Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1160 1161 [1162] 1163 1164 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1971374 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17415 on: December 28, 2016, 12:22:17 am »

The X-Men cartoon's theme song just played in my head, thanks a lot Rolan :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17416 on: December 28, 2016, 05:28:24 am »

Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17417 on: December 28, 2016, 05:43:47 am »

Link is borked and also blocked in USA ):
Fixed link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSsfuEG4GMA
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17418 on: December 28, 2016, 06:22:20 am »

Quote from: Fallen London
A dream about your reflection

You are standing between two mirrors. Your reflection smiles, so you smile. Your reflection moves its hand, so you move yours. It takes a very long while for you to realise that this is the wrong way round.
When things are particularly bad, my nightmares build towards this...  I wake up early, lose sleep, but each time it's a little farther.  Until I fix the problem in real life.

I'm not really equipped to fix much in real life right now.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17419 on: December 28, 2016, 06:35:37 am »

Link is borked and also blocked in USA ):
Fixed link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSsfuEG4GMA

Hey, it works on my phone! :P
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17420 on: December 28, 2016, 06:05:58 pm »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17421 on: December 29, 2016, 08:41:35 pm »

Woke up and smacked myself in the face with my own limp hand. I'd fallen asleep with my head in my elbow, cutting off the blood to my arm. At least it's only the second time this has happened.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17422 on: December 30, 2016, 01:29:05 am »

I'm not sure if this is a terrified or a WTF but I've for the first time been terrified by a video game.   Dark room playing subnautica.  Swimming over to a place where I was supposed to rendezvous(fixed) with a ship.  On the way over there I took a quick dip underwater just to see if I could find any valuables.

I looked down....and saw nothing at all.

I have no idea why I pretty much lost my shit at that point.  I was actually shivering for a bit and had to turn the light on and close the game.  I just do not understand how such a thing could be so terrifying.  I would understand it if there was some monster following me that I didn't notice.  And I had spoiled myself slightly while researching the game, (I know the names of a few areas, and I know and seen all the most terrifying monsters, I've even encountered one ingame)  But this was the first time where I was somewhere in the game where the water was so deep that I could not make out the bottom.

Supposedly this is a common reaction, and reminds me of the time I went to the beach as a kid with swim goggles on, and ended up throwing up after that mistake.  This is apparently a common reaction.  But...why?  It's just water.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 01:31:48 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17423 on: December 30, 2016, 01:29:49 am »

Fear of the unknown, I would presume.

Also, *rendezvous.  It's French.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17424 on: December 30, 2016, 01:31:14 am »

It's also functionally fear of heights. The part of your brain that does distance judgement doesn't compensate for being able to float freely.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17425 on: December 30, 2016, 01:38:27 am »

It's also functionally fear of heights. The part of your brain that does distance judgement doesn't compensate for being able to float freely.
This. Inclusive with unfamiliarity maybe :O
It's like, you get into a lake and then peer down and see...the darkness underneath, stretching for the whole vision of your eyes. Vast, and maybe with a point of basis for reference (like that speck of dirt floating near your goggles/eyewear) to emphasize it.

It invokes fear that way--usually unfamiliarity though. And that the brain works with concepts and meaning at a very quick speed that it needn't be in conscious thought if you're familiar with concepts...though displaced into other environments. So it may cause some kind of different understanding. :P (eg Dark expanse under you = stability whatnow? = omg I'm alone and can I handle this?! <- Deep sea divers are familiar that there's something in there -> Explorers and historical anecdotes do include the "fear of the unknown" which was contrasted with familiarity = maybe it's just the expanse of darkness and the "depth of nothing" <- this can be contrasted with added knowledge, like 'I see nothing because that means [something]", like the 'vanishing point of sunlight' due to depth, or a really dark stone :P)

And yes, it's generally a common reaction--maybe not as you described it but common in its basic structuring.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17426 on: December 30, 2016, 01:45:58 am »

It's a glimpse of what, from your tiny little human perspective, may as well be Infinity.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17427 on: December 30, 2016, 01:53:17 am »

I really was not expecting that at all.  But I suppose it makes sense.  Gunna be 'interesting' when I finally get some kind of transportation in that game and spend more time out of the shallows.  Supposedly stuff gets really deep later on.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17428 on: December 30, 2016, 03:49:43 am »

I explore at night too often in Subnautica to be afraid of the dark, because at night you can't make out anything that's not in your face, but I get nervous looking at my flashlight battery or after glimpsing some of the predator animals.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 03:52:21 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17429 on: January 07, 2017, 06:23:55 pm »

Well, today I will not sleep well. Not only have I not yet eaten, but there is a huge flying roach in the kitchen. All I managed to rescue was a cup of water (now nearing half) and a bag of bread.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 1160 1161 [1162] 1163 1164 ... 1420