Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] 954 955 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1967766 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #14280 on: September 14, 2015, 05:58:47 pm »

Why do pedophiles make for terrible musicians?

Because they abuse minors.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14281 on: September 14, 2015, 06:04:19 pm »

Uhh, terrible jokes thread is thataway, Helgo. ;3
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14282 on: September 14, 2015, 06:06:58 pm »

Though statistically there probably is an Asian kid who's better than you at each thing you do.
Based on super lazy estimates, somewhere around 20% of Asia's 4.5 billion population is "kids", making nearly a billion Asian kids in total. That leaves a decent chance of one being better than you at a thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #14283 on: September 14, 2015, 06:15:37 pm »

Though statistically there probably is an Asian kid who's better than you at each thing you do.
Based on super lazy estimates, somewhere around 20% of Asia's 4.5 billion population is "kids", making nearly a billion Asian kids in total. That leaves a decent chance of one being better than you at a thing.

Middle East and Siberia count too?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14284 on: September 14, 2015, 06:17:36 pm »

Yep.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14285 on: September 14, 2015, 07:28:30 pm »

[...]
As that old adage goes: "Remember, no matter how good you are at whatever you do, there will always be some Asian kid out there who does it better."
...Much as I'd like to really poke this in-depth (as well as how generalizing this kind of comparison goes >_> [also I'm Asian btw :v]), I lack time and must use brevity.
Stop stereotyping the concept of a prodigy/gifted child please. Or casually thinking that 'brain development//biological premises = a difference between people).
Honestly I've always seen this more as a stereotype of the hard workers than necessarily the gifted. Compared with the american "everybody can go to school" type of approach, a lot of the asian countries have much more competitive school systems. (As a good example, I have never known someone who went to summer or a cram school here, unless they were from another country coming here to get their education).

If anything it's a stereotype that asians are more often hard workers than americans are. :P

(Which of course doesn't address the fact that stereotypes are often true. Studies have found that as a whole the average cultural stereotype tends to have a correlation rating of about .8; for comparison the average affect in social psychology tends to be about a .2. That is not to say, of course, that stereotypes can't be used to cause harm and should always be followed to the letter, we're all individuals after all, just that they are actually surprisingly accurate, especially when of the them-to-us comparison type [i.e. "Asians are harder workers than Americans" when I'm an American]. For some interesting reading I highly suggest you check out this pdf, it can be very surprising after always being drilled that stereotypes aren't true and should be avoided in all cases.).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14286 on: September 14, 2015, 08:50:38 pm »

stereotypes aren't true and should be avoided in all cases
I think most people aren't actually delusional enough to think this is accurate in the first place.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14287 on: September 14, 2015, 10:36:35 pm »

[...]
As that old adage goes: "Remember, no matter how good you are at whatever you do, there will always be some Asian kid out there who does it better."
...Much as I'd like to really poke this in-depth (as well as how generalizing this kind of comparison goes >_> [also I'm Asian btw :v]), I lack time and must use brevity.
Stop stereotyping the concept of a prodigy/gifted child please. Or casually thinking that 'brain development//biological premises = a difference between people).
Honestly I've always seen this more as a stereotype of the hard workers than necessarily the gifted. [...]
If anything it's a stereotype that asians are more often hard workers than americans are. :P

(Which of course doesn't address the fact that stereotypes are often true. Studies have found tha[...]).
* Tiruin giggles :3 (and also loves the info! Them extremes are soooo...extreme o_o)
Alrighty, let's broaden that field of knowledge there!
Let's see...the modern definition of a stereotype is "a general grouping of beliefs about a particular entity"--though following seminal data (ie bottom half of page 3, PDF [.edu] link by i2amroy), albeit pertaining to the general usage of stereotype rather than 'stereotype in the context of group or cultural groupings'.
Now why it is often true, in very short terms, is because it is based on a general perception and concept formation--emphasis on the word "General". It is not holistically true regarding each and every individual, in terms of complete definition. It contains the Grain of Truth (...like a needle in a haystack, its where this darn grain is!): a Concept is an idea attributed towards a particular notion or entity which reflects how that idea was created (usually by natural observation--our common way of deriving information from our surroundings). What's being described is attitude--and not...y'know, racial differences, for example above when comparing *West vs East...and it also differs where in the East you're talking about.

*Fun note: 'West' and 'East' come from the Europe-centric Point of View. With reference to ancient navigation and the central area of sciences. (This may be incomplete because my memory is fuzzy.)

Now why its said that 'Stereotypes aren't true and should be avoided in all cases', one should be very aware what specific words they use in describing such things (cuz words = meaning translated into tangible form and all that).
Is because that kind of saying describes the process of concluding.  :P Especially if you utilize comparisons or comparatives to forward a very similar statement. (ie 'All birds have feathers' versus 'All birds can fly' . . .)

In a practical way: Stereotypes depend on context for their 'truth, proof and validity', because the grouping is not the root of deriving information from--what is observed and characterized (the context) is the root of the information. Think of it like the superficial surface of the ocean..and the depths being a deduction from general to specifics.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14288 on: September 15, 2015, 08:55:35 pm »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The epistolary format is kinda weird at times but still, this is some freaky shit. Why can't I stop reading it and cut my losses?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14289 on: September 16, 2015, 06:39:30 am »

Ticks r scary. Little squashy bags of disease-filled blood and teeth? NOPE.

I thought what this cat had was a skin-tag. Nope. I may have to burn down this house.

Catsitting business is scary. Gonna have to corral all of the cats one by one with a pair of tweezers and a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Baby Jesus what have I sinned.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14290 on: September 16, 2015, 03:04:35 pm »

My computer just about made me have a heart attack.

I was doing not much of anything, when I heard a slight whining noise from the front case fan. I'm a typically easy going guy so I try a bit of percussive maintenance and it makes the noise much worse. So I opened up the case and had a look around, moved any wires nearby especially out of the way and turned it back on. Silent so whatever. Slide it back and OHGODWHATISTHAT WRRRRRRRR *smash* *clatter* fuck pull the power. Look inside and see that my transparent plastic fan was surrounded by transparent plastic fragments.
I poked around the fan to see if there was anything in the way or for the broken blades but they were all intact. Then feeling around again to make sure I noticed something soft behind the fan. It was a bag of silica gel that I hadn't noticed at the time of putting everything together.

Fuck me I hope I never hear anything like that again.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #14291 on: September 16, 2015, 03:30:11 pm »

Heh, my old desktop used to do that. A heavy kick in the right place stopped it, but I could never find the right place properly.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14292 on: September 16, 2015, 03:42:10 pm »

I sometimes had to apply pressure to the side of my tower box to realign the fan on the side. It would get all lopsided after a few minutes and start grinding away against the side of its case. Pushing it would temporarily realign it, mostly.

The power button also broke within a few months, so since then i've had the switch itself poking out through the whole where the button should go, and I depress the switch directly.

Then again, my brother's power supply caught on fire once. That was actually scary.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14293 on: September 16, 2015, 04:04:15 pm »

Somewhat unrelated, but that kind of thing's fairly common in the amateur robotics business. Motor controllers enjoy exploding, cables short out and tell it to murder you, fans decide to leave and go flying away like tiny helicopters... S'great fun.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14294 on: September 16, 2015, 10:51:43 pm »

I read that last one as "fans of the robots" as in, people who enjoy the robotics.

So I'm just imagining fans getting bored and flapping their arms to fly away home.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] 954 955 ... 1420