Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1132 1133 [1134] 1135 1136 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1969380 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #16995 on: October 16, 2016, 08:48:47 pm »

So basically, Russia operates by Cardassian rules.
Is this a Star Trek thing? I'm not familiar with that...

Do your prosecutors whip anyone that gets in their way, even the judges? Calling them "foolish fools" the entire time and never getting punished?
Hmm, let me guess... welp, I've got nothing, what is this reference from? And no, if the prosecutor gets in trouble with a judge it's well within judge's power to make prosecutor's life pretty hellish. Like, for example, by "accidentally forgetting" to invite a prosecutor to their corresponding court case hearing - which can get that prosecutor a "disciplinary action" because they must be present at them, with all further consequences that can entail.

Of course, there are probably similar things prosecutors can do to judges which they don't like. Cross-validating accusations of incompetence, a necessary attribute of every evolved bureaucracy!
._.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16996 on: October 16, 2016, 09:08:14 pm »

I was referencing Phoenix Wright, sorry. The law system in that series isn't quite as bad as what you're describing, but everything is still biased in favor of the prosecution and prosecutors pride themselves on not losing many (or any) cases. Oh, and trials last a a maximum of 3 consecutive days, and if the defense can't build up an air-tight...well, defense in that time, the judge automatically finds the defendant guilty.

The specific character I was referring to was Francisca Von Karma, a prosecutor who carries around some sort of whip and uses it on anyone that runs afoul of her short temper, judge included. She also tries to keep inconvenient clues secret and even fabricates evidence, but most prosecutors in the series do that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 09:18:05 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16997 on: October 17, 2016, 11:19:15 pm »

Whatever you're going through, are doing, or about to do, know this.  Without any knowledge of your circumstance or context, I wish you the best.  And wish you weren't hurting or in a position to be hurt. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16998 on: October 18, 2016, 12:40:04 am »

@Caroline:*hugs*
Just, *hugs*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16999 on: October 18, 2016, 01:18:36 am »

@Caroline: I hope everything turns out all right. Seems like you've got a lot of hard stuff to deal with.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17000 on: October 20, 2016, 11:58:53 am »

In the BATHROOM and a motherfucking BROWN RECLUSE rappels on my NECK swiped it off and stomped it FUCK SPIDERS kill ALL THE SPIDERS

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17001 on: October 20, 2016, 01:11:07 pm »

Oh shit, it must really suck to be in area having FUCKING BROWN RECLUSES.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17002 on: October 20, 2016, 01:19:15 pm »

It wouldnt be so bad if they'd stop with the FUCKING for maybe a year or two
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17003 on: October 20, 2016, 01:25:49 pm »

So basically, Russia operates by Cardassian rules.
Is this a Star Trek thing? I'm not familiar with that...
Essentially, Cardassia is a world that has after massive famine fallen under the rule of a rational but utterly authoritarian government, the Dominion. The Dominion's whole shtick is that they're more or less a shadow image of the Federation, using all of their power and enlightenment to crush other cultures and empower the state.

The specific reference is to Cardassian courts, which function on the surface similarly to those in the Federation (i.e. to observe evidence and pass impartial judgement on accusation of crime) but in actuality are very different: The verdict of death is delivered before the trial, which is televised to more or less break down the accused. The purpose of the defending lawyer is to assist their client in accepting the supremacy of the state.
Brown Recluse are dangerous, but they really aren't that bad. The name is literal, they're very afraid of larger beings and generally avoid them. Aggressive spiders are much worse.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17004 on: October 20, 2016, 10:45:45 pm »

welp I have to prepare for a test in about three hours and I feel like I'm having serious trouble just focusing

can't even get scared properly
._.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #17005 on: October 20, 2016, 10:47:25 pm »

Prepare as in study?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17006 on: October 20, 2016, 10:49:23 pm »

Yeah, that word is better.
._.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17007 on: October 20, 2016, 10:49:40 pm »

welp I have to prepare for a test in about three hours and I feel like I'm having serious trouble just focusing

Drink some tea.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17008 on: October 20, 2016, 11:01:28 pm »

Drink some tea.
That's some fine advice here, old chap! *sips tea* Ahhh, much, much better.
._.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17009 on: October 20, 2016, 11:09:03 pm »

Brown Recluse are dangerous, but they really aren't that bad. The name is literal, they're very afraid of larger beings and generally avoid them. Aggressive spiders are much worse.

To be fair, even if they aren't as likely to bite people, it's really fucking awful when they do.  A brown recluse bite that doesn't get treated within a few days starts to look like some major krokodil shit.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 1132 1133 [1134] 1135 1136 ... 1420