Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964504 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #15120 on: December 17, 2015, 12:08:03 am »

What if your legs are made of metal, from another planet?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #15121 on: December 17, 2015, 12:29:20 am »

Sounds kinda prehistoric to me.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15122 on: December 17, 2015, 12:51:49 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-34592186
A lengthy planning document from China's elite State Council explains that social credit will "forge a public opinion environment that trust-keeping is glorious", warning that the "new system will reward those who report acts of breach of trust".
A national database will merge a wide variety of information on every citizen, assessing whether taxes and traffic tickets have been paid, whether academic degrees have been rightly earned and even, it seems, whether females have been instructed to take birth control.
Credit systems build trust between all citizens, Wen Quan says.
"Without a system, a conman can commit a crime in one place and then do the same thing again in another place. But a credit system puts people's past history on the record. It'll build a better and fairer society," she promises.

better and fairer
better and fairer
better and fairer

Isn't that actually kind of old news? I've heard of it a while back.

Also, if anybodys going to do a massive social experiment, it'll probably be the Chinese. :P

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #15123 on: December 17, 2015, 02:05:32 am »

Honestly, the bad thing here is that the Chinese government can now define what is and isn't unacceptable by society, even if those things are technically legal.

Don't forget that in Western countries too, for example a criminal record can have a serious effect on one's career and social relations.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:09:35 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15124 on: December 17, 2015, 04:01:06 am »

That idea still feels incredibly gross and unnatural, even years after I'd first heard it suggested.

It seems a lot like bringing highschool dynamics into adult life. The popular kids decide what's cool, everybody has to get with it or be a loser and be ostracized.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #15125 on: December 17, 2015, 04:02:49 am »

Don't forget that in Western countries too, for example a criminal record can have a serious effect on one's career and social relations.
In NZ you can get some crimes/convictions wiped from your criminal record for that exact reason. Admittedly it's usually only minor stuff, and some amount of time needs to have passed without further convictions, but y'know, it can be done.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15126 on: December 17, 2015, 04:50:13 am »

That idea still feels incredibly gross and unnatural, even years after I'd first heard it suggested.

It seems a lot like bringing highschool dynamics into adult life. The popular kids decide what's cool, everybody has to get with it or be a loser and be ostracized.

Welcome to Glorious Orwellia!

Enjoy your stay!
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15127 on: December 17, 2015, 03:04:31 pm »

I'm fairly certain I just cut someone out of my life for good.

A couple minutes ago I was shaking all over. This must be among the top five most terrifying things I've ever been part of.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15128 on: December 17, 2015, 03:09:14 pm »

... What happened?

And... Good luck, okay?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #15129 on: December 17, 2015, 03:27:01 pm »

Don't say 'for good'. Unless you literally cut them out of their own life as well with a knife or something, it's probably still possible to reconcile, at least to the point where you could imagine living on the same planet as each other.

Give it a few days, weeks, or months, and you can apologize/accept apology/both, assuming you want to.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15130 on: December 17, 2015, 03:51:25 pm »

Eh, it's been a couple months already that I haven't talked to her, have avoided seeing her, etc etc. It hasn't really gotten better. Now after a Christmas party at our faculty she texted me, making it rather clear that she can't stand this state of affairs - so I explained why anything else is pretty much impossible, why anything else would be madness. In the process I realized that I can no longer see this as a sort of waiting period and instead have to accept it as the new norm.

Which is a pity, because we used to be quite close - and she's one of the very, very few proper intellectuals my age that I know.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15131 on: December 17, 2015, 04:19:41 pm »

Starwars hell is about to begin.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #15132 on: December 17, 2015, 06:21:08 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-34592186
A lengthy planning document from China's elite State Council explains that social credit will "forge a public opinion environment that trust-keeping is glorious", warning that the "new system will reward those who report acts of breach of trust".
A national database will merge a wide variety of information on every citizen, assessing whether taxes and traffic tickets have been paid, whether academic degrees have been rightly earned and even, it seems, whether females have been instructed to take birth control.
Credit systems build trust between all citizens, Wen Quan says.
"Without a system, a conman can commit a crime in one place and then do the same thing again in another place. But a credit system puts people's past history on the record. It'll build a better and fairer society," she promises.

better and fairer
better and fairer
better and fairer

Oh god, what if other countries wind up creating their own versions of that?  I would say no one in their right mind would try that, but several things have shown the government doesn't really think rationally.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15133 on: December 17, 2015, 07:02:31 pm »

"The government?"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15134 on: December 17, 2015, 07:04:33 pm »

Oh god, what if other countries wind up creating their own versions of that?  I would say no one in their right mind would try that, but several things have shown the government doesn't really think rationally.
I can't imagine it taking off over here. Everyone would be being 2 cheeki about everything for score to really matter.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 ... 1420