Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 872 873 [874] 875 876 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1975700 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #13095 on: May 29, 2015, 02:50:21 pm »

Yep. For a lot of people, it's during work hours. :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13096 on: May 29, 2015, 02:52:56 pm »

I think there are laws in most places about work hours having to budge during elections. I might be wrong, though.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13097 on: May 29, 2015, 03:21:37 pm »

I think there are laws in most places about work hours having to budge during elections. I might be wrong, though.
Nowhere in the US - instead they set things up so that the polls would be open long enough to easily do it before or after work, not anticipating an era where far too many people have to work 12+ hour days or two jobs just to get by.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13098 on: May 29, 2015, 03:36:14 pm »

Here it's a saturday which is an obvious solution & even if your away or working you can absentee vote or postal vote. Sounds a little like the US system is set up to make something that's actually fairly easy harder then it needs to be.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 03:37:59 pm by wobbly »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #13099 on: May 29, 2015, 03:49:54 pm »

Eh. The US government is made up of asses.

And elephants. And some gun wielding maniacs riding said animals.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13100 on: May 29, 2015, 03:52:51 pm »

Here it's a saturday which is an obvious solution & even if your away or working you can absentee vote or postal vote. Sounds a little like the US system is set up to make something that's actually fairly easy harder then it needs to be.

Thirty years ago, voting was incredibly easy - just stop by the elementary school on your way home from work, or on the way to work and you'd be in and out in a matter of minutes. Nowadays, it's not uncommon for somebody to go to work before the polls open and stay there until after they close, or have to drive thirty or forty minutes in the opposite direction to get to work, or to have to leave one job and rush to another with no time for stopping and voting. There's a growing movement to make Election Day a federally mandated holiday where most businesses would be obligated to close, which is the only solution that would really address the problem - lots of people work all day Saturday, Sunday, or both.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #13101 on: May 29, 2015, 06:57:20 pm »

In NZ, elections are on a Saturday. You can vote from anywhere in the country, including embassies in foriegn countries.
If that's not possible, you can vote in a myriad of other ways, including by post, up to two weeks before the actual election date.
Ultimately, there's no excuse. But we still only get 75% turnout. Probably because all the parties suck.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13102 on: May 29, 2015, 08:43:49 pm »

Last fall I found out that most of the people I work with don't vote. Great stuff.

The fact that so few people vote in most places is still quite weird to me. I mean here it's just compulsory, so everyone votes.

That's pretty stupid. How many people are really informed about the issues? I bet it's not everybody.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13103 on: May 29, 2015, 08:45:54 pm »

Sounds a little like the US system is set up to make something that's actually fairly easy harder then it needs to be.
From what I've heard, this is basically what 99% of the US government does.

It's the basis of our constitution. "Checks and balances" basically refers to that concspt as applied to the government itself.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13104 on: May 29, 2015, 08:52:49 pm »

Convince me that a candidate is worth voting for on any basis other than being the lesser of two evils, and I will vote for them.  Argument must be based on serious evidence like a track record of verifiable actions aligning with the candidate's proposed platform, and platform must align with more than a small portion of my political interests.  Voting on any other basis is shooting in the dark, and I don't understand why anyone would do it.  I'm rarely aware of a candidate that qualifies for my vote on this basis, but then I'm also not going to dedicate 100% of my free time to researching political candidates in the desperate search for any worth voting for.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13105 on: May 29, 2015, 09:00:59 pm »

Ech, as I said, I know one person who did for philosophical reasons. Our ancestors didn't shower or bathe, and they survived just fine.
They also had child mortality rates up around 80%, and many of them suffered from horrible diseases brought about by uncleanliness. (And they spent much more time out in the rain than we do :P).

Valid, but not as important to the matter as the fact that they didn't have medicine that actually worked either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_of_Sinope
Note that living a life of pseudo-poverty in the great outdoors doesn't mean not taking care of yourself. You could just as easily bathe in the river for free when you are poor as when you are rich.

Well he was also known for pissing and spitting on things and I think he got arrested for taking a dump in a theater.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13106 on: May 29, 2015, 09:42:35 pm »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:15:41 pm by penguinofhonor »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13107 on: May 29, 2015, 09:54:08 pm »

Convince me that a candidate is worth voting for on any basis other than being the lesser of two evils, and I will vote for them.  Argument must be based on serious evidence like a track record of verifiable actions aligning with the candidate's proposed platform, and platform must align with more than a small portion of my political interests.  Voting on any other basis is shooting in the dark, and I don't understand why anyone would do it.  I'm rarely aware of a candidate that qualifies for my vote on this basis, but then I'm also not going to dedicate 100% of my free time to researching political candidates in the desperate search for any worth voting for.

I'm assuming this is an argument for not voting? It seems a little perfect solutiony. Your vote is unlikely to fix American politics, but people's lives are still affected by it. If one candidate is more likely to respect my rights as an LGBT person, I'm sure going to take a little time out of my day to try and nudge the government in that direction. A shot in the dark is better than no shot at all.
I was going to say the same thing. Trying to get the lesser of two evils is better than letting the greater of the two win because you did nothing.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13108 on: May 29, 2015, 10:28:39 pm »

I'm assuming this is an argument for not voting? It seems a little perfect solutiony. Your vote is unlikely to fix American politics, but people's lives are still affected by it. If one candidate is more likely to respect my rights as an LGBT person, I'm sure going to take a little time out of my day to try and nudge the government in that direction. A shot in the dark is better than no shot at all.
I was going to say the same thing. Trying to get the lesser of two evils is better than letting the greater of the two win because you did nothing.

In the short term, yes.

In the long term, this just ensures an endless cycle of losing ground.

A shot in the dark is better than no shot at all.

Also, this makes no sense to me.  Like... seriously explain to me how.

I'm not saying a candidate has to be perfect to be worthy of my vote, but they are definitely unworthy of my vote if their representation goes against the majority of my political interests.  Supporting LGBT rights is great and that's one point in favor.  But there are many other things that I care about.  I'm not going to vote for someone who will most likely work against the majority of my interests, because they will also support just one of my interests.  It makes zero sense.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:42:30 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13109 on: May 29, 2015, 10:58:07 pm »

In the short term, yes.

In the long term, this just ensures an endless cycle of losing ground.

A shot in the dark is better than no shot at all.

Also, this makes no sense to me.  Like... seriously explain to me how.

I'm not saying a candidate has to be perfect to be worthy of my vote, but they are definitely unworthy of my vote if their representation goes against the majority of my political interests.  Supporting LGBT rights is great and that's one point in favor.  But there are many other things that I care about.  I'm not going to vote for someone who will most likely work against the majority of my interests, because they will also support just one of my interests.  It makes zero sense.

You're not voting for them. You're voting against their competitor.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 872 873 [874] 875 876 ... 1420