Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1159 1160 [1161] 1162 1163 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1970496 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17400 on: December 27, 2016, 05:17:04 am »

That doesn't entirely make sense, if the matter never reaches the event horizon, then how do black holes increase in mass

Because it's dependent on center of mass and total mass. For example, if the Earth was a hollow Earth-sized shell with 1-Earth-Mass matter around the outside in an infinitesimally thin shell, for all intents and purposes it would still appear gravitationally equivalent to the current Earth. An observer couldn't tell any difference between the scenarios.

The logic scales up to stars and even black holes. If you made an ultra-thin shell of matter that was black-hole-massed, and put it just outside it's own event horizon, the force of gravity at every point in space would be indistinguishable from making a "solid" black hole with mass evenly-distributed inside it. The same logic as solid planets vs hollow planets. There wouldn't be any practical difference in gravity force no matter where you measured it, and it's the force of gravity itself which bends space, not the distribution of matter directly.

Space would therefore be warped in exactly the same means as a "normal" black hole. Similarly, when two black holes "collide", what actually happens is that 2 "1 unit" sized black holes get close enough together, then that changes where the event-horizon should be (which is a single black hole 2 units wide). Space itself bends, the matter itself did not travel anywhere or reorganize itself.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:58:11 am by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17401 on: December 27, 2016, 06:04:53 am »

I get the logic because Center of Mass, though a hollowed out sphere that has an earth mass would collapse on itself unless supported somehow. Also, Dyson Sphere.

A black hole being a star 'turned inside out' and made into a thin shell, or bubble, if you will, is certainly an interesting hypothesis with who-knows-what implications for what's going on inside.

Maybe time to take this (sorta de)rail to the science thread, or space thread?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17402 on: December 27, 2016, 01:39:28 pm »

Road conditions on the highway this morning. I must have missed the snow plows by an hour, the northbound lanes were so slushy it was becoming exhausting to try and keep the car going straight. I had the back end whipping back and forth several times, managed to not go off the road. I really thought I was going to though. Thank God for that
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17403 on: December 27, 2016, 01:46:02 pm »

Road conditions on the highway this morning. I must have missed the snow plows by an hour, the northbound lanes were so slushy it was becoming exhausting to try and keep the car going straight. I had the back end whipping back and forth several times, managed to not go off the road. I really thought I was going to though. Thank God for that

Be safe out there.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17404 on: December 27, 2016, 02:30:43 pm »

Be safe out there.

Many classic horror icons, such as Giger’s Xenomorphs, Silent Hill’s Pyramid Head, and other disturbing creatures, share common characteristics. Pale skin, dark, sunken eyes, elongated faces, sharp teeth, and the like. These images inspire horror and revulsion in many, and with good reason. The characteristics shared by these faces are imprinted in the human mind.
Many things frighten humans instinctively. The fear is natural, and does not need to be reinforced in order to terrify. The fears are species-wide, stemming from dark times in the past when lightning could mean the burning of your tree home, thunder could be the approaching gallops of a stampede, predators could hide in darkness, and heights could make poor footing lethal.

The question you have to ask yourself is this:

What happened, deep in the hidden eras before history began, that could effect the entire human race so evenly as to give the entire species a deep, instinctual, and lasting fear of pale beings with dark, sunken eyes, razor sharp teeth, and elongated faces?

… Just be careful out there.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17405 on: December 27, 2016, 02:43:05 pm »

Bub, xenomorphs have literally black skin and no eyes.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17406 on: December 27, 2016, 02:51:59 pm »

“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17407 on: December 27, 2016, 03:27:12 pm »

The real answer is, of course, diseased people and/or fresh corpses. Paleness from anemia, sunken eyes from a lot of things, elongated faces from malnutrition, and long teeth from gum retraction. It's evolutionary advantageous to want to avoid such people and not share whatever fate befell them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17408 on: December 27, 2016, 03:31:16 pm »

Be safe out there.

Many classic horror icons, such as Giger’s Xenomorphs, Silent Hill’s Pyramid Head, and other disturbing creatures, share common characteristics. Pale skin, dark, sunken eyes, elongated faces, sharp teeth, and the like. These images inspire horror and revulsion in many, and with good reason. The characteristics shared by these faces are imprinted in the human mind.
Many things frighten humans instinctively. The fear is natural, and does not need to be reinforced in order to terrify. The fears are species-wide, stemming from dark times in the past when lightning could mean the burning of your tree home, thunder could be the approaching gallops of a stampede, predators could hide in darkness, and heights could make poor footing lethal.

The question you have to ask yourself is this:

What happened, deep in the hidden eras before history began, that could effect the entire human race so evenly as to give the entire species a deep, instinctual, and lasting fear of pale beings with dark, sunken eyes, razor sharp teeth, and elongated faces?

… Just be careful out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_alien?

Xenomorphs only gained pale skin in the latter films. They're dickheads.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #17409 on: December 27, 2016, 03:33:31 pm »

The real answer is, of course, diseased people and/or fresh corpses. Paleness from anemia, sunken eyes from a lot of things, elongated faces from malnutrition, and long teeth from gum retraction. It's evolutionary advantageous to want to avoid such people and not share whatever fate befell them.
That would inspire revulsion, not terror. Personally, I think it has to do with the predator instinct. Long face, canine-like in nature, etc. Also the fact that it is the familiar made other. Teeth means predator, of course, sunken eyes indicate a probable hunger caused by malnutrition.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17410 on: December 27, 2016, 03:39:39 pm »

I don't know about you, but I'd be terrified if I tripped and fell on a plague corpse even if I didn't know about modern pathology. There's an inherent emotional difference between that and, say, encountering spoiled meat.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #17411 on: December 27, 2016, 04:22:40 pm »

I'd certainly be revolted.... terrified, probably not. Only if I had knowledge of how that corpse could harm me.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17412 on: December 27, 2016, 09:17:15 pm »

Ah, you're the enlightened sort of ancient human who doesn't believe in spirits, undead, or that "lightning" might strike twice :P
(I mean that unexpected corpses usually signal unexpected danger)

Edit:  Confused "your" with "you're".  I bet the autocorrect did this.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:00:07 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17413 on: December 27, 2016, 09:44:50 pm »

Not to worry, we will build a robot which will follow him around and say "DANGER WILL ROBINSON"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17414 on: December 27, 2016, 09:59:20 pm »

Fortunately, the XMEN taught me to expect the unexpected.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 1159 1160 [1161] 1162 1163 ... 1420