211 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1976670 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18120 on: September 19, 2017, 08:27:26 pm »

My method has always been "sudden and extreme violent murder frenzy" if wasps get too close to me or exist in my vicinity and are alone without support from their locus of evil.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18121 on: September 19, 2017, 08:33:58 pm »

My method has always been to produce mating pheromones to lure them into my mouth where I can effectively digest them with my lysozyme glands.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18122 on: September 19, 2017, 08:59:09 pm »

My method has always been to produce mating pheromones to lure them into my mouth where I can effectively digest them with my lysozyme glands.
Tell me more

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18123 on: September 19, 2017, 09:02:14 pm »

If you just mind your own business and aren't near their nest, even wasps and hornets usually just ignore you. You're not food, afterall.
See, this wouldn't be an issue if they didn't build their nests on, in, and around my "nest". In those cases I reserve full right to engage in chemical warfare.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18124 on: September 19, 2017, 09:21:52 pm »

*shrug*  to me it sounds like you're attempting to blow them
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18125 on: September 19, 2017, 10:19:34 pm »

While driving home, a pedestrian decided to cross against a green light (I had the light, he was jaywalking) in front of me without looking. Even seeing him walk up to the corner, hitting the breaks only allowed me to miss him by inches - had I been going even slightly above the speed limit, or had my reactions been even slightly slower, I would have slammed into the idiot in a van at thirty-five miles an hour. I can only thank Christ that I only drive sober and wasn't even a little bit tired.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18126 on: September 20, 2017, 03:16:49 am »

Protip: Blow gently on wasps, bees, anything like that, if they get too close. The CO2 in your breathe will generally cause them to think, "Shit, this place is no good." and fly elsewhere. Barring that, stay very still and calm. These two tricks work wonders. Bees are indeed awesome, but wasps and hornets also have their purposes.
I wouldn't recommend doing that anywhere near hornets. CO2 is their 'OMFG there's something breathing near our nest KILLING FRENZY MODE ACTIVATED BZZZZZZZZSTINGSTINGSTING' trigger
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18127 on: September 20, 2017, 04:01:43 am »

Protip: Blow gently on wasps, bees, anything like that, if they get too close. The CO2 in your breathe will generally cause them to think, "Shit, this place is no good." and fly elsewhere. Barring that, stay very still and calm. These two tricks work wonders. Bees are indeed awesome, but wasps and hornets also have their purposes.
I wouldn't recommend doing that anywhere near hornets. CO2 is their 'OMFG there's something breathing near our nest KILLING FRENZY MODE ACTIVATED BZZZZZZZZSTINGSTINGSTING' trigger

Yeah, bees are fine, they are pretty chill (especially Australian native bees, they're usually stingless) but wasps and hornets? do not want, don't go near, freeze up if there's a few near you. We have European wasps and they're nasty fuckers.

Adorable aquatic life gnaws away at your lifeline while you aren't looking.
Adorable aquatic life gnaws away at your flesh while you aren't looking.

Oh yeah, I know that beach! I actually swim there sometimes. It's totally fine during the day, but this guy was sitting totally still in cold water after nightfall, when the lysianassid amphipods come out to play and feast (generally on detritus and corpses of fish, but hey I guess a non-moving human leg is fair play).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18128 on: September 20, 2017, 08:10:21 am »

Yeah, bees are fine, they are pretty chill (especially Australian native bees, they're usually stingless) but wasps and hornets? do not want, don't go near, freeze up if there's a few near you. We have European wasps and they're nasty fuckers.
Hornets (at least the European ones) aren't very agressive as long as you don't get near their nest or breathe at them. Otherwise they're about as agressive as bumblebees (not at all, unless you accidentally sit on them or crush them between your armpits). European (German) wasps (vespula germanica) are nasty fuckers indeed though. They might not be very large, but later in the year, when they don't need to forage for proteins to feed larvae anymore, they switch to foraging sweet stuff for themselves, and get annoyingly agressive. They'll sting for no apparent reason.

EDIT: oh yeah, you're advise to freeze up isn't very good. Might work fine for bees and single foraging hornets. However, if you are already being chased, don't freeze, but just run and keep running.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:14:49 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18129 on: September 20, 2017, 09:15:26 am »

If you just mind your own business and aren't near their nest, even wasps and hornets usually just ignore you. You're not food, afterall.

That's debatable, they generally just have trouble ganging up on you in large enough numbers to take you down ;)

Oh yeah, I know that beach! I actually swim there sometimes. It's totally fine during the day, but this guy was sitting totally still in cold water after nightfall, when the lysianassid amphipods come out to play and feast (generally on detritus and corpses of fish, but hey I guess a non-moving human leg is fair play).

Then how would you ever go on sunset/midnight naked dips in summer?
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18130 on: September 20, 2017, 09:51:21 am »

Thats not wasps, that's tyrannosaurus
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18131 on: September 20, 2017, 10:05:09 am »

That's debatable, they generally just have trouble ganging up on you in large enough numbers to take you down ;)

Then how would you ever go on sunset/midnight naked dips in summer?

Not as common in summer, plus if you move around they can't get a good enough grip on you. These amphipods aren't great at holding on, and they only really exist in the shallows, so if you're actually swimming around, you're fine.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18132 on: September 20, 2017, 02:31:57 pm »

Oh, so they're basically australia's leeches? Except instead of being almost completely harmless they will chew your legs off :P
Love, scriver~

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18133 on: September 20, 2017, 03:51:29 pm »

Oh, so they're basically australia's leeches? Except instead of being almost completely harmless they will chew your legs off :P

No, they're more like very miniature crabs who cluster and eat.

Our leeches are like our leeches.

Regarding the wasps, yeah i wouldn't advise freezing up if you're being chased by a hive of them, but if it's just like one or two come to inspect your drink or food or yourself, then freezing up is fine.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18134 on: September 20, 2017, 04:35:07 pm »

No, they're more like very miniature crabs who cluster and eat.

This is why I keep all my relationships with Australians strictly platonic. I'm just not risking it.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 1207 1208 [1209] 1210 1211 ... 1420