Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1976414 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17970 on: August 04, 2017, 02:42:55 pm »

I think EH's point was that if climate change keeps on going, India and China will have nothing to lose in a nuclear war, as their current land would become uninhabitable anyway. Of course, there's the matter of them having the first and second highest populations in the world, which said war would no doubt kill, but if we only look at the land...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 02:44:43 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17971 on: August 04, 2017, 02:45:01 pm »

This might turn out much, much worse for Africa.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17972 on: August 05, 2017, 01:04:11 am »

I wonder if we'll have something similar to the situation depicted at the beginning of Interstellar - massive ecological collapse everywhere where the majority of crops fail and you have Dust Bowl-like conditions again. Except that rather than being limited to the American Midwest like the original Dust Bowl it's across most of the current temperate farmland.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #17973 on: August 05, 2017, 01:21:06 am »

The real question is at what point India and China start threatening to nuke us if we don't cut back our emissions.  Oh what you gonna do, turn our uninhabitable wasteland into a radioactive uninhabitable wasteland?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I detect a problem
Presumably at that point they would have cut their own emissions.  Seeing as how its massively in their interests.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17974 on: August 05, 2017, 07:04:59 am »

Presumably at that point they would have cut their own emissions.  Seeing as how its massively in their interests.
So you have a scenario where:
1. One option is massively in the interests of literal billions of people for millennia to come
2. One option is massively in the interests of a few thousand people for the next few years

I'm not optimistic

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17975 on: August 06, 2017, 12:57:11 am »

I think EH's point was that if climate change keeps on going, India and China will have nothing to lose in a nuclear war, as their current land would become uninhabitable anyway. Of course, there's the matter of them having the first and second highest populations in the world, which said war would no doubt kill, but if we only look at the land...
Nothing to lose, other than the remaining habitable land.

Maybe try zerg rush instead?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:58:45 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17976 on: August 06, 2017, 06:22:48 am »

Waitwaitwait, there may be unforeseen opportunities there. What sort of flora and fauna could still survive at these temperatures?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17977 on: August 06, 2017, 07:50:59 am »

Waitwaitwait, there may be unforeseen opportunities there. What sort of flora and fauna could still survive at these temperatures?
Burrowing mammals, mosquitoes and bedouin nomads

Also there are a few Saharan species of plants and animals that evolved to endure no water, 50*C/0*C day/night conditions as standard like the saharan desert ant, and I guess those weird bacteria in kamchatka would thrive if the earth turned into a big hot spring

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17978 on: August 06, 2017, 08:49:57 am »

Burrowing mammals, mosquitoes and bedouin nomads

Hidden away within the rocks of these deserts are a people known as the Fremen, who have long held a prophecy that a man would come...  a messiah, who would lead them to true freedom.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17979 on: August 06, 2017, 11:17:03 am »

OH GOD THE DUNESTALGIA.... also, I'm pretty sure I might be the only person my age who's read those books (not even all of them, as I was unable to acquire all of them)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17980 on: August 06, 2017, 12:30:56 pm »

There was only one Dune book worth reading anyway.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17981 on: August 06, 2017, 02:04:08 pm »

There was only one Dune book worth reading anyway.

Eh, I've also heard God-Emperor of Dune[Or whatever the fourth one was called] was pretty good, although I confess I've never read past the first one myself.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17982 on: August 06, 2017, 02:47:07 pm »

After, Dune, the series got really weird, and not really in all that good a way. Of course, it has been a decade or so since I last read any of it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17983 on: August 06, 2017, 02:59:39 pm »

Eh, I remember some of them being worth reading, but not in the same way as dune itself. As you say, some of it got really weird, talking giant god sandworm emperor thing. But surreality can be reason in itself to peruse.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17984 on: August 06, 2017, 06:00:41 pm »

Apartment hunting.
Considering having roommates again.
Imagining convincing 2-3 other people that I'm in any way a reliable person.  Wondering what sort of people might say yes, like last time.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 1420