Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1965490 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #5955 on: December 04, 2013, 11:17:06 am »

Chemistry test results will be given out tomorrow. I need to pass this one to not fail. Terror.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: December 04, 2013, 11:19:40 am »

Meet the Engraved Hourglass nebula.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: December 04, 2013, 11:26:48 am »

That's why I call it Space-Sauron.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: December 04, 2013, 11:53:51 am »

The concept that there will be no jobs in the future except for IQ 420 engineers is terrifying.

I gotta stop reading doom and gloom economic forecasts created to get page hits.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5959 on: December 04, 2013, 12:26:04 pm »

The concept that there will be no jobs in the future except for IQ 420 engineers is terrifying.

I gotta stop reading doom and gloom economic forecasts created to get page hits.
Alternatively this could mean we might enter the last stages of society before utopia, where other than theysto labour of engineers; almost all of our time will be able to be spent on the betterment of the mind, body and soul.

Or we just get dystopia, which is sadly the much more likely prospect.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: December 04, 2013, 08:43:18 pm »

Alternatively this could mean we might enter the last stages of society before utopia, where other than theysto labour of engineers; almost all of our time will be able to be spent on the betterment of the mind, body and soul.

Or we just get dystopia, which is sadly the much more likely prospect.

A scientist did a study on a post-scarcity society with mice. It ends in cannibalism, murder, OCD, excessive vanity, gluttony, and eventually completely collapse. I think it was called City 14 or Universe 14 or something?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5961 on: December 04, 2013, 08:48:53 pm »

A scientist did a study on a post-scarcity society with mice. It ends in cannibalism, murder, OCD, excessive vanity, gluttony, and eventually completely collapse. I think it was called City 14 or Universe 14 or something?
The behavioural sink. And technically it was a series of experiments on a post-scarcity mouse city with no expansion of living space. Imagine the population density of China on steroids with no way of applying brakes until it breaks.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: December 04, 2013, 08:56:29 pm »

The behavioural sink. And technically it was a series of experiments on a post-scarcity mouse city with no expansion of living space. Imagine the population density of China on steroids with no way of applying brakes until it breaks.

I'd be terrified if I were a mouse.  But I'm not.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: December 04, 2013, 09:14:25 pm »

The earth is only so big. Eventually we WILL run out of living space. We will probably be able to shoot the miscellaneous overflow into space at that point, mind you.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5964 on: December 04, 2013, 09:15:23 pm »

The earth is only so big. Eventually we WILL run out of living space. We will probably be able to shoot the miscellaneous overflow into space at that point, mind you.
Or the overflow shoots itself in WWIII in order to take living space from their neighbours.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: December 04, 2013, 09:17:39 pm »

He's fucking with us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: December 04, 2013, 09:17:51 pm »

No, we won't. Human population growth has been demonstrated to self-regulate. Rats can't, because they are an r-selection species. Explosive population growth is their thing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: December 04, 2013, 09:18:18 pm »

R-selection species?
He's fucking with us.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: December 04, 2013, 09:19:50 pm »

I think it's like R-Type.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5969 on: December 04, 2013, 09:22:03 pm »

'Tis not murder when the state sanctions it. Possibly war crimes, or just regular ol' killing. Plus we have a fair share of murder in general. Really, it's catastrophic murder we're supposed to be worried about. As in, so much murder society tips the Theban threshold and breaks apart under the sheer weight of everyone being murdered.
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 1420