Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964723 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #6690 on: March 08, 2014, 12:51:18 pm »

Hey, if my brother on the same network as me got himself banned from these forums, would I get banned too?
Only if Toady assumes his account is an alt of yours.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: March 08, 2014, 12:56:41 pm »

Hey, if my brother on the same network as me got himself banned from these forums, would I get banned too?
Okay. Just wondering because he got banned from Urist McStation on SS13 and because of that I can no longer access the server either (sent PM to rabidgam3r about that).
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6692 on: March 08, 2014, 02:26:19 pm »

Standing up and five seconds later being sitting down again with no idea how you got there. Think I bashed my head on the way down, too. And clipped my arm on something sharp. Blood pressure tests as 108/52. Dammit, system, sort yourself out!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: March 08, 2014, 02:39:47 pm »

Okay. Just wondering because he got banned from Urist McStation on SS13 and because of that I can no longer access the server either (sent PM to rabidgam3r about that).

It was presumably an IP range ban. Very useful for dealing with ban-dodgers, but hurts regular people who happen to have an idiot using the same network.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: March 09, 2014, 12:26:48 pm »

I gazed into Nietzsche's mustache and it gazed back at me. *shudder*

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: March 09, 2014, 05:27:09 pm »

Well... if you believe that god intentionally designed every aspect of the universe with perfect knowledge of how it would all play out in his grand design, then god is ultimately responsible for all death.  Can't beat that.

Not everyone's a Calvinist, you know...
And then my view wandered left, to FJ's avatar... Made my day.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: March 10, 2014, 03:27:31 am »

So uh. I live in a fairly quiet neighborhood and.

I'm pretty sure I just heard two barks of gunfire.

Could have been a car backfiring, I am in Idaho. But a backfiring car does not sound like the pop of a mortar shell.

...Could be fireworks but who'd set those off at 1:30 in the morning?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: March 10, 2014, 05:51:17 am »

Isn't that the usual time for drunken fireworks? ???
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: March 10, 2014, 09:32:57 am »

So even though I'm an atheist, I was went to a catholic middle school, mostly because the public schools in the area were pretty bad.
Anyways, according to the religion teacher there, most of the Old Testament is supposed to be metaphorical. According to her, the only part of the bible that was actually supposed to have taken place was the New Testament. I have no idea if that's actually true about Catholicism or whether that's just her personal beliefs, but when I hear some of the more rational thinking I'm a bit less anti-religion.
Atheist here.  Went to Catholic school from K through high school.  I would note that there is certainly a wide range of what percentage of the bible people take literally, but the OT=metaphor, NT=true split is fairly common from my perceptions.  But even with that view, you still have gems like Jesus cursing a fig tree for not producing figs out of season.

On topic to both this discussion and this thread, earlier this year I had a bit of a revelation that we really don't know what anything is. We hear far fetched theories and scoff at them, but we really have no way of knowing if they're actually true. We know the structure of matter, from molecules to atoms to subatomic particles, which are made up of quarks, which are regulated by bosons, but we don't know what quarks or bosons are. We really have no idea how far the structure goes. We simply cannot disprove these strange theories, since we don't know how the universe was created. We know there was a big bang, but we don't know why.
Yet.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: March 10, 2014, 01:06:09 pm »

Kittens, man. Those are freakin' scary.

Nah, kidding. But seriously:

You know what's terrifying? I'm typing this from a school library computer, and looking about, like half the "new!" books in the library I see are Twilight imitators (read: crap teen supernatural fantasy-romance). It's just sad what is happening to literature.

Apologies if you're a twilight fan or something.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6700 on: March 10, 2014, 01:11:29 pm »

Where I come from, they put all of those on a shelf labeled "Paranormal Romance" and no-one has to look at them if they don't want to. This means that I see the normal throughput of fantasy, there's just a whole new genre with (thankfully) a whole new set of writers off to one side.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: March 10, 2014, 01:14:37 pm »

Where I come from, they put all of those on a shelf labeled "Paranormal Romance" and no-one has to look at them if they don't want to. This means that I see the normal throughput of fantasy, there's just a whole new genre with (thankfully) a whole new set of writers off to one side.

Lucky.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: March 10, 2014, 01:34:08 pm »

Kittens, man. Those are freakin' scary.

Nah, kidding. But seriously:

You know what's terrifying? I'm typing this from a school library computer, and looking about, like half the "new!" books in the library I see are Twilight imitators (read: crap teen supernatural fantasy-romance). It's just sad what is happening to literature.

Apologies if you're a twilight fan or something.
At my local Barnes & Nobles, there's a full section devoted to "Teen Supernatural Romance". Also, they prominently displayed 50 Shades of Gray right in front of it.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: March 10, 2014, 01:37:05 pm »

Just had a dream which ended with me having some sort of out-of-body experience, looking on helplessly as my physical self lay on the floor dying.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: March 10, 2014, 01:39:35 pm »

So even though I'm an atheist, I was went to a catholic middle school, mostly because the public schools in the area were pretty bad.
Anyways, according to the religion teacher there, most of the Old Testament is supposed to be metaphorical. According to her, the only part of the bible that was actually supposed to have taken place was the New Testament. I have no idea if that's actually true about Catholicism or whether that's just her personal beliefs, but when I hear some of the more rational thinking I'm a bit less anti-religion.
I don't actually think it actually makes religion more palatable. It seems to me that they are just taking the parts of the Bible (or any other holy book) that don't agree with their worldview/reality out, so they can believe whatever they want no matter the evidence to the contrary. Even if we manage to conclusively disprove (using time machines or whatever) 99% of everything in the bible, they can just claim that all those parts are metaphor.

Whats that? We have proved the world is far over 6000 years old? Well then, obviously the world being only 6000 years old is just a metaphor. Of course, every other thing in the Bible is still meant literally (until its proved false beyond a shadow of a shadow of a doubt).

It just seems intellectually dishonest to me. Instead of abandoning their whole view once it has been proven false (since even a single inaccuracy in a infallible book would mean that it isn't infallible at all), they abandon the parts that are proven false and claim that they were always false, while everything else remains true.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 1420