Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1975860 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17835 on: June 16, 2017, 05:49:59 pm »

Clearly the solution is nanobots.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17836 on: June 16, 2017, 06:04:00 pm »

Clearly the solution is nanobots. MAAAAGMAAAA

Just gonna leave this here...
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17837 on: June 16, 2017, 06:07:42 pm »

Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17838 on: June 16, 2017, 06:11:48 pm »

Yes, broken images scare the crap out of me as well.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17839 on: June 16, 2017, 06:12:00 pm »

Quantum nanomachines. Operating at the Planck size.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17840 on: June 16, 2017, 06:17:47 pm »

Talking about edges, I just read a science-fiction novel in which a giant battleship was sliced apart by a net of nanomaterials. This was more terrifying and impressive in the book than I'm saying here, but that's really a terrifying way to die. You don't see it coming because the net is too small to be seen by the naked eye, then suddenly you're split into three pieces and everything around you falls apart like a shitty sandwich.
The Three-Body Problem, by any chance?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17841 on: June 16, 2017, 06:20:59 pm »

Works fine for me, browser problem?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17842 on: June 16, 2017, 06:24:20 pm »

Works fine for me, browser problem?
It's probably still in your browser cache, so you can see it. If the website you're posting from (Facebook?) doesn't allow linking images then no one who hasn't already seen it will be able to.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17843 on: June 16, 2017, 11:20:24 pm »

I can see the image. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really, when it comes down to it everyone is either edgy, piercing or blunt. Or maybe some sort of elemental damage.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17844 on: June 17, 2017, 01:08:22 am »

If only they'd made their ship armour out of nanomaterials as well.
Ironically, they were pushing to end the development of said nanomaterial before the organization on the ship got massacred by it.

Talking about edges, I just read a science-fiction novel in which a giant battleship was sliced apart by a net of nanomaterials. This was more terrifying and impressive in the book than I'm saying here, but that's really a terrifying way to die. You don't see it coming because the net is too small to be seen by the naked eye, then suddenly you're split into three pieces and everything around you falls apart like a shitty sandwich.
The Three-Body Problem, by any chance?

Ayup
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17845 on: June 26, 2017, 01:34:50 am »

Just squashed a mosquito on my window curtains.
Got blood everywhere.
Ew.
Ima malaria now
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17846 on: June 27, 2017, 08:33:17 am »

Since this afternoon (GMT), worldwide shipping lanes have ground to a halt (at least those run by AMP). A major cyberattack has hit the computer systems of APM terminals, part of the Moller-Maersk group (the largest container shipping company in the world), which has crippled the logistics systems used to load and unload sea containers. The major European port of Rotterdam had to shut down it's container terminals this afternoon, effectively halting trade.
Furthermore, the cyberattack has also made communication with container ships out on the ocean impossible.

The attack is presented to those afflicted as a ransomware attack, asking 300 dollars in bitcoins per system to unlock the files.

It is not yet known if this is a new variant of wannacry, or a completely new virus.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/economie/containerterminals-in-haven-rotterdam-liggen-plat-vanwege-hack-door-gijzelsoftware~a4502999/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:37:28 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17847 on: June 27, 2017, 11:42:55 am »

The attack didn't stop at Maersk. Ukraine was hit hard, with part of it's electricity network being disabled, and government services and banks ransomware'd .
In Russia, the state oil company Rosneft was attacked.
According to Christiaan Beek, researcher at McAfee, the attack is comparable in scale to last may's wannacry attack.
Among others, the Ukraine, Germany, Russia, Poland, Spain, the US, Danmark and the Netherlands have so far been hit by the rapidly spreading attack. There's no reports of it affecting Asian countries.

McAfee is still analyzing the attack, but they do believe that it is an attack using two different variants. One variant encrypts a limited amount of files, while the other variant shuts down the entire system. Again, it's Windows machines that are vulnerable. It is not yet known wich versions are vulnerable.
It looks like part of the virus' code makes the Windows machine crash. When it is rebooted, the ransomware takes over the system and encrypts every file, demanding ransom to unlock.

Trend Micro is also investigating. Lead researcher Albert Kramer calls it 'a very interesting attack'. On the one hand, the virus is smart like wannacry, for example by taking timezones and language settings into account while spreading. But on the other hand, it uses a single static bitcoin adress to which payments are to be made.
"That is really weird. There is no reason to do that. Using only one static adress, it is impossible to tell who made a payment."
So far, not many payments have been made. At 18:oo GMT, only 13 payments were made.

Both McAfee and Trend Micro suspect that the attackers may not be in it for the money. "Perhaps it is a diversion", Kramer specualtes.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17848 on: June 27, 2017, 11:47:23 am »

Diversion? Whatever happened to hackers doing this sort of shit just because they can?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17849 on: June 27, 2017, 11:59:39 am »

What Cinder said, what exactly would it be a diversion from?

Once again, it's linked to leaked NSA tools, so, the NSA now has even more egg on their faces.
Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 1420