Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964754 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #14685 on: October 31, 2015, 02:41:40 pm »

I'm not terrified with this but anyway it's this.

If you are paranoid with that, dump your hard disc into something that melts something like ceramic and steel(blast furnace is recommended) or turn it into fine grain, buy a random computer from a random store (no, don't ask to send it to your home) and don't connect to the internet or with any USB items.
The side effect is erasing everything inside into oblivion, so that one hard disc will not be back because it's molten and shared with all the great liquid stuff. Perfect if you wanna destroy every data inside that one hard disc.
Quote from: Hard disk destroyer
You can't be too careful when protecting your private data.

Brits, Canadians, Germans, Chinese and Brazilians have hydrogen buses, I suspect better technology will one day make hydrogen fuel cells more readily available for the public
OIOI BREAKING NEWS YH YH
Honda nipons have created technocar w' hydrogenmotor

They've built a terrifying monstrosity that constantly spews lethal dihydrogen monoxide out the back of the vehicle.
What's lethal is probably it's heat. Add with the fact that hot hydrogenic things(something like water etc.) could heat things to the point of ignition to the mix*. Bam*.
*no pun intended

You dont want NSA to know your favorite japanese cartoons?

I don't want them knowing anything. As noted in the song "why can't we be friends" the intelligence community is mostly made up of people who were too sleazy to make it in organized crime.

Yeah, there's that. Probably not the most best people to give control of all information.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14686 on: October 31, 2015, 04:13:10 pm »

Happy Halloween! watch it in full screen!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 04:16:29 pm by uber pye »
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14687 on: October 31, 2015, 04:50:03 pm »

Happy Halloween! watch it in full screen!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pretty good. I feel like it should have ended at 1:37 though, the rest of it sort of took away from it for me.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14688 on: October 31, 2015, 05:08:19 pm »

Nah, it should have cut out the bits between 1:37 and 2:15
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14689 on: November 01, 2015, 02:16:27 am »

http://io9.com/the-strangest-tradition-of-the-victorian-era-post-mort-472772709

I already knew these were a thing. But I was creeped out by some of these nonetheless...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14690 on: November 01, 2015, 09:35:39 am »

I already knew these were a thing. But I was creeped out by some of these nonetheless...
Some are pretty creepy, but others are quite beautiful, actually.

It's a perfectly reasonable practice for that era, given the lack of proper healthcare, terrifying infant mortality, and ubiquitous belief in the afterlife at the time: Almost every parent lost a child, and almost every child lost a sibling or a parent, and when the bereaved were told in church that they would soon be reunited with their loved ones in Heaven, they would understandably want to maintain relations with their dead family members as if they were just visiting a distant uncle in the countryside.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14691 on: November 01, 2015, 10:08:46 am »

Some are pretty creepy, but others are quite beautiful, actually.

It's a perfectly reasonable practice for that era, given the lack of proper healthcare, terrifying infant mortality, and ubiquitous belief in the afterlife at the time: Almost every parent lost a child, and almost every child lost a sibling or a parent, and when the bereaved were told in church that they would soon be reunited with their loved ones in Heaven, they would understandably want to maintain relations with their dead family members as if they were just visiting a distant uncle in the countryside.
The one above (5) is just... haunting. Possible pun unintended.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14692 on: November 03, 2015, 04:41:57 am »

Not so much terrifying, but quite unpleasant; My college is implementing "Standard Event Plans", which are obviously mostly just about the concern of some idiot deciding to shoot everybody. We were notified of this as a disturbing half-hour interlude to the urbane discussion of AC versus DC electrical transmission.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #14693 on: November 03, 2015, 05:14:41 am »

I think the real interesting thing about that is that the college didn't already have such plans. My highschool allegedly has plans for anything up to and including a nuclear meltdown in a nearby country, though only the fire plan is public. That's probably because if (say) the gun-toting-maniac-plan was public, that maniac could also study it and plan the shooting with it in mind.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14694 on: November 03, 2015, 05:45:59 am »

I think I need to invest in a stress ball. I've always been a fairly angry person, but lately more things seem to make me angry than usual.

Just before my internet inexplicably stopped working, despite my connection status being full, and I very nearly smashed my computer and everything on my desk in a fit of rage. Had to stop myself with a great deal of willpower. That's how my old laptop met its end, actually... and the smartphone I used to have... and most of my non-smart phones since then. :-\

A stress ball or similar rage-expending item would solve all my problems.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14695 on: November 03, 2015, 05:51:05 am »

... in the same way that painkillers solve pain.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14696 on: November 03, 2015, 06:32:22 am »

... in the same way that painkillers solve pain.
More accurately, in the same way that painkillers solve having a stab wound.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14697 on: November 03, 2015, 06:35:06 am »

...I think that comparison would be more accurate if I broke all my things, then pulled out a stress ball to try and make it better.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14698 on: November 03, 2015, 06:37:22 am »

Yeah, anger isn't a problem you solve by repressing it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14699 on: November 03, 2015, 06:41:42 am »

Yeah, anger isn't a problem you solve by repressing it.
ಠ_ಠ Are you suggesting I kill all the people who make me angry? Tsk, that's absurd.
I am aiming for a reasonable, healthy solution here. One which won't land me in prison or an early grave.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 1420