Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964888 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #6555 on: February 16, 2014, 04:47:00 pm »

Shit like that is why I want to develop methods to basically extract minds from their squishy brain and body.

So we don't have to deal with bullshit like THAT.

Sure, sometimes our robo-bodies will malfunction, but nothing to THAT extreme, and we can always dump the core into a new body if need be. :v
DO IT DESCAN. Our robo-bodies shall explore the stars someday, and I'd like to be there.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: February 16, 2014, 04:52:38 pm »

It's estimated that 2500 people have had this disease.

Don't get me wrong, it's horrifying. But it's also pretty scary not remembering who your grandchildren are on a day - to - day basis and FAR more people have that.  :-\

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: February 16, 2014, 04:58:52 pm »

Shit like that is why I want to develop methods to basically extract minds from their squishy brain and body.

So we don't have to deal with bullshit like THAT.

Sure, sometimes our robo-bodies will malfunction, but nothing to THAT extreme, and we can always dump the core into a new body if need be. :v
DO IT DESCAN. Our robo-bodies shall explore the stars someday, and I'd like to be there.

MY ROBO-BODY IS READY.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: February 16, 2014, 05:08:28 pm »

Well if I can get into fucking University, that's step one.

:I

I'm HOPING I just dealt with a moron on the phone and can get a true answer.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6559 on: February 16, 2014, 05:23:07 pm »

It's estimated that 2500 people have had this disease.

Don't get me wrong, it's horrifying. But it's also pretty scary not remembering who your grandchildren are on a day - to - day basis and FAR more people have that.  :-\
Mmh. Alzheimers is a pretty big personal concern of mine, because there's a family history. And far more common that only having being had by 2500 out of somewhere in the region of 100000000 people.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6560 on: February 16, 2014, 08:38:11 pm »

Plus it's genetic, so it might become fixable rather soon.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: February 16, 2014, 08:42:03 pm »

Plus it's genetic, so it might become fixable rather soon.

I doubt genetic modification to cure diseases will ever become widespread any time soon.Too many people believing it'll lead to eugenics or is tampering in God's domain. It seems that people will have to suffer these diseases, because hitler.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: February 16, 2014, 08:57:08 pm »

Only way that'll happen is if they get legislative cont-

* Descan looks at the Stem-Cell debate in the U.S.

Well shit.

AT LEAST WE GOT EURO-

* Descan looks at the GMO food's debate in Europe

well we're fucked
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: February 16, 2014, 09:04:50 pm »

Nah, I can pretty much guarantee you that once the field gets just a little more developed in regards to practical applications a lot of the bullshitting is going to pipe down. Sorts of folks railing against it are borderline notorious for how quickly they change their tune once they're actually able to benefit from whatever they're railing against.

Mind you, they're also borderline notorious for still railing against whatever they've targeted after they benefit from it, but eh. Actions speak louder, etc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: February 16, 2014, 09:16:38 pm »

But, Frumple... GMO food has been around for decades, and it's already incredibly practical. Nobody has really piped down. In fact, feels like they've been ramping up in recent years.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: February 16, 2014, 09:17:30 pm »

Never understood the whole 'GMOS ARE POISON!' idea, really. They test for poisons and toxins that may be produced by the modified plant. If they do not detect any, and there are some, they found a whole new one that we never knew about, so they'd take steps to avoid making those poisons again. And said poisons would probably already be being used in foods.
BUT THE EARTH MOTHER IS SACRED! TECHNO-FASCISTS WILL CONTROL OUR MINDS!

Yeah, I never got that either. The 'releasing stuff into the environment' bit, maybe, but we can kinda estimate the risks involved in that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6566 on: February 16, 2014, 09:34:37 pm »

I don't have a problem with GMO in principle... but it doesn't seem to mix well with intellectual property and profit-seeking motives.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: February 16, 2014, 09:44:19 pm »

But, Frumple... GMO food has been around for decades, and it's already incredibly practical. Nobody has really piped down. In fact, feels like they've been ramping up in recent years.
*scratches head* And how has actual implementation and use been going? I ask because the last time I checked, a great deal of the negatives surrounding GMO food are arising because the folks making money off it are doing so well they can throw a ton of weight around.

Part of the ramp up against 'em (them being bastards like Monsanto) is because of the shady crap they're doing on the side, so t'speak, so far as I'm aware largely because they're being emboldened by success :-\

Still, with GMO food stuff there's conceptually other options. Not so much with medical applications. Folks get a lot quieter when going with it is the difference between cousin timmy getting hit with flesh to stone or not.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: February 16, 2014, 09:53:39 pm »

Well, considering that we'd only be able to feed 4 billion of the current 7 billion people on earth if we turned over like, every possible arable land on Earth to (organic) farming, it's been going pretty well. Even if you just took out GMO and kept all the other efficient farming methods, it'd still be a tough order to feed everyone.

And no, there's two camps to the GMO negatives. One is the people developing/selling them, the other is the actual GM itself. And yes, Monsanto is a dick, though not as bad as some of the worst claims. But for the other, "It's not natural/unsafe/untested/playing-god!", they're both absurd on the face of them (for the unnatural/playing-god bit) and flat-out wrong for the unsafe and untested, since they're like... the most tested god-damn things we have now-adays. 2000 different studies, IIRC the number, on their safety, with no significant numbers of them saying they're bad. (Of course you'll get one or two outlier studies, but the more rigorous ones all agree)

So yeah, making more climate-resistant and more nutrient-rich foods are both excellent, and well-founded (just look at golden rice) implementations of GMO. :v And I GUESS conceptually it can feel like there are other options, since it's such a huge problem, you know, feeding the whole world. But practically, there really isn't the option to NOT use GM.

But average joe-shmo on the street doesn't think in those terms, and all they hear is "Monsanto is evil! GMO is tampering with nature! We're all going to die!" and they think GMO is all evil with no good reason to use it at all. Think it's fucking poison or something, like we're fucking sticking cyanide-producing genes into wheat for the lulz or something.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:58:59 pm by Descan »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: February 16, 2014, 10:08:36 pm »

Is it wrong of me to point out that we've basically been gene-modding crops since the very first hunter-gatherers began domestication? Sure, it wasnt in a high-tech lab, but for thousands of years we've been breeding plants and animals for things like better yields, faster growing times, etc.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 1420