Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1971606 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17490 on: January 23, 2017, 04:19:49 pm »

Are you saying there's an excess of donated corpses nowadays?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17491 on: January 23, 2017, 04:20:36 pm »

No, I'm saying there's no way that's going to be cost effective without dummying it out. And if you're going to dummy it out, might as wel stick with a dummy.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17492 on: January 23, 2017, 04:23:03 pm »

Maybe I'm too optimistic in my expectations of 3d printing development.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17493 on: January 23, 2017, 04:28:27 pm »

It's not as much a matter of it being too optimistic about it's development as it's about being too optimistic about it being cheap, or easy, or simple. Or rather, maybe it's just being too optimistic about what you need for education: any replica of a human body will be a poor reference by default. Even preserved corpses are rather lousy substitutes. But I dare say that their shittyness and non-standardness is a virtue in this regard. You get used to lousy, non-standard corpses and it's actually better because humans don't come in standard one-size-fits-all.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17494 on: January 23, 2017, 06:21:44 pm »

I think I'd settle for a body of metal and circuits myself.
Gotta preserve my own brain somehow though.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17495 on: January 23, 2017, 06:38:54 pm »

Replace it cell for cell with cornflakes and everything should be good.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17496 on: January 24, 2017, 04:40:50 am »

Maybe I'm too optimistic in my expectations of 3d printing development.

not to beat a dead horse, but I want to point out that I dont disagree in the wide opportunities made avaiable by 3d printing or bioprinting. Just that IMO it isn't cost effective for teaching, and that it's not realistic enough to give a bioprinted thibg to a student and say, "eh, close enough to the real deal"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17497 on: January 24, 2017, 08:23:46 pm »

Black Mirror.
S1:E1 was... mm.  Decent sci-fi, explored interestingly, but the twist was lacking.  Seemed a bit too shock-value.

Fortunately I saw S2:E4 with my dad a while back, which was a damn good choice.  Don Draper's actor plays a character who helps people copy themselves into simulations, then... helps the copies through the process.
*shivers*  Reminds me of a short story I think I've shared before, but I don't know the name.  This was went much darker, though.

Anyway, S1:E2 is the third one I've seen, and it blew me away.  So much better than episode 1.
They've got this weird niche of horror that revolves around social media and technology, without being annoying technophobes about it.  At least so far, and I'm kinda sensitive about such criticisms.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17498 on: January 25, 2017, 05:58:55 am »

This is more of an intense Nervous moment, but my friend has just told me that he is returning from work with a group of people, probably at least most of whom I don't know. Aaaaahh unexpected socialization. I just tidied the house. You know it's bad when that happens. :-X
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17499 on: January 25, 2017, 09:53:10 pm »

Got into a head-on crash today. I knew the turn was coming up, I had my turn signal on, and the next thing I know I'm on the other side of the island (grass-filled curb) with a van on the end of my car.  I was cited, but even reconstructing what must have happened I have no idea how it happened. I wasn't drinking (at all), didn't have my phone on me, and the car radio was off, so there was no impairment involved, so my only guess is that the enormous amount of crap on my mind caught my attention at a critical moment.

Luckily, since her van was coming to a stop, and I wasn't moving very fast, nobody was hurt, and my car is probably repairable. The engine was still running when I turned it off, and there were no signs of leaking fluids. There was a nasty hissing that likely indicated radiator damage, but hopefully that was the worst of it, and it may have been on the other vehicle (which my insurance should cover) instead of mine (which isn't covered).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17500 on: January 25, 2017, 10:33:13 pm »

the other vehicle (which my insurance should cover) instead of mine (which isn't covered).

...Insurance is weird.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17501 on: January 25, 2017, 10:42:04 pm »

the other vehicle (which my insurance should cover) instead of mine (which isn't covered).

...Insurance is weird.

Liability insurance (to cover damage to somebody else's property) is mandatory, and part of the minimum coverage available. Collision coverage (covering damage to your car) is not required, and getting that makes the bill go up considerably. I couldn't afford it. If there was no determinable fault, the other driver's insurance or my uninsured motorist coverage would kick in, but since I was cited the insurance company will consider me to be the one at fault. I can't really complain, since it probably was my fault.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17502 on: January 25, 2017, 11:33:48 pm »

Probably not really your fault directly, like you said you don't understand how it happened and you probably were obeying all traffic regulations and good driving practices (sans winding up on the wrong side of the road)

I've noticed sometimes the tires on my car will lose traction even on dry roads.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17503 on: January 26, 2017, 12:12:47 am »

The good news is that, unless survey tomorrow finds something serious with the engine or frame (probably not, because the engine was running just fine after it happened, and it went on the tow truck easily enough) I'm probably looking at $400 worth of parts, most of which can be swapped in the driveway. I might have to get a shop to replace the airbag, but the hood, bumper, headlight, and possibly radiator are simple enough swaps.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17504 on: January 28, 2017, 07:01:58 pm »

Most important thing is you don't need replacement parts for yourself. Do have a checkup though for whiplash syndrome.

Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 1420