Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1963868 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #6465 on: February 12, 2014, 12:51:50 pm »

Man when I imagine a winter storm "Safe Haven" I think of an alpine lodge of elaborately carved wood, icicles hanging all the way down from the eaves, all the windows frosty but cheerily lit from inside, dormer windows in the steep roof, and every chimney smoking with the scent of pine, crunchy bread, and roasted meat. An icy creek flows beside and a deer is eating moss from the roof of the woodshed.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: February 12, 2014, 04:11:21 pm »

First thing that came to mind for me was the base in an amusingly B-grade apocalypse movie I watched recently, where the world was stuck in permanent winter and a few tribes of people lived huddled underground cultivating hydroponic gardens in these weird facilities full of pipes and vents.

...Anyway, terrified? Today's the day, going to meet up with friends- some of whom I haven't seen in a long time- and try not to make a fool of myself. Eep.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: February 12, 2014, 04:26:49 pm »

First thing that came to mind for me was the base in an amusingly B-grade apocalypse movie I watched recently, where the world was stuck in permanent winter and a few tribes of people lived huddled underground cultivating hydroponic gardens in these weird facilities full of pipes and vents.

...Anyway, terrified? Today's the day, going to meet up with friends- some of whom I haven't seen in a long time- and try not to make a fool of myself. Eep.

That sounds very familiar. What was it called?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: February 12, 2014, 04:38:01 pm »

I am going to spend 1000 euros in a minute and I just have to hope the internetmen will actually give me my computer components Dx

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: February 12, 2014, 05:02:50 pm »

If you use paypal, can't you cancel the payments if you don't get the parts?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: February 12, 2014, 05:05:56 pm »

I'm just using my bank account?

I never understood why paypal exists, if you can just iDEAL. Unless that's just a Dutch thing which sounds somewhat implausible. Okay never mind that.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: February 12, 2014, 05:07:55 pm »

Oh god enough ice to make power go out twice before I woke up...

send help
2ice4iceblaster.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: February 12, 2014, 05:10:55 pm »

What does ice have to do with the power? Do the kilowatts freeze?
Tree limbs get covered in water, than a sheet of ice. The added weight, plus the brittleness of the cold, often leaves to branches or even entire trees falling down, which can lead to power outages if it lands on a line.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: February 12, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »

That's not a problem if the lines are maintained properly, as in, there's a clear space around the powerlines and any trees/branches that get dangerously close are cut down before causing damage. The real problem is said ice weighing down on the powerlines themselves, and in extreme cases taking down power poles themselves.

Speaking of fucking terrifying, these guys man, these fucking crazy ass guys, goddamned russian made balls of steel!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 06:07:43 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: February 12, 2014, 07:09:42 pm »

Speaking of fucking terrifying, these guys man, these fucking crazy ass guys, goddamned russian made balls of steel!
How does someone convince another person to do that?
Offering an average Chinese construction wage, maybe?
I like to think that I'm not too afraid of heights, but watching that video fullscreen made my stomach clench.
Also, I've always found the idea of vertically remote locations(such as when you're above the clouds like in that video, or when hearing about the exploration of especially deep caves) to be simultaneously scary and oddly alluring.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: February 12, 2014, 07:11:49 pm »

I like to think that I'm not too afraid of heights, but watching that video fullscreen made my stomach clench.
Also, I've always found the idea of vertically remote locations(such as when you're above the clouds like in that video, or when hearing about the exploration of especially deep caves) to be simultaneously scary and oddly alluring.
I don't mind caves, quite like them in fact, but being high up frightens me terribly. Because I know it would be so easy to slip and be dead. Even though I can balance just as well as if there was no drop at all (assuming wind isn't a factor).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: February 12, 2014, 07:15:23 pm »

There is always a good excuse to keep your feet on the ground. Preferably ground that is nearly the same level as the surrounding ground.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: February 12, 2014, 08:21:07 pm »

I don't mind caves, quite like them in fact, but being high up frightens me terribly. Because I know it would be so easy to slip and be dead. Even though I can balance just as well as if there was no drop at all (assuming wind isn't a factor).
I seem to have mild claustrophobia and not-so-mild acrophobia. By which I mean if there's a height nearby that's more than three times my height, I get an intense NOPE! coming from my brain.
So you have a fear of heights even if you aren't on them? That's a new one to me.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 1420