Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1965699 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #15945 on: April 02, 2016, 07:00:57 am »

Somehow, saying sensei noticed you sounds more creepy.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #15946 on: April 02, 2016, 08:41:49 am »

onii-chan noticed me~
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15947 on: April 02, 2016, 09:38:47 am »

Somehow, saying sensei noticed you sounds more creepy.
That's what happened to my WoD character. It was a sneaking mission, and he got noticed. He lost all his blood, but got a sensei.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15948 on: April 02, 2016, 09:41:49 am »

onii-chan noticed me~
ochinchin noticed me~
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15949 on: April 02, 2016, 05:00:58 pm »

An Instagram account for hair loss treatment just started 'following' me.
These motherfuckers have uncovered my darkest fears. They're in my head. Which is slightly less evenly covered than it used to be.
I know not where to turn. My own mind is not safe from the fearsome telepathic powers being used against me. Help.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15950 on: April 02, 2016, 05:21:23 pm »

You need to fight fire with fire. Shave yourself bald.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15951 on: April 02, 2016, 05:55:17 pm »

Don't even joke D:<
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

InZane

• Bay Watcher
  • [PIMP_CANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15952 on: April 02, 2016, 06:36:56 pm »

I PTW anything that seems interesting

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15953 on: April 02, 2016, 06:42:45 pm »

Well, at least I know where this person lives.
?

The old trick where it shows your own profile.
Relax; Cinder isn't quite that much of a creep.  :P
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #15954 on: April 02, 2016, 06:54:16 pm »

Why not?  I don't regret it.  Not sure at this point if I'll ever go back.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15955 on: April 02, 2016, 07:13:40 pm »

Why not?  I don't regret it.  Not sure at this point if I'll ever go back.

Shaving your head is fine, as long as you're cool with it. So is pulling a Patrick Stewart and making a classy bald spot your thing. Dude lost his hair in his 20s, and he owned it. Still, it weirds me out how advertisers can sniff this personal data out, and prey on people's insecurities to sell them something.

Speaking of which... though absolutely terrified is an overstatement, Matt Lees' spot on Behavioral Manipulation in Games got me thinking about gamification and social engineering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGvePm_jVCk

Between gaming and social networks, we're starting to get really good at manipulating human behavior for a desired effect; usually, that means logging in to a game regularly or renewing a subscription to a service. But there's a lot of room to misuse these principals to prey on people, or to manipulate other facets of their behavior to be more in line with something else.

I don't know how much the fuss over Sesame Credit was just scaremongering. Just the idea is scary and plausible, though; a social network that rewarded a specific set of social behaviors, and reduced or took away those rewards if they had friends or family who didn't perform those behaviors. If the rewards were significant enough, you'd easily have people wanting to police their friends and family into model behavior, perhaps even unfriending and shunning them if they fail to reform. It doesn't have to be used for negative ends (it could even benefit society) but it's still investing a lot of power into the hands of the people who decide that set of social behaviors.

So yeah.... I'm sorta thinking that we need to start thinking about legislation to protect citizens against psychologically exploitative games, advertisements, and social networks. It strikes me as a future danger for the health and well-being of society.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:19:50 pm by Solifuge »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15956 on: April 03, 2016, 08:58:59 am »

I think here in the UK legislation has been tightened around in-game purchases aimed at children to basically make it so they can't without parents. But all adverts are kinda psychologically manipulating; the whole point is to get you to buy something.

I see where you're coming from, but I doubt all that much could be done. Maybe just ban them from punishing you for having friends not in the game?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15957 on: April 03, 2016, 04:43:34 pm »

I accidentally ran a red light a few days ago and I'm constantly paranoid that at any minute someone's going to show up and ticket me for some reason. :(

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15958 on: April 03, 2016, 04:50:39 pm »

Hahaha oh wow
So my dad was going to be in town all today (3 hours from where he lives, but his girlfriend has legit business).
So I kinda lay in bed under covers with my laptop until 3-ish, then finally got up to get drunk.  At first one beer, then very quickly a lot more.
Basically I entertained the idea of meeting up with him, then decided to watch Archer and enjoy my godsdamn weekend instead.  It's been an exhausting, low-sleep week, and it's probably because I knew he was coming.

Well, I just got a text that they're only just on their way.  I guess I had the day wrong.

She's asking if we can have dinner tonight and maybe go hiking tomorrow, and also mentioned that his birthday is coming up.

Well, I pretty much ensured I can't do the first thing.  So that's good.
Why is it so hard to say no
Hiding and ignoring messages is pretty easy at first, but in the end it feels even shittier.

I'm also terrified that he reads these posts.  It would be really easy for him to locate this account.  I've posted so much that I shouldn't have.

I'm not afraid of any actual abuse or anything, I'm just broken in a way that makes it really tough to see him.
I guess I'll just ignore this text and maybe go walking with them tomorrow.  The tension will be high so they'll snipe each other constantly, it'll be great /s.
Or ideally I can just have lunch with them somewhere.  I *am* still pretty sick, it's not that much to ask.  Pretty normal right?  To just have lunch?
She/they

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15959 on: April 03, 2016, 04:52:06 pm »

That sounds like a nice compromise.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1420