Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964376 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #11970 on: February 24, 2015, 12:00:50 am »

I may or may not have missed something very important and I'm flipping out.

Edit: it's next week. Safe.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 02:12:45 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11971 on: February 24, 2015, 08:55:09 pm »

I got a warning message on Kong for chat behavior.

Guess that's what happens when you spam all 3 CHAPETARS of BATTLE FOR YII.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11972 on: February 25, 2015, 12:50:11 am »

I've been doing lots of reading tonight.

Spoiler: first (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: last (click to show/hide)

S-s-s-SCIENCE. My brain hurts.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11973 on: February 25, 2015, 12:53:23 am »

Science, why you so crazyawesome?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11974 on: February 25, 2015, 12:57:23 am »

The AI articles were so cool it makes me want to completely change college majors and try to contribute to the AI thing. Also crazy to think it's some possibly huge world changing event which we may actually live to see. Suddenly I'm not jealous of future generations probably getting all the cool space travel and galactic colonization.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11975 on: February 25, 2015, 01:36:47 am »

This is what I think of the Fermi Paradox:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1776#comic

EDIT:
Another good analogy would be the enormous number of  (in retrospect) incredibly ignorant and nonsensical statements and speculations that Aristotle made over the course of his lifetime based on little or no data.
Similarly neither Dr.Fermi nor Dr.Drake were in any position to speculate about the relative likelihood of extraterrestrial life developing; the jury's still out on whether it was even likely that it devdloped here.

EDIT:

Consider this: Earth's earliest radio signals have only had the time to travel well under 1/100th of the way across the Milky Way Galaxy, not that it matters anyway as they were likely already far too faint to detect without having an array of radio-telescopes pointed straight at them long before they even reached the kuiper belt
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:10:25 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11976 on: February 25, 2015, 11:05:32 am »

Also, I've gotten the impression that just abput any explanation of the Holographic Principle simple enough to be understood by the average person withput an advanced degree in physics or math consist almost entirely of highly flawed metaphors, so I wouldn't put too much stock in them.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11977 on: February 25, 2015, 11:08:15 am »

I've been doing lots of reading tonight.

Spoiler: first (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: last (click to show/hide)

S-s-s-SCIENCE. My brain hurts.
First one: There's also the possibility we're the first intelligent species, although this is INCREDIBLY unlikely.

On what do you base this estimate of probability. We have a sample size of 1, which is practically worthless.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #11978 on: February 25, 2015, 11:12:15 am »

It's not as improbable as us being the only intelligent species, but it still makes quite a large assumption. There are a ridiculous number of habitable planets out there in all probability, considerin the number of stars, so saying we're the first intelligent species is a very bold assumption.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11979 on: February 25, 2015, 12:26:36 pm »

The AI articles were so cool it makes me want to completely change college majors and try to contribute to the AI thing. Also crazy to think it's some possibly huge world changing event which we may actually live to see. Suddenly I'm not jealous of future generations probably getting all the cool space travel and galactic colonization.
So, knowing it could just as easily kill us all, you want to actually make it happen faster?

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11980 on: February 25, 2015, 12:33:05 pm »

The odds of there being other sentient lifeforms in the universe: Pretty close to 100%
The odds of humanity ever making contact with them*: Pretty damn close to 0%

*assuming that FTL travel/communication is impractical.

The Fermi Paradox is not much of a paradox, really.

EDIT:
Any article quoting Ray Kurzweil is bound to leave me amused and bemused, but not worried or terrfied in the least. He's been banging on about the impending "singularity" for decades, but so far he hasn't given me any reason to take him seriously. Now it's your job to prove me wrong and prove him right: become the Creator of our Machine Overlords!       
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:00:38 pm by surqimus »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11981 on: February 25, 2015, 01:02:22 pm »

Travel probably is, but there's some hope on the communication side of things depending on how quantum entanglement shakes out. As far as intelligent AI goes, I don't trust it. Pretty much everyone who talks about it talks about it like it'd be the solution to literally all of our problems, but it sounds more and more like a pipe dream to me the more excited people get about it. What would an intelligent machine come up with that a multidisciplinary team of scientists, or a dedicated group of experts couldn't?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11982 on: February 25, 2015, 01:06:08 pm »

Superluminal travel is likely impossible according to modern science, and that is like saying that travel to the moon is impossible according to 14th century science.  Superluminal communication is already theoretically possible, and has been verified by empirical testing, but currently serves no purpose whatsoever, as it requires two identical devices and we have no cause to manufacture them.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11983 on: February 25, 2015, 01:07:09 pm »

Articles 1 and 2 detailing the "inevitability" of the creation of AI as intelligent as a human, and how quickly such AI will outpace us due to exponential advancement and achieve superintelligence levels and will basically be a like a created god that will either fundamentally change the human race or lead to extinction.

Multiplying bacteria is also exponential. One bacteria in some few weeks could achieve mass of entire planet. Scary! Except... it somehow does not happen.

This is how convincing I see this whole "expotential advancement of AI" crap so lovely spouted by various transhumanist groups that really should know better.

The odds of there being other sentient lifeforms in the universe: Pretty close to 100%
The odds of humanity ever making contact with them*: Pretty damn close to 0%
*assuming that FTL travel/communication is impractical.
You do not need FTL. You can spread around entire galaxy with speed << c in hundred milions of years. Considering galaxy is almost as old as universe - about 13 bilion years - this is a lot of time to be literally everywhere. So Fermi Paradox still stand. Why they aren't here?

My personal idea is variant of zoo hypothesis. We are in area that fulfills two conditions:
1. "Owner" of this space is pretty anal about respecting borders of his ownership.
2. "Owner" does not care very much for maintaining at least some parts of owned territory. And by "maintaining" I mean periodical genocide of anything that could potentially or actually be intelligent.

So owner will not interfere (at least not yet) and others will not dare to enter. And here we are.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11984 on: February 25, 2015, 01:09:34 pm »

The AI is actually limited by physical laws and energy requirements, by limiting its storage space and allowed power input, it would never achieve godhead.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 1420