Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1968825 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #9765 on: October 02, 2014, 11:01:32 pm »

+1 more. And what is harbstotzka?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9766 on: October 02, 2014, 11:19:08 pm »

what is harbstotzka?
The only result Google gave me was from a thousand pages back in the Homestuck thread. So of course, I noped out of there.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9767 on: October 03, 2014, 12:14:09 am »

I have to get a TB test as part of a job application. I got the injection yesterday and will be going in to get the results tomorrow.

I'm freaking out a bit because right now the injection spot has a wide slightly swollen area around it, which would mean a positive result.

Now according to that Wikipedia article I linked, most positive results are false positives, and I do have a bunch of excuses such as the neighbour's cat rubbing itself on me and wearing long sleeves which could irritate it. Still, even a false positive would probably mean at best more tests. I'm just hoping it'll die down before tomorrow if I leave it alone.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9768 on: October 03, 2014, 12:19:33 am »

I've gotten those test, and they even also swelled up.

Don't have TB, though.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9769 on: October 03, 2014, 12:27:11 am »

...Do you ever get the overwhelming sensation that you just died in an alternate reality?

Like, completely out of nowhere?
It happens enough to the point I can actually feel how it ended at the last moments (I apparently get stabbed through the heart from the back alot; a literal case of back-stabbing; and a damn-slow stab while at it, as if I was being mocked in the process); like a like a dream after-image. After the horror's over, I generally give a one-liner of sorts, not out of place of Space Quest.

Death is a weird topic for me. I've even had dreams that take place post-mortem, and characters there not giving a shit about it, with comments akin to "Did you die again?". Hell, even a crew I had in another recurring dreamverse holds bets and drinking games because I die so often. The more creative the ending, the higher the pay. Apparently I'm connected to things that don't take things seriously (anymore). On that note, what scares me more than death is surviving just before reaching that threshold, and being stuck there without the sweet embrace of mercy called death. That's a punishment I only reserve for Hell, and with immortality triggered and stuck at that point, but without any healing factor either, and no pain relief (and for certain masochists, no pleasure from it either), is a punishment I only reserve for the worst; like the kind willing to spill blood (or sacrifice souls or whatever) for immortality at any cost, especially if the reason isn't in any way noble at all. Simply put, that's a fate I only reserve for the worst of the worst of the absolute variety.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:30:14 am by Itnetlolor »

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9770 on: October 03, 2014, 12:30:08 am »

...Do you ever get the overwhelming sensation that you just died in an alternate reality?

It happens enough to the point I can actually feel how it ended at the last moments; like a like a dream after-image. After the horror's over, I generally give a one-liner of sorts, not out of place of Space Quest.

Death is a weird topic for me. I've even had dreams that take place post-mortem, and characters there not giving a shit about it, with comments akin to "Did you die again?". Hell, even a crew I had in another recurring dreamverse holds bets and drinking games because I die so often. The more creative the ending, the higher the pay. Apparently I'm connected to things that don't take things seriously (anymore). On that note, what scares me more than death is surviving just before reaching that threshold, and being stuck there without the sweet embrace of mercy called death. That's a punishment I only reserve for Hell, and with immortality triggered and stuck at that point, but without any healing factor either, and no pain relief (and for certain masochists, no pleasure from it either), is a punishment I only reserve for the worst; like the kind willing to spill blood (or sacrifice souls or whatever) for immortality at any cost, especially if the reason isn't in any way noble at all. Simply put, that's a fate I only reserve for the worst of the worst of the absolute variety.
That's actually pleasant in my opinion compared to the sheerly terrifying thing that is nonexistence.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9771 on: October 03, 2014, 12:31:20 am »

It happens enough to the point I can actually feel how it ended at the last moments; like a like a dream after-image. After the horror's over, I generally give a one-liner of sorts, not out of place of Space Quest.

That's actually pleasant in my opinion compared to the sheerly terrifying thing that is nonexistence.
Want some paranoia fuel? What if we were part of something greater's dream, and they suddenly woke up? What then be of our existence?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9772 on: October 03, 2014, 12:35:16 am »

You wouldn't actually experience nonexistence though. You wouldn't be able to, you wouldn't exist. At all.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9773 on: October 03, 2014, 01:38:19 am »

Want some paranoia fuel? What if we were part of something greater's dream, and they suddenly woke up? What then be of our existence?
It would basically just be the same as regular death, only more demeaning.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9774 on: October 03, 2014, 01:42:33 am »

I wonder if every time you dream, a person somewhere think about that.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9775 on: October 03, 2014, 01:46:04 am »

I wonder if every time you dream, a person somewhere think about that.
Sounds probable. Then again, I have an alternative mindset of everything has a 50/50 chance of happening regardless, provided we exist in an infinite multiverse. Oddly enough, that would then mean all existence is in binary.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9776 on: October 03, 2014, 08:28:05 am »

@Itnetlolor: I've actually had that feeling before... Like witnessing your own death, only it felt like it had happen to some kind of past-me, like a prior incarnation.
Only I got stabbed from behind in the lower back, not the heart. (And then got thrown/shoved over the port side of a ship)
It felt very real, not like these other ones, which are just a fleeting feeling. (I've only ever talked about that experience with one other person before, but in that... "vision" I could see details, like the knots in wood planks, and the feeling of a breeze, when you normally don't in dreams)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9777 on: October 03, 2014, 09:58:05 am »

My feelings are closer to, if it was a probable ending for me, I can experience where it would go wrong, and how (Sorta Final Destination-like, except Death is far less a dick about it; keeping me alive is more punishment to me than killing me outright). Like if I avoid a car accident, I feel the impact of said accident once the realization sets in. Kinda hard to keep composure when your (sub-)consciousness suddenly shifts by 30-odd mph laterally while moving a similar speed forward focused on the road.

If not for being so blase about death, it would disturb me. It's more an inconvenience, if anything. Then again, if you die nearly everyday subconsciously like that, you learn to tune it out alot. Personally, if/when I actually die, I want to be witness to something awesome, like an end of times that is worthy of being published (like the kickstarter game of Human Resources (thanks Happy Thread)).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:04:44 am by Itnetlolor »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9778 on: October 03, 2014, 10:03:48 am »

I think those experiences are classified as Near-Death Experience (Which doesn't actually require you to be close to dying).

But then again, NDEs are usually characterized by making people feel happy.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:05:19 am by Objective »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9779 on: October 03, 2014, 10:07:07 am »

It's weird when you're far enough away from the catastrophe from actually being within probability and it still triggers. I think something wants to shake my confidence up, or remind me that death is but a knock or a blink away.

Uh... you're doing this to a gamer who dies all the time in the games they play. I doubt it's effective whatever you are. And if it's a means of harassment or bullying, what are you so scared of me for? What is it about me, or can I do that terrifies the supernatural so much? Not giving a shit?
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 1420