Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 877 878 [879] 880 881 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1975757 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #13170 on: May 30, 2015, 10:43:44 pm »

In "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" they built a mass driver that, instead of sending something into orbit, just launches it straight downhill towards Earth.  So for something like that it would be extremely useful.  For something on the surface, it would just be a way to gain a large initial amount of velocity.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13171 on: May 30, 2015, 11:12:53 pm »

So...good news and bad news.

Good news: might finally have an explanation why I've been exhausted and achy the last few days.

Bad news: the answer might be Rocky Mountain spotted fever.  :-\

Finally went to urgent care today when I woke up from an afternoon nap and had a rash on the insides of both upper arms. By the time I had gotten to the urgent care (~15 minutes later) it had spread to my wrists.

Here's the thing though -- it has since then almost entirely vanished, then reappeared only on the left side, then disappeared again. Then reappeared on my back and neck. And as I type this, its gone again. All in thevspan of about 8 hours.

WTF BODY???

I'm on doxycycline as a precaution and antihistamines but all this ninja rash bullshit was before I even started the medication.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13172 on: May 30, 2015, 11:25:56 pm »

Just want to quickly throw out that right here:

Roe vs Wade for example.

You are demonstrating a rather significant point made by i2amroy:

I'd be willing to say that (in the US at least) the vast majority of important legal changes don't come through the legislative branch, they come through the judicial one. And as a reminder for those who don't live in the US, in the US all of our judges are appointed, not elected. That means that beyond choosing who is the governor/president and hoping they pick aligned judges (which there is no guarantee of them doing, it's not too uncommon to pick judges that you are misaligned with as a way of appeasing the other party), voters have literally no way to control who is making those decisions.

---

Saying "yeah but it was just one river" seems like being deliberately obtuse too. If one river was that bad, it was just the tip of the iceberg in terms of how much sludge was being dumped everywhere.

I admit guilty to this.  I overreact, because it's really annoying that I'm always presented with this one example of a single thing that used to be worse, whenever I try to talk about the dire state of the environment today.

As for the debate at hand, I can't find a good single source of information on this, but there is lots of commentary that environmental activism in the U.S. has severely declined in the last 20 years.  To be concerned with anything more than recycling and switching to a different kind of lightbulb is considered politically radical, and to engage in any kind of direct action on the subject gets you officially labeled as a terrorist.  The only notable example we have recently is obstruction of the Keystone XL pipeline.

It seems to me the issue is visible signs of environmental damage have been shunted away from first-hand visibility by populations with political power.  We're still doing all the same damages, but they're exported to other places.  We didn't get rid of the Love Canal, it was just re-located to Guiyu.  This wouldn't have been practical prior to the globalization of the last 50 years, and I wonder just how much clean-up we would have seen within the U.S. in this same period otherwise.

In other words, there's no pressure on politicians in the U.S. to care anymore.  There was pressure back in the period you've brought up, because people's daily lives were being directly effected and there was grassroots action on this.  There were significant protests over the Love Canal, and rising awareness of river pollution was one of the main driving forces behind the assembling of Earth Day, which pre-dated the Clean Water Act with 20 million Americans involved in demonstrations.  In Central Park, NY alone, participants numbered around a million.  And this is when the U.S. population was 2/3 what it is now.  While Earth Day has since grown to boast impressive international numbers, there has not been any comparable environmental demonstration within the U.S. since that I can dig up anything on.

I'll say it again:  show me a candidate that professes to make the environment a priority, and I will enthusiastically vote for them.  But I posit that such a candidate will be incredibly rare until we see a resurgence of mass demonstrations or threat of significant direct action applying tangible pressure on politicians to care, and that will be the real driver of change.  Voting matters only after public pressure forces political players to put action on the table.  Every single time.

A good example is the current issue of police militarization.  For most of Obama's tenure, federal administration influence has overseen this issue getting continually worse.  But only after it's become the subject of many, many protests and some riots, Obama has begun efforts to reverse the trend.  On the surface at least (I just started reading into it), this looks like a clear case of change being initiated by pressure, without any influence thus far by vote.

And there is plenty of direct action environmentalism in developing countries, but it's extremely dangerous business.  Literally hundreds of environmental activists are murdered and assassinated every year, and they aren't normally killed in confrontations initiated by the environmentalists.  They're killed in organized attacks.  That kind of thing doesn't happen to people who don't pose a threat of making a difference, and U.S. businesses are complicit in plenty of it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 01:50:44 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13173 on: May 30, 2015, 11:37:22 pm »

Bad news: the answer might be Rocky Mountain spotted fever.  :-\
*wonders why that sounds familiar* *wikis* "Tick-based... tick typhus... rate of... ah"

Uh. May you not be the 3-5%. Just... throwing that out there. Best of luck. The odds are with you!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13174 on: May 30, 2015, 11:39:23 pm »

I'm terrified that I thought I misclicked on the politics thread for three pages straight.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13175 on: May 31, 2015, 01:22:35 am »

Is... is it over? Is the derail finally over?
* Yoink ventures cautiously out from his bomb shelter and looks around.

...Huh.
Well, I still don't vote despite being threatened with fines! So there!
...Although I should really enroll to vote sometime soon. There's just so much paperwork involved.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #13176 on: May 31, 2015, 01:37:16 am »

What does the Australian government actually do?

The UK is privatising everything, the US is being the US, China is doing its slave-related economic expansion, NZ is spending millions on a new flag, France is flailing about miserably, and Russia is invading everyone in the immediate vicinity... but what's Australia doing? Anything?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13177 on: May 31, 2015, 01:39:14 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNwgjVzkT-I

tl;dr send back the boats

also i've heard their people in power think computer programming is a worthless job, my kind of politicians

also iirc something funny about oil

seriously everything i've heard about australian politics is hilarious
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 01:44:48 am by Putnam »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13178 on: May 31, 2015, 01:50:08 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNwgjVzkT-I

This... was mesmerizing.  I'm worried that video might have planted post-hypnotic suggestions in me.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13179 on: May 31, 2015, 01:51:36 am »

do you want to try buttered chicken now

because i do

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13180 on: May 31, 2015, 01:52:58 am »

*checks Torani's website for buttered chicken flavor to add to Soylent*
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13181 on: May 31, 2015, 02:11:22 am »

dear god it's like he was speaking another language

* Descan votes Liberal

wait, i'm in canada
shit
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13182 on: May 31, 2015, 02:41:19 am »

Australian politics was much more normal until 18 months ago. Tony Abbott was only elected in September 2013, and he's already faced leadership challenges from within his own party. The only reason he got elected was that the other party slumped due to ongoing issues from the global financial crisis, and it's a two party system. Sadly, there was also a sensible candidate for the leadership of Abbott's party who lost out by a single party vote, leaving us with Mr Nutjob in control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV97uJ29SiE

Malcolm Turnbull is the rival leadership candidate who lost out on the leadership ballot by one fucking vote. And he supports environmental regulation, is pro-republic and wants to legalize gay marriage:
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/malcolm-turnbull-australia-out-of-step-on-gay-marriage-20131215-2zfbu.html

This shows how right-wing the USA is in general. In Australia, our right-wing party has a major faction which is further left-wing than the Democrats. But the other half of that party are the same as typical Republicans.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 02:57:00 am by Reelya »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13183 on: May 31, 2015, 05:32:33 am »

What does the Australian government actually do?

The UK is privatising everything, the US is being the US, China is doing its slave-related economic expansion, NZ is spending millions on a new flag, France is flailing about miserably, and Russia is invading everyone in the immediate vicinity... but what's Australia doing? Anything?

I think they granted human rights to cartoon characters (which is frankly even crazier than the Roman emperor Caligula making his horse a senator)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13184 on: May 31, 2015, 05:53:39 am »

Waifus have rights too
Pages: 1 ... 877 878 [879] 880 881 ... 1420