Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1971705 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17535 on: February 03, 2017, 02:11:59 pm »

If I ever get called to jury duty my strategy will be to do nothing because we don't have juries here.
Love, scriver~

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17536 on: February 03, 2017, 02:14:44 pm »

Oh hey, a topic on which I have experience!
What a turnaround :P

I actually served on a jury once. It was an interesting look at how real courtrooms work (as opposed to TV drama or Phoenix Wright) and it got me excused from serving again for...two years, I think?
I served on jury! Literally the Monday I got back from college I got the letter. Bastards. I'll keep out the identifying details.
My strategy if I ever get called to jury duty is to wait for the initial interview where the prosecutor and the defense attorney can exclude potential jurors, and tell them both that I am very grateful for this opportunity, because I've always had a gift to look into a person's eyes and instantly know whether they are guilty or not.
If that doesn't work, tell them you can smell guilt from someone's armpit sweat, and ask if you will be allowed to sniffle the accused (while demonstatively sticking your nose under the prosecutor's arm).
I never got the chance. When called up for a Grand Jury (at least where I live), you must serve if you are able, and if you can't serve currently you have the option (which is your only option: you can only decide between this and serving) to be deferred a few weeks to try again then; however if you defer you must serve at that time (unless you can demonstrate you aren't a citizen or can't speak english, I believe; they might just put you on a spanish-language trial for all I know, or provide you with an interpreter). Since they only need a simple majority, they don't care if they get crazies (at least I don't think; I don't know what would happen, but it probably isn't "let you go scott free"). When you "volunteer", they take names out of some lotto machine: they call up a bunch of people, and anyone who volunteered but didn't get called does go off scott-free, and they can't call you for 4 years or something. As our jury guy pointed out, though, don't volunteer expecting to not get called, most do. Someone tried that, and they got assigned to my group and spent the entire 4-weeks very unhappy (and they have to repeat it because they didn't show up half the time). Pays well enough though, and your employer cannot fire you for serving (in fact, the city will match whatever money you would have made otherwise). The worst part is that the punishment for not serving is a fine, AND that you still have to serve anyway, with "Must Serve" jury letter.

Spoiler: More details (click to show/hide)

Short version: It was an "experience". Definitely one appropriate for terrified thread, though.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:39:48 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17537 on: February 03, 2017, 02:16:37 pm »

"Maaan, I've always wanted to decide the fate of another human being! Wonder if this is a death penalty case..."

I got called for Jury duty but got excused because, iirc, it was during exams...? Something to do with being in school.

My mum, who's nearing 60, has never been called for jury duty*. My brothers waifu has apparently been called thrice. :V It's really hit or miss...

E: *Incorrect, she got called just before she was going in for a hip replacement. Never heard back after she told them that she's disabled (either because of hip-fuckery or because surgery recovery, depending on when she'd be called in and if they'd force her to postpone the surgery*)

*don't think they do that in Canada but I'm not entirely sure.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:20:37 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17538 on: February 03, 2017, 02:25:54 pm »

A layman jury is just unimaginable for me.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17539 on: February 03, 2017, 02:28:32 pm »

?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17540 on: February 03, 2017, 02:33:09 pm »

It's one of those cultural things. To North Americans, it makes more sense and comfort that if you do something bad, it has to be bad enough that (once properly explained to them the basic laws involved) other people (supposedly) similar to you can look at what you did and go "Yeah, bro, you fucked up bad." Jury of your peers and all that.

As opposed to someone who, while more knowledgable about the laws involved, isn't in the same life situation as you and may not really care about the circumstances of your life. It's the idea that while both groups/people might jail you for murdering someone in cold blood, the jury of your peers would be less likely to jail you for stealing bread to survive. To quote two extremes. It adds a more "human" factor for want of a better term, since judges are human too. Plus it needs to be bad enough that 12 people can look at it and "Yeah, you fucked up," rather than a single judge.

Disclaimer: I don't rightly know how other judicial systems work out the guilty/not-guilty thing, I'm assuming it's judge fiat, but I could be wrong. Professional juries are a possibility (As in, juries who's job it is to be juries, not juries made of unrelated professions)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17541 on: February 03, 2017, 02:35:00 pm »

?
In many European countries, trials are decided exclusively by one or more judges.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17542 on: February 03, 2017, 02:36:44 pm »

"Maaan, I've always wanted to decide the fate of another human being! Wonder if this is a death penalty case..."

I got called for Jury duty but got excused because, iirc, it was during exams...? Something to do with being in school.

My mum, who's nearing 60, has never been called for jury duty*. My brothers waifu has apparently been called thrice. :V It's really hit or miss...
Guy I was with had already been on a grand-jury before. His was mostly weed-cases though, and really easy ones too; a lot different from big 'ole murder trial.
*don't think they do that in Canada but I'm not entirely sure.
Wikipedia says 'Under Canadian law, a person has the right to a jury trial for all crimes punishable by five years of imprisonment or more.'
Technically it's not laymen anymore, we are Jurors, and thus represent the people of the State.

Wikipedia tells me that Juries are found in different parts of the world, but that it usually depends on the nature of the crime.
?
In many European countries, trials are decided exclusively by one or more judges.
Wikipedia also informs me that only two countries use Grand Juries; the US and Liberia. Go Team America!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17543 on: February 03, 2017, 02:40:24 pm »

I have no knowledge of the judicial systems of other nations. Is trial by peers unusual in Europe? Do you still get tried by nobles and professional lawmen?
I've actually never had a passport or the chance to travel, so I've never cared enough to investigate.

I did get selected for jury duty a few months back, but they cancelled it before they even called me in so I'm good for another two years :v
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17544 on: February 03, 2017, 05:00:42 pm »

Nobles, no. Professional lawmen, yes.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17545 on: February 03, 2017, 06:39:06 pm »

As it should be!

What terrified me today apart from the concept of trial-by-jury: Apparently informatics students and researchers - at least at my university - denote the distance between two points x and y by |x y|.  *shudders*
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17546 on: February 03, 2017, 06:47:22 pm »

What terrified me today apart from the concept of trial-by-jury: Apparently informatics students and researchers - at least at my university - denote the distance between two points x and y by |x y|.  *shudders*
Well? I mean, how do you denote it? And what's your field, for reference?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17547 on: February 03, 2017, 07:10:01 pm »

Mathematics. I'd write d(x,y), if the metric isn't implicitly clear, or |x - y| for the Euclidean one. ||x - y|| if it's derived from a norm || - ||.

But |x y|? That's just horrible style - there needs to be some symbol distinguising x and y. Using just a whitespace won't do: What if I have a point named xy? (On a more technical level this complaint boils down to the whitespace symbol never having been defined anywhere, and doing so being a horrible idea for obvious reasons.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17548 on: February 03, 2017, 07:47:36 pm »

|x - y|
That's what I'd use. I kinda thought you just missed the "-" there by accident, huh.
That's kinda weird. I don't really think it's some sort of terrible informatics tradition, though. Or maybe I'm just doing the wrong kind of informatics to be aware of it? Who knows.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17549 on: February 04, 2017, 12:57:44 am »

This weather. It is terrifying. The snowplows aren't clearing it fast enough
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 ... 1420