Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1003 1004 [1005] 1006 1007 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1965095 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #15060 on: December 13, 2015, 10:13:10 pm »

Happened to recall a conversation I had about a week ago where someone was talking about how their sister had a condition where her brain was coming dislodged from her skull and sinking into her neck and they couldn't put her under during the surgery to correct it because of potential complications. That's one of the most disturbing things I've ever heard and since I remembered it I can't stop thinking about it.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15061 on: December 13, 2015, 10:14:44 pm »

AaaaaaIdidn'tfinishtheessayaaaaa
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15062 on: December 13, 2015, 10:20:54 pm »

A small jar of water got tipped over by cats on my desk, where my laptop was lying. Now I'm terrified it might be ruined but I don't dare turn it on until its had a chance to dry out. Put it on some rice + paper towels on the counter for the night. Praying that fucking 'lily' cat doesn't just push it off onto the floor for her own amusement.
Note on this, but uncooked rice is actually pretty bad at this. Best things in the tests they did were simply opening as much up as possible and letting it air dry, or using instant rice/couscous (cat litter worked better, but the particles can be a fair bit more dangerous to electronics so use it with care).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15063 on: December 13, 2015, 10:32:40 pm »

gitgud finish it

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15064 on: December 13, 2015, 10:32:55 pm »

That's one of the most disturbing things I've ever heard and since I remembered it I can't stop thinking about it.

I'm very good at forgetting. It's a gift. Or maybe it's a skill. I've forgotten.  :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15065 on: December 13, 2015, 10:38:05 pm »

gitgud finish it
AaaaaaaanothelpingunlessyoucanhelpmefigureoutjustwhatanexcerptofDonQuixoteissatirizingaaaaaaaa
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15066 on: December 13, 2015, 10:43:00 pm »

gitgud finish it
AaaaaaaanothelpingunlessyoucanhelpmefigureoutjustwhatanexcerptofDonQuixoteissatirizingaaaaaaaa
IT'S ABOUT BANTER

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15067 on: December 13, 2015, 10:47:58 pm »

gitgud finish it
IT'S ABOUT BANTER
aaaaaanoitisn'tareyoukiddingmeaaaaa
Sigtext

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15068 on: December 13, 2015, 10:56:44 pm »

I mean

maybe

if you post it

someone will be able to say "yo you idiot it's obviously about the pope"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15069 on: December 13, 2015, 10:58:24 pm »

It's Don Quixote, and I need to figure out (pretty much) what aspect of society the tilting at windmills is satirizing.

Or the first chapter.
Sigtext

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15070 on: December 13, 2015, 11:00:14 pm »

Well, the Wikipedia page on "tilting at windmills" seems pretty helpful... if you can find other sources as well.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15071 on: December 13, 2015, 11:01:57 pm »

Hmm. Well, you may have a problem.

Wkipedia has knowledge.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15072 on: December 13, 2015, 11:03:49 pm »

1)Can't cite Wikipedia.  English teacher will burn me at the stake.  ;P
2)That actually doesn't have much to do with the actual scene from the book.  More about the modern uses of the phrase.

How do you get from tilting at windmills to foreign policy...?  ANSWER ME, WIKIPEDIA!
Sigtext

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #15073 on: December 13, 2015, 11:09:36 pm »

The aggressive nature of the protagonist is violent due to a misinterpretation of people's motives. Perhaps he's satirising the way in which Spain is lashing out at other country's during this time - for example, England had an embargo thingy because they took on some money from a bank going to fund soldiers in the Netherlands, which led to rebellion. This was sometime in the later 1500s. It led to a devastating blow to both English and Netherlands

Not sure as to relevance, but I'm sitting here writing an English essay at four am so you'll take what you get and sift through dross for gold.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #15074 on: December 13, 2015, 11:33:29 pm »

It's Don Quixote, and I need to figure out (pretty much) what aspect of society the tilting at windmills is satirizing.

Or the first chapter.

IIRC the whole thing was intended as a satire of overly romanticized novels about knights and chivalry which were popular at the time.

(In a more general sense probably not intended by the author tilting at windmills could be seen as representative of almost all of society)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:35:22 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 1003 1004 [1005] 1006 1007 ... 1420