Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1158 1159 [1160] 1161 1162 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1970491 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17385 on: December 25, 2016, 04:14:45 pm »

"Tipsy" was an exaggeration and he stopped to play (this time, probably because gma was with us), but I should have insisted on navigating.

His gf didn't care and I didn't want to ruin the nice but fragile evening, so I put myself and other people in danger. Worse yet, it worked, we had a nice night of sci-fi and phone geekiness. Perverse incentive. I'm sorry.
Good rule: If you've had a drink, DO NOT DRIVE. Even if it's one, because it'll still slow your reactions, and if you get involved in an accident you're going to need fast reactions.

That goes too far in the opposite direction. The average person (barring unusually low alcohol tolerance) can drink 1-2 drinks (1 drink = 1.25 ounces of 80-proof liquor, 12 ounces of standard-strength beer, or 5 ounces of wine) an hour depending on body mass without suffering any impairment whatsoever, as this will result in a BAC of 0-.02, and impairment starts at .03 for normal-tolerance people.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17386 on: December 25, 2016, 04:50:33 pm »

Yeah personally I go with one, maaaybe 2.  Guess I'm being safe.  Doesn't come up much though, even when visiting friends we tend to walk a lot.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17387 on: December 26, 2016, 09:50:34 am »

Oh jeez I feel like I really suck at interacting with people textually online.
Normal people, at least- by which I mean people who I perceive as not being predisposed to huge-ass walls of text and silly humorous ramblings. Most of the time I basically write like I speak/think, but... when I'm conversing with someone face-to-face it's so much easier to read their expression and body language and judge what manner of speech is most appropriate for the situation.

Always feels like I use way too many words and blather on about such insignificant or uncool topics.
Then again, that could well be because the people whom I actually care about my interactions with are obviously people that I (at least pretend to) like and/or am attracted to and want to become/remain friends with. Stupid Facebook and its "message seen" feature especially; I'll see that and then spend the next couple of hours as a jumbled ball of nervousness and despair before, 90% of the time, realising that they simply hadn't gotten around to responding yet.

Edit: Argh oh man it keeps happening. It keeps happening. Had a few messages I was happy with, then the next one... ugh.
I put a fair bit of thought into it, too. This tends to happen no matter what the hell I type.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 10:38:49 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17388 on: December 26, 2016, 11:55:55 am »

It's a lot easier to interact with people textually offline? I hear it takes a while for letters to send so you end up having to think a lot about what to write. :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17389 on: December 27, 2016, 12:07:16 am »

Once you go past the event horizon, it's literally impossible to escape. At all. If you could reach velocities past the speed of light you couldn't escape because, to my understanding, they warp spacetime so much that once you're past the event horizon everything points towards the singularity. Even better, you'll never reach the singularity thanks to time dilation, and to everyone else, if they could observe you, you'd hit the event horizon then stop, again thanks to the time dilation.

Yeah, to my understanding the area inside a black hole's event horizon is a place where all paths eventually point to the singularity.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17390 on: December 27, 2016, 12:11:53 am »

Fuck you big black mystery objects!
This is a singularity of OOC bait
If you cross the event horizon of OOC bait you must post it

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17391 on: December 27, 2016, 01:07:20 am »

Black holes are far too confusing, and I've read too much seemingly contradictory things about them to possibly think that I could understand them.

Example: Black holes apparently swallow things and get bigger, but it's also supposedly impossible to ever reach the event horizon???
Another: "Space becomes timelike and time becomes spacelike" inside the event horizon, but it's also supposedly possible to avoid hitting the singularity once you're inside, if it's a ring singularity???
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17392 on: December 27, 2016, 01:24:02 am »

I imagine black holes to work like the "constantly half your distance" thing. So you never reach the end point, you'll always be get closer but it'll slow down to where is seems like you're not moving at all.

I think the biggest issue I have with understanding them is the way it apparently works if you're inside one and if you're watching someone else fall inside. Two different things depending on position.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17393 on: December 27, 2016, 01:50:25 am »

My probably flawed understanding of the impossible-to-reach-event-horizon concept was that as you get closer, time in the rest of the universe would speed up exponentially until everything dies or the black hole evaporates out from under you. I don't understand how black hole evaporation is supposed to work either.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17394 on: December 27, 2016, 01:54:13 am »

Something about mass being emitted as radiation until the singularity ceases to exist.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17395 on: December 27, 2016, 03:09:28 am »

I think it's related to Hawking radiation, which is it's own little ball of wtf.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17397 on: December 27, 2016, 03:35:16 am »

We don't even know what's inside a black hole either, and we're not even sure that there's actually a singularity or infinity point inside. Plus, in mathematics, when you hit a singularity, that usually means that there is something very wrong with your math, so, there are things that we just don't know or understand yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17398 on: December 27, 2016, 04:30:02 am »

Turns out black holes are even scarier than I realised.

Once you go past the event horizon, it's literally impossible to escape. At all. If you could reach velocities past the speed of light you couldn't escape because, to my understanding, they warp spacetime so much that once you're past the event horizon everything points towards the singularity. Even better, you'll never reach the singularity thanks to time dilation, and to everyone else, if they could observe you, you'd hit the event horizon then stop, again thanks to the time dilation.

Fuck you big black mystery objects!

One thing I got thinking about is that to each bit of matter falling into the black hole, everything in front of it (i.e. everything that fell in first) would appear to never have passed the event horizon - yet. What does that suggest you find at the event horizon itself? Basically everything that fell in first should always be between you and the event horizon until the moment you actually pass it. And that goes for you and everything that fell in after you.

Perhaps everything that has and will fall into that event horizon experiences it as a single moment. And that gets me wondering about the actual distribution of matter in a black hole. Is any matter actually inside it? since by external measurements nothing has had time to fall past the event horizon. Perhaps all matter "in" a black hole is perpetually falling towards the event horizon itself, and when the black hole "grows" it stretches that area of deadspace, moving the matter outside it further out. this is just a layman's theory however, but a lot would matter on what exactly happens when the event horizon grows larger: does it literally move past infalling matter, or does it stretch the space itself outwards? Either way, you'd never actually experience "falling into" the black hole. In scenario #1 the event horizon would just grow big enough to consume you, while you're still frozen by time dilation, and in scenario #2 you'd always be pushed out so that you're constantly outside the event horizon.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 04:41:46 am by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17399 on: December 27, 2016, 05:04:25 am »

That doesn't entirely make sense, if the matter never reaches the event horizon, then how do black holes increase in mass (besides eating other black holes)? If the matter did not fall in, the event horizon would never swallow you.

The fact that two black holes colliding don't create time-space paradoxes (outside of our minds anyway) and causing wierd shit to happen says something about it. Simply that there is much we have yet to understand.
Pages: 1 ... 1158 1159 [1160] 1161 1162 ... 1420