Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1162 1163 [1164] 1165 1166 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1971524 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17445 on: January 15, 2017, 05:51:36 pm »

is it bad that i find some of the nsfw results equally cute/funny/entertaining as the sfw ones?
Depends

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17446 on: January 15, 2017, 08:22:28 pm »

College is almost over, this is the last semester to do

I owe a total of about $50,000 in student loans and FASA loans
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17447 on: January 15, 2017, 08:55:18 pm »

College is almost over, this is the last semester to do

I owe a total of about $50,000 in student loans and FASA loans
well that sounds not too bad. probably about what i will end up with as well. congratulations!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17448 on: January 15, 2017, 11:50:32 pm »

The Cask of Amontillado
I caught most of the subtext even while young, not understanding alcohol.  But now...  On this bitterly cold night, into my cups...
It's even more clear that Fortunato meant no real offense.  I always suspected the "thousand injuries" were exaggerated in the narrator's mind, but now I'm sure...
He meant no harm, in fact was doing the narrator a favor.  Thought him friend.  That's why it's so chilling.

The horror of offense we may have caused, and never realized.  Building up unknown grudges.
The only defense is self-destructive second guessing...  Crippling anxiety...  Instead we must go on, and hope that people will forgive or present their grievances.
We must hope.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17449 on: January 16, 2017, 01:50:09 am »

The Cask of Amontillado
I caught most of the subtext even while young, not understanding alcohol.  But now...  On this bitterly cold night, into my cups...
It's even more clear that Fortunato meant no real offense.  I always suspected the "thousand injuries" were exaggerated in the narrator's mind, but now I'm sure...
He meant no harm, in fact was doing the narrator a favor.  Thought him friend.  That's why it's so chilling.

The horror of offense we may have caused, and never realized.  Building up unknown grudges.
The only defense is self-destructive second guessing...  Crippling anxiety...  Instead we must go on, and hope that people will forgive or present their grievances.
We must hope.

Fortunato wrote an offensive story about the narrator! He had it coming.

(Tis true btw: the story is petty revenge on another author)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17450 on: January 16, 2017, 02:03:23 am »

On a wholly unrelated tangent, you can trust ChairmanPoo to give some scary ghostie links in casual wordplay ._.

-snoop-
It's also a nice touch when you can see very subtle themes in Poe's works :P Like how at times, adjectives help characterize the speaker--the speaker is usually the one committing acts of...intriguing effects.

And the subtlety of how those words are meshed give some nice perspective.

Although I still wonder how someone gets a beating heart under the floorboards. :P

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17451 on: January 16, 2017, 02:04:29 am »

Very carefully. /stock response

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17452 on: January 16, 2017, 02:53:09 pm »

The Cask of Amontillado

We must hope.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
These are the British royal coat of arms used in Scotland, at the bottom is its motto:
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT."
No one attacks me with impunity.

Quote from: The Cask of Amontillado
"These vaults," he said, "are extensive."
"The Montresors," I replied, "were a great and numerous family."
"I forget your arms."
"A huge human foot d'or, in a field azure; the foot crushes a serpent rampant whose fangs are imbedded in the heel."
"And the motto?"
"Nemo me impune lacessit."
"Good!" he said.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Montresors were once a proud, powerful, numerous and dangerous family.
Having weathered away through the test of time into decreasing relevance, the last Montresor has lost numbers and power and is left only with pride, the catacombs of his kin and a killer instinct for detail. Montresor is a viper, it is imperative that even a fool who meant no harm, who only accidentally trod on him - must die for his insult.
I must not only punish but punish with impunity.
Perhaps more disturbing than the notion that Fortunato wrongly believed Montresor to be his friend is the notion that Fortunato was not wrong; Montresor was his friend, and friendship meant little to the retribution that simply had to be carried out "with impunity." We never find out what Fortunato did to deserve such a fate, what grave insult he cast upon Montresor to warrant destruction. Questions of morality are unimportant to Montresor, it matters not the justice of his actions, rather it matters that he has been insulted and must repay this insult with death.
You are rich, respected, admired, beloved; you are happy, as once I was. You are a man to be missed. For me it is no matter. We will go back; you will be ill, and I cannot be responsible.
Fortunato is out of his low backgrounds, his kind and jovial nature made him popular, his brotherhood with freemasons gave him prosperity, he is loved, admired and respected by all around him, he is a confident man of new money not afraid to make a fool of himself or hold himself above the ancient dynasties of noblemen. In this manner he doomed himself to death at the hands of Montresor, bitter Montresor, Montresor who had only company in the tombs of the Montresor catacombs, Montresor who had servants but no friends, who was a mason but not a freemason - a nobleman on hard times gazing at the fool, dressed in fool's garb, living a life Montresor once had.
He had a weak point --this Fortunato --although in other regards he was a man to be respected and even feared. He prided himself on his connoisseurship in wine. Few Italians have the true virtuoso spirit. For the most part their enthusiasm is adopted to suit the time and opportunity, to practise imposture upon the British and Austrian millionaires. In painting and gemmary, Fortunato, like his countrymen, was a quack, but in the matter of old wines he was sincere. In this respect I did not differ from him materially; --I was skilful in the Italian vintages myself, and bought largely whenever I could.
It was about dusk, one evening during the supreme madness of the carnival season, that I encountered my friend. He accosted me with excessive warmth, for he had been drinking much.
"As you are engaged, I am on my way to Luchresi. If any one has a critical turn it is he. He will tell me --"
"Luchresi cannot tell Amontillado from Sherry."
"And yet some fools will have it that his taste is a match for your own."
Fortunato is to be respected and feared for unknown reasons, perhaps he holds great power and has used it to eliminate rivals before, elsewise Montresor would not hold fear - elsewise Montresor would not seek to murder Fortunato in such a covert manner. Montresor, as poor as he is, maintains his aristocratic arsenal of skills despite his materially stressed financial situation. Fortunato in spite of his blessed fortune (O fortunate one), has still failed to buy the class, prestige or obligation of such a noble man as Montresor.
How dare he.
Luchresi cannot tell Amontillado from Sherry, says Fortunato. Montresor replies that fools say Luchresi's taste is as refined as Fortunato; Fortunato happily takes this praise of him, not knowing it is a damnation of both Luchresi and Fortunato. Amontillado is Sherry, and the foolish Fortunato is ignorant, holding his drunkenness on a higher level than Montresor's connoisseur expertise.
How dare he think he can look down upon a Montresor? The fool Fortunato?!

Fortunato forgot who the Montresors were, he forgot their arms and their motto. He abandoned caution in favour of jest, his pride in his wine tasting was founded in intoxicant block-headed drunkenness. Montresor hands him a fine médoc red wine which a noble connoisseur would recognize, but Fortunato the braggart does not, downing it to further ensure his own doom. As he is led further into the catacombs, Montresor constantly makes references to his intentions, constantly requests Fortunato turn back to preserve his life - mocking him with restrained excitement, as he eagerly presses onwards to his doom, spurred on by unrestrained alcoholism. But it is not enough to fatally wound Fortunato, Montresor ensures the whole entombment is carried out with Fortunato's full, sober knowledge. Only when Fortunato is fully capable of understanding Montresor has killed him, that he himself had numerous opportunities to not doom his life to such entombment, only then does Montresor place the final stone. Fortunato would have survived for 2-3 days, though some humans have been known to survive for more than a week without water, trapped in similar conditions - buried underground. The world above him would have partied away and mourned the missing Fortunato.

That is not all however.
You, who so well know the nature of my soul, will not suppose, however, that I gave utterance to a threat... Against the new masonry I re-erected the old rampart of bones. For the half of a century no mortal has disturbed them. In pace requiescat!
These are the beginning and ending lines of the story. They reveal that Montresor is talking to someone, telling them the story of the Cask of Amontillado - at the time of this story's telling, Fortunato has been dead for fifty years. I suspect given the jolly tone, the intimate nature of the crimes that could ruin his family's name in the wrong hands, the stressing of his family's traditions, the teaching of lessons that one should repay dishonour with death - Montresor is now Montresor Senior speaking to a rejuvenated Montresor family. Old, soon to die, Montresor is ensuring before he leaves the mortal coil, the Montresor family retains its lethal instincts to produce new generations of vipers ready to strike down any Fortunato.

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17453 on: January 16, 2017, 03:27:36 pm »

Montressor throws a torch through the gap in the wall before placing the final stone; death by suffocation would have happened in minutes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17454 on: January 16, 2017, 03:28:30 pm »

Montressor throws a torch through the gap in the wall before placing the final stone; death by suffocation would have happened in minutes.
Only if it's airtight
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17455 on: January 16, 2017, 03:33:37 pm »

It's an underground space behind a wall, a naked flame is dangerous to just stand around with underground. You don't need anywhere near airtight.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17456 on: January 16, 2017, 03:35:58 pm »

Wow... thanks LW, I understand better! Fascinating!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17457 on: January 16, 2017, 04:33:53 pm »

Basically Montresor is a snek and overreacted dramatically

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17458 on: January 17, 2017, 09:44:55 am »

Sooo.... this is what made me absolutely terrified today.

I was doing a marrow aspirate and the patient fainted and stopped breathing.

She recovered afterwards just using postural measures (It didn't last beyond a few seconds), but I spent the next half an hour shaken.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17459 on: January 17, 2017, 10:06:50 am »

What's a marrow aspirate? And didn't know you were a doctor (of some specialty), cool.
Pages: 1 ... 1162 1163 [1164] 1165 1166 ... 1420