Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1965379 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #5970 on: December 04, 2013, 09:42:18 pm »

A scientist did a study on a post-scarcity society with mice. It ends in cannibalism, murder, OCD, excessive vanity, gluttony, and eventually completely collapse. I think it was called City 14 or Universe 14 or something?
'Tis not murder when the state sanctions it. Possibly war crimes, or just regular ol' killing. Plus we have a fair share of murder in general. Really, it's catastrophic murder we're supposed to be worried about. As in, so much murder society tips the Theban threshold and breaks apart under the sheer weight of everyone being murdered.

You're splitting hairs with the first bit, and WWIII WOULD be catastrophic murder (Or killing, if you insist on being pedantic).
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5971 on: December 04, 2013, 09:49:14 pm »

You're splitting hairs with the first bit, and WWIII WOULD be catastrophic murder (Or killing, if you insist on being pedantic).
This is catastrophic as compared to the behavioural sink.

I.e. No survivors because everyone is being murdered by everyone. And this isn't even just some country invading another or something - that would be what would be done to avoid the catastrophic murder scenario. Everyone who's anyone murdering everyone. There would simply be no recovery. Civilization would cease to exist. WWIII? More survivable.

So it's a good thing we're not mice.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: December 04, 2013, 09:50:41 pm »

R-selection species?
R-selection = Survival by massive numbers of offspring.
K-selection = Survival by high attention to few offspring.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: December 04, 2013, 10:22:34 pm »

Maybe mammals with large litters? Pigs, cats, dogs, etc. But even then, I think they care for each individually so it'd be more K than R.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: December 04, 2013, 10:22:47 pm »

Is there some sort of mid-ground there?
Not really. These are the two things that work, evolutionarily speaking. They exist in degrees, but not as a mean.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: December 04, 2013, 10:31:52 pm »

Flies, for example. Just huge masses of children that will mostly die. There was a bit of a trend for it in the middle ages and presumably somewhat before: If many of your children would die, might as well have enough to compensate. Of course, even these would have 10 children or so, and the ones that lived would presumably be appreciated.

There is actually often a problem when medicine starts substantially reducing infant mortality but cultural norms haven't caught up. It's occurring in many countries right now actually.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: December 04, 2013, 10:33:36 pm »

Anyway, my primary point is that humans are strongly K-selection, and so are much more capable of controlling population growth than mice.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: December 04, 2013, 10:52:22 pm »

Jesus fucking Christ SCP-5972-J.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: December 04, 2013, 10:58:24 pm »

Before I click over to it, bear with me: Is there a picture?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: December 04, 2013, 11:06:44 pm »

Yes, but it's only a guy's reaction to it.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: December 04, 2013, 11:44:17 pm »

I remember that there was something that happened today that I was going to put in here, but I forgot it.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: December 05, 2013, 01:49:26 am »

Before I click over to it, bear with me: Is there a picture?

-J stands for "joke"

also Imma mantle Marvin here for a second

SCP-5972-J

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: December 05, 2013, 10:41:50 am »

Was the only one on the bus going home from an exam earlier.

Then someone else got on and sat beside me. Why? There are plenty of free seats. In fact, all of them were free.

It was incredibly awkward. I wanted to put my headphones in and listen to music so that I had an excuse not to talk, but if I did they would hear my music. I don't really like it when others listen to my music. But thankfully we didn't say a word to each other the whole ride.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: December 05, 2013, 04:35:57 pm »

Was the only one on the bus going home from an exam earlier.

Then someone else got on and sat beside me. Why? There are plenty of free seats. In fact, all of them were free.

It was incredibly awkward. I wanted to put my headphones in and listen to music so that I had an excuse not to talk, but if I did they would hear my music. I don't really like it when others listen to my music. But thankfully we didn't say a word to each other the whole ride.

What is with this whole "social anxiety and not wanting others to know what you play/listen/watch"? I've had to convince my brother that he shouldn't be embarrassed of playing Skyrim publicly, if "publicly" means "in front of your own brother".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5984 on: December 05, 2013, 04:47:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a thing. People buy it to force others to stay away from them.

Logic of such a thing aside...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Actually, no. The logic is fucking horrendous.

However, I'm not all that afraid of the notion of human porcupines commuting within eye's reach.

No, I am afraid of what happens next. What if these become popular?

Some people begin buying them in order to counter all those who don the spikes.

Until someone starts wearing actual armour.

Then the arms race begins.

The cat spikes soon get replaced with splintered wood spikes to counter kevlar fencing suits and leather biker jackets. People begin upgrading their armours with chainmail and segments of random bolted metal. Gangs form with people driving rival uniformed commuters off with travel pikes and cuirasses to counter their now newly-forged steel spikes.

Then someone gets high-tech.

People striding around in mechanized suits, impervious to all but power spikes on their daily travels. People begin engineering super-human commuters and start invading other stations to control trade routes. The train lines become the new silk road, Empires start forming on these lines of wealth. Incentives to start developing more and more powerful armours increase as the factions begin consolidating their power.

And then it happens. Something ticks. The factions fight. Globally, an international linked railway with every Empire fighting one another for supremacy.

Two outcomes are possible. Global devastation...

...Or the reign of the God-Armour of mankind begins.
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 1420