Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1064 1065 [1066] 1067 1068 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1965439 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #15975 on: April 04, 2016, 07:13:02 pm »

Yay!

Go Rolan!

@Tiruin:Good luck.  I've got nothing else to offer.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15976 on: April 04, 2016, 09:14:33 pm »

Uh so first off thanks for all the support, it really helped.  Secondly, I spent pretty much the whole day with my dad and it was...
Actually just fine and kinda cool, like hanging out with any other friend!?
No but actually I kinda saw this coming, I just didn't want to get my hopes up.  I'm fine here in my new home city.  I don't feel trapped, I feel comfortable and myself, and the air isn't so muggy and hot all the time...

So yeah we'll probably hang out some tomorrow too, and I'll probably have him as a guest for a few days next month.  We did that last year and it was pretty cool (I mean, too long is too long, but that's actually normal).

Hooray for home-castles and awesome non-terrible cities :D
It is a quite nice city, isn't it? I like it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #15977 on: April 04, 2016, 11:46:24 pm »

I'm too scared of messing things up  :-\
Oh geez, don't be. Most people will change what they want to study multiple times before they actually settle on something.

Also, depending on how your country handles student debt and the like, you might want to avoid tertiary study altogether, and go for a decent job somewhere else. Trades in particular are usually very well-paid with six-months apprenticeship and no debt.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #15978 on: April 04, 2016, 11:51:57 pm »

I really need to start thinking about universities and what I should major in right now, but I'm too scared of messing things up  :-\
I started college without knowing exactly what I wanted to major in. I switched majors in the first year. While speaking with counselors about it, they agreed that lots of college students have similar situations.

So what I'm saying from this is, you don't need to know absolutely 100% certain what you want to major in when you first start college. It helps to have an idea, so you could maybe look to apply for a college specializing in what you're thinking of, but it's not like you can't change your mind during the first couple years once you start. If you're unsure what to major in during the first couple years, you can take general classes that are required for any major so that you can use the credits in another major. That way you don't waste a semester taking several classes in chemistry only to decide that you want to do music instead, which has no use for chemistry credits.

All that said, I'm pretty sure I'm in a different country than you, so things may vary between countries. General message is that you're probably making a bigger deal out of "making mistakes" than you need to.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #15979 on: April 05, 2016, 01:57:15 am »

Caroline, other than what the others adviced very well, there's the general 1st-year rule: It's filled with general subjects (which will mostly feel like doing high school 'all over again' and is made as a reviewer)--because other than forward the purpose of the course, it's to help those who have gone into a course and then decided to shift, so that they'll cover most of the subjects post-shifting.

Don't fear messing things up :) As far as I know, all universities are required (for the betterment of their students) to hold guidance and counseling for course picking, along with individual sessions that you can go to as much as you want (it's free; paid by miscellaneous fees as far as I know) if you're doubtful and want to talk about other things. Counselors in general are trained for this and have to pretty much graduate from a specialized course(?) for it, so the general counselor you'll meet will be pretty much able to help you, and if not, will refer you to someone who can c: (You can also bring up very delicate issues with them that you may fear being criticized/hurt for because of social pressure anywhere else; it's all confidential, and there are specific stuffs which I could share to you over PM about :3)

...Uhh, back into universities, I'm not sure how the academic climate is there in your country :-X but doing thorough research as to how those universities are (eg Differences between those that do entrance exams vs Fully inclusive ones/open universities) would help, as well as jotting down/noting down what are your concerns or fears! If finances are a trouble, from what I know there are universities that offer working student positions/student assistant work for those who are financially challenged and such. And as far as I know (once more :v), in your senior high school you get a test or opportunity to visit local colleges and attend seminars(?) there to know how and what that university focuses(?) on.

Sorry, am tired x-x

So this is less of a terrify, and more of an annoyance.
...While I'm able to handle nightmares in my lucid dreams, I thoroughly dislike the endings when they get filled with web-spinning spiders :I
While my arachnophobia was learned and pretty much helped by my dad (by putting a jumping spider and watching it scuttle up my arm while I stopped myself from shuddering and instead appreciates it's erratic and calculative nature), I can't deal with web-spinners, especially web-spinners that are in my dreams because that means they're multiplied by bloody hundreds until the area I'm in is filled with webby spiders flopping about or staying in place.
On the plus side, they're pretty and colorful and non-bitey. :v
But blargh, so close to my face. Can't even teleport out. I: Usually ALWAYS before I wake up.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15980 on: April 05, 2016, 03:42:03 am »

As far as I can tell, the oldest version is "Blood's thicker than water." from page 281 of this book. There are older versions, but they're a bit more different and mostly in other languages. "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb" seems to be a newer writer that was trying to explain their interpretation of "Blood's thicker than water," and people found their version profound enough to quote.
Not true, sadly. :P The oldest version of the saying actually goes back another 650 years before that, to Germany, with a version from Reinhart Fuchs that roughly translates as "I also hear it said, kin-blood is not spoiled by water", i.e., that blood-ties are the strongest and are not spoiled by worldly troubles, unlike friendships. The belief of the idea that it means the opposite originates in the Arabic world, where their version of the saying goes roughly as "blood is thicker than milk", referring to the idea that those in a blood covenant are closer bound than those who drank milk from the same mother. So blood/water = blood ties are stronger than the world (unlike friendships), while blood/milk = covenant ties of strong friendships are stronger than birth ones.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15981 on: April 05, 2016, 04:58:24 am »

@Caroline:Most colleges don't even really start your major till sophomore year or after.  Don't worry about it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15982 on: April 05, 2016, 05:34:22 am »

Ehm, after successfully dropping weight to desired  65 kg from DAMN 78, I suddenly started noticing subtle unconcsius despise to fat people/ people eating fast food. Also with this comes desire to tell someone something like  ,, just do it, it is all about willpower "

Is it some sort of mental disease coming with rapid weight loss or something?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #15983 on: April 05, 2016, 05:44:49 am »

78 kg is fat?

also what the balls is ,,
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #15984 on: April 05, 2016, 07:47:32 am »

Okay yeah that's basically terrible.

Studying in the US is a bad idea unless you're very rich. Universities in Europe (and NZ!) are not only cheaper (if not free), but also have sane student loan policies and better social provisions. Also, good schools are easy to find when you're not in a country that effectively sells degrees with 0% failure rates.

I would strongly advise that you don't go to the States, and that's even accounting for my personal bias.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #15985 on: April 05, 2016, 08:12:10 am »

But aren't those better policies in urope only if you're an EU citizen

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15986 on: April 05, 2016, 10:25:54 am »

I dreamed some really fucked up dreams last night, so much so that I woke up in cold sweat at one point. The thing that woke me was seeing the building I live in collapse, presumably with my family still inside. Only after waking up in terror did I go: "Wait, I don't live in that building anymore, haven't for the past ten years actually."

Then I fell asleep again, and shit got wierd again but I can't remember it clearly, I know it was a jumble of a bunch of universes and stories and everything. I also think I was a dog at one point, or something.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15987 on: April 05, 2016, 05:17:07 pm »

@Caroline:I wish you good luck and will inform you that there are lots of independent scholarships you could go for, in addition to institutional merit scholarships

Which I am confident in your ability to get.

Also, tell your parents to look into more colleges than just the Ivies.  Top colleges aren't all Ivy League.  You really probably want more things ending in Institute of Technology or Polytechnic...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:22:10 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15988 on: April 05, 2016, 05:25:17 pm »

I dreamed that I was living in a fully functional luxury resort during a zombie apocalypse. I lived in decadent opulence but couldnt go outside.

...thing is, I did not care all that much about that fact...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15989 on: April 05, 2016, 05:57:09 pm »

But aren't those better policies in urope only if you're an EU citizen

Not in Germany! Expert German engineering has allowed them to open up free tuition options to foreign students as well!
Pages: 1 ... 1064 1065 [1066] 1067 1068 ... 1420