Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1167 1168 [1169] 1170 1171 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1971717 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17520 on: February 01, 2017, 10:52:15 am »

I have to go to court tomorrow for my accident last week. It will almost certainly be a minor thing - the citation I was given isn't too serious, it is a first offense, and the biggest reason that I even have to go is that I was too loopy after (and as a result of, it is quite a disorienting experience) the accident to locate my current insurance card (which I can provide easily enough) and thus couldn't prove I had it.

That said, it is an enormous stress on me right now, particularly the "almost" part. There is always the possibility of the judge taking a very hard line for a variety of reasons (some good, some not so good), and if I get the maximum fine (or a most-unlikely license suspension) it will be a major strain, particularly since I need to buy a new car once my check from Uncle Sam gets here, and every dollar counts.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17521 on: February 01, 2017, 02:10:46 pm »

Our pig has learned she can climb over the fence whenever she wants. She did get back in when I put her breakfast out, and she sleeps in the shed in there. Hopefully she doesnt hurt herself or something, because we can't actually build a better fence until spring. I rectified the fence as it stands but literally all shebdid was flop her chin on it and press down, and there's nothing I can do about that.

That sheep will get lonely if the pig decides to live with the horses or ssomething, although there aren't any other good places for the pig to sleep besides her shed. Or if the sheep gets out coyotes might chase her away and kill her. They've been real close the last few nights, like right down by the road
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #17522 on: February 01, 2017, 02:21:43 pm »

I'm not exactly terrified, but I'm having all four wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic tomorrow. Not too much that can go wrong, but I've never had to be put under before and you never know.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17523 on: February 01, 2017, 02:39:52 pm »

Trust me on this one: the less time you're conscious in a medical setting, the better, as a rule of thumb. Even if it can be done with local anaesthetic, you'd probably be better off not being around when it happens.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17524 on: February 01, 2017, 03:53:30 pm »

How would you go about teaching social skills to hikkomoris who have missed out so much?
I could be misreading, but I had a similar reaction...
I don't think it was a complaint of the technique.
Maybe this is how the behavioural sink begins

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17525 on: February 01, 2017, 04:28:09 pm »

I'm not exactly terrified, but I'm having all four wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic tomorrow. Not too much that can go wrong, but I've never had to be put under before and you never know.
Heh, are you sure it is nescessary? They pulled mine with local anaesthetic, but then again, they only did 2 at a time, and they didn't need to cut, just pry and stitch.

EDIT": anyways, good luck
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17526 on: February 01, 2017, 07:26:16 pm »

Though, if you were the defendant, I'd have some recommendations. Since I've been a defendant before, it would start like this.

Not to get too personal, but did you get acquitted? Particularly if, shall we say, the facts of the case were against you?

Asking because that would make your advice more proven. Either way, it seems sensible stuff.

I'm considering digging around in my posts to save myself the typing, but I won't.

I never actually went to court as a defendant except to offer my confession of guilty (as all fucking hell) because it was the best possible option at the time. That being said, I was charged with two class C felony charges (2 to 7 years in prison possible penalty per charge) for possession of drugs. There were some suppression-of-rights involved, but you don't win those cases here in Middle America Bible Belt Podunk County courts. I plead guilty and took Drug Court, an enhanced supervised probation program for substance abuse offenders. I successfully completed it, oh, three years ago? Four? I learned a lot more whilst on Drug Court about court than in the rest of my life. I successfully managed to avoid additional jail-time on several occasions due to some of the tactics I mentioned, as well as some undefinable amount of personal charisma (apparently I'm likable enough in person) and luck. I ended the program with only a single arrest on my record. Meaning I'm not a felon. I own a gun, I have a passport, etc.

I'd be happy to answer in-depth questions if you PM me, as to not clutter the thread. I can dissect the whole program for you layer by layer, tell you about other people that I was on court with (sans names of course), talk about my jail time, rehab time, etc. It was a very fascinating learning experience.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17527 on: February 02, 2017, 04:40:25 pm »

Is trying to manipulate people used to people trying to manipulate them really a good idea regardless of your innocence, though?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17528 on: February 02, 2017, 04:56:43 pm »

Is trying to manipulate people used to people trying to manipulate them really a good idea regardless of your innocence, though?
Jury of your peers?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17529 on: February 03, 2017, 09:18:04 am »

Jury of your peers?

This. The judge and 'enemy' lawyers are not who you need to worry about. It's the 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17530 on: February 03, 2017, 09:34:23 am »

It's not nice to insult the 12 people that decide your fate, you know...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17531 on: February 03, 2017, 09:36:58 am »

It's not nice to insult the 12 people that decide your fate, you know...

I believe a comedian is the one who originally came up with the saying. I actually respect jurors quite a bit. It's a difficult, unrewarding, important, and often overlooked job that no one wants but everyone should do.
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17532 on: February 03, 2017, 09:50:12 am »

What a turnaround :P

I actually served on a jury once. It was an interesting look at how real courtrooms work (as opposed to TV drama or Phoenix Wright) and it got me excused from serving again for...two years, I think?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17533 on: February 03, 2017, 10:42:15 am »

My strategy if I ever get called to jury duty is to wait for the initial interview where the prosecutor and the defense attorney can exclude potential jurors, and tell them both that I am very grateful for this opportunity, because I've always had a gift to look into a person's eyes and instantly know whether they are guilty or not.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17534 on: February 03, 2017, 12:23:26 pm »

If that doesn't work, tell them you can smell guilt from someone's armpit sweat, and ask if you will be allowed to sniffle the accused (while demonstatively sticking your nose under the prosecutor's arm).
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 1167 1168 [1169] 1170 1171 ... 1420