Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1200 1201 [1202] 1203 1204 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1976453 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18015 on: September 03, 2017, 04:10:09 pm »

I personally would never trade the ability to leave my house for a few extra years of life. Why would you assume that's good for animals in any way?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18016 on: September 03, 2017, 06:55:53 pm »

\
EDIT: looks like Google is pretty much wrong then about Dutch wildlife.
let's see... Foxes? Extremely rare. Won't find in cities like you can in the UK. Not a threat to city cats.
Wolves? Nope. Once every few years a German or Polish tourists pulls off a stunt, and drops a dead wolf on Dutch roads. Then the nature freaks all go hype 'THE WOLF HAS RETURNED TO THE NETHERLANDS AFTER BEING EXTINCT FOR 2 CENTURIES', only to come to the conclusion after genetic testing that it's a hoax wolf from Poland.
Bears? Lol, just no. There's no bears in the Netherlands. Don't think there have been for at least 1000 years.
Badgers? If you see one, call the newspaper. They're either extinct or maybe there's one breeding pair still hiding somewhere under a rock in the National Park de Hooge Veluwe.
Beavers? Okay, we have some that were released back into the wild about 20 years ago, and that turned out to be a really succesful project. Water management is even starting to ask permission to cull their populations, because their dams threaten our water management. They're nowhere near where I live though.
Hawks? We have some small birds of prey, they're pretty darn rare, and even the largest one is nowhere near large enough to tackle a cat.
For fucks sake man do you even have wildlife.

I mean I live in NYC so I'm not going to condemn your localized mass extinction event but come on now. Are you telling me there is nothing where you live big enough to threaten a common housecat?

I personally would never trade the ability to leave my house for a few extra years of life. Why would you assume that's good for animals in any way?
By contrast, I would totally take that deal, provided it came with a job allowing for a life like that (obviously one of the benefits of living indoors is people feed you, so that seems like a fair deal).

For what it's  worth, my cat is something like... 16 now? 17 maybe. He's lived indoors all his life and seems perfectly healthy, minus an as-yet unidentified thing on his lip (vet told us it is likely a wart). Still seems to have as much energy as when we first got him 12 years ago or so.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:30:58 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18017 on: September 03, 2017, 07:50:43 pm »

Wouldn't the native wildlife for a lot of the Netherlands technically be fish? :P

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18018 on: September 03, 2017, 08:09:36 pm »

Don't think of it as trading the ability to leave your house for a few extra years of life, think of it as trading the ability to leave a (usually) much safer environment for a significant extra chunk of lifespan since housecats have an average lifespan of about 15 years, not to mention that even in places with no wildlife, there are still things such as traffic, other cats, diseases from other cats and animal control euthanization

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18019 on: September 04, 2017, 02:01:16 am »

I mean I live in NYC so I'm not going to condemn your localized mass extinction event but come on now. Are you telling me there is nothing where you live big enough to threaten a common housecat?

Nope. We don't have wild nature, we don't have wildlife. We have some aurochsen in a National Park and some Przwalsky horses roaming parkified polders, but there's no large predators here.
Housecats are the top predator we have.
The Netherlands is a bit like New Zealand, as in, you won't find anything poisonous or otherwise lethal. We have a grand total of 3 native snakes, one is poisonless, the other is an earthworm (also poisonless I believe), the last is a viper with poison so weak it can't even kill a child. All three are also basically extinct, you'll have to camp on the heather for a few years to spot one. Most dangerous animal in our country is the tick, for carrying Lyme's disease.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:06:35 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18020 on: September 04, 2017, 02:09:17 am »

Don't think of it as trading the ability to leave your house for a few extra years of life, think of it as trading the ability to leave a (usually) much safer environment for a significant extra chunk of lifespan since housecats have an average lifespan of about 15 years, not to mention that even in places with no wildlife, there are still things such as traffic, other cats, diseases from other cats and animal control euthanization

Traffic, check. Problem. Which is why I chose to live in a house in a neighborhood with speed humps (traffic island? dunno the english word) everywhere and 30km/h max speed.
Diseases from other cats? Nah, cats are vaccinated once every few years.
Animal control euthanization? Nope. They've got microhips under their skin.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:11:17 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18021 on: September 04, 2017, 02:12:19 am »

That sounds goddamn dystopian. I got my fill of over-settlement in a week of LA, but to have that sort of thing spread out over an entire nation...I'm surprised your greens aren't ecoterrorists after living in that kind of environment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18022 on: September 04, 2017, 02:18:56 am »

We have lots of parks, city trees, and rural areas. There's just no original nature left. Our largest piece of 'nature' is National Park de Hooge Veluwe, which isn't really nature, it was hand planted as a hunting ground for the royal family a few centuries ago.

The only exception is our coastal area. Our wads are international protected wildlife preserves. They're very important for migrating birds, and a cradle for baby fish.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18023 on: September 04, 2017, 05:46:53 am »

Nope. We don't have wild nature, we don't have wildlife. We have some aurochsen in a National Park and some Przwalsky horses roaming parkified polders, but there's no large predators here.
Housecats are the top predator we have.
The Netherlands is a bit like New Zealand, as in, you won't find anything poisonous or otherwise lethal. We have a grand total of 3 native snakes, one is poisonless, the other is an earthworm (also poisonless I believe), the last is a viper with poison so weak it can't even kill a child. All three are also basically extinct, you'll have to camp on the heather for a few years to spot one. Most dangerous animal in our country is the tick, for carrying Lyme's disease.

It's nothing like New Zeeland. NZ has no naturally occurring large predators. Old Zeeland killed off all of theirs and destroyed all wild habitat.

Wouldn't the native wildlife for a lot of the Netherlands technically be fish? :P

I was going to say, heir localised mass extinction event was called critical oceanic draught.
Love, scriver~

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18024 on: September 04, 2017, 06:35:31 am »

It's nothing like New Zeeland. NZ has no naturally occurring large predators. Old Zeeland killed off all of theirs and destroyed all wild habitat.
Not quite true. We had the Haast's eagle, but they died out after their main food source was hunted to extinction. Pretty much everything else here loses to cats and dogs though.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18025 on: September 04, 2017, 08:42:53 am »

Holy shit I was gonna go all "I said large predators" on you but then I had a random impulse to actually google it before I posted.

That is one big birdie.
Love, scriver~

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18026 on: September 04, 2017, 10:46:53 am »

Now go look up the Quetzalcoatlus (which when I was a kid I actually knew how to spell, but now had to look up "largest pterodactyl" to get anything more than list of dragon tale episodes) IIRC largest flying animal to ever live (that or the second largest) and ate dinosaurs

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18027 on: September 04, 2017, 11:24:24 am »

Well, there's always the chickenhawk.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18028 on: September 04, 2017, 01:44:21 pm »

Martinuzz, what the hell is an "aurochsen" in English? Aurochs are *extinct.*
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18029 on: September 04, 2017, 02:03:23 pm »

Martinuzz, what the hell is an "aurochsen" in English? Aurochs are *extinct.*
My friends... welcome... to Neolithic Park

https://youtu.be/-w-58hQ9dLk
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 1200 1201 [1202] 1203 1204 ... 1420