Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1969050 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #5745 on: November 03, 2013, 09:15:53 pm »

Thankfully the wind wasn't as bad as I feared. Hopefully it will all die down by tomorrow.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: November 03, 2013, 09:54:31 pm »

I've had a couple really scary motorcycle rides in high winds before.  Especially bad when it's also raining.
:-\
Motorcycles always seemed kind of scary to drive about. Driving cars is bad enough for me. I mean sure, at low speeds they seem pretty manoeuvrable and easy to handle, but I really don't think I could handle it at higher speeds.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: November 03, 2013, 10:35:44 pm »

The homeless keep coming into the parking lot of my apartment complex and starting fires just to stay warm. This is like the fourth or fifth time the fire department has been out here in just a week. Also I had to walk by two groups of angry assholes fighting while I went to get nachos this morning. I'm just glad they didn't pull out any guns or anything because they did look like gang members.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: November 04, 2013, 12:52:18 am »

I just heard a fuckton of what sounds like automatic gunfire coming from a street that leads into a "bad part of town". It lasted like five minutes straight. I really hope those were fireworks.

Are there indians living in that area? Yesterday was Diwali, which is celebrated with fireworks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: November 04, 2013, 09:36:38 am »

I've had a couple really scary motorcycle rides in high winds before.  Especially bad when it's also raining.
Motorcycles always seemed kind of scary to drive about. Driving cars is bad enough for me. I mean sure, at low speeds they seem pretty manoeuvrable and easy to handle, but I really don't think I could handle it at higher speeds.

It's certainly not for everyone and it takes a lot of time before anyone gets really comfortable with it.  The rewards are great, though.  If you're not stupid and wear proper gear, that is.  Save time, space, and money.  Experience your surroundings more.  Makes travel feel much more meaningful.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: November 04, 2013, 12:08:50 pm »

Never had too much of a problem with that.  I did have a bee fly up inside my helmet while I was riding once.  I just calmly opened my visor and let it out.  Didn't even slow down.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: November 04, 2013, 12:12:39 pm »

It's certainly not for everyone and it takes a lot of time before anyone gets really comfortable with it.  The rewards are great, though.  If you're not stupid and wear proper gear, that is.  Save time, space, and money.  Experience your surroundings more.  Makes travel feel much more meaningful.

I'm never going to sit on something designed to move on two wheels at speeds higher than a bicycle. I lost pretty much all of the skin, including the deep layers of living cells, on my knee after a scooter I was on fell over at 40 kph, I really don't want to imagine what would happen at, say, 100 kph and I unfortunately DON'T have to imagine what happens at 200 - the answer is biker jerky.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: November 04, 2013, 12:25:48 pm »

it is simply wonderful, how we are capable of moving faster than the signals in our nerves or even faster than thoughts when it comes to space travel

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: November 04, 2013, 12:27:04 pm »

40 kph [≈ Speed of propagation for unmyelinated sensory neurons.]

You were going about as fast as a fair few nerves in your body.

Congratulations, some of your reactions were slower than you were going.

Oh yeah, just in case it needs to be clarified, I wasn't driving.

And funny thing, you don't actually feel pain until your brain decides to remind you that yes, you are hurt. I rolled a couple of meters along the road, I drove a couple of kilometers back to the hotel, and only then did it start to hurt.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: November 04, 2013, 12:52:08 pm »

I'm never going to sit on something designed to move on two wheels at speeds higher than a bicycle. I lost pretty much all of the skin, including the deep layers of living cells, on my knee after a scooter I was on fell over at 40 kph, I really don't want to imagine what would happen at, say, 100 kph and I unfortunately DON'T have to imagine what happens at 200 - the answer is biker jerky.

I had an accident at 40 mph.  I walked away from it with a slightly sprained ankle and a small scratch on my stomach, because I was wearing quality gear.  And I've since upgraded to an Aerostitch suit, which is basically a one-piece suit of padded kevlar body armor.  The only thing I really need to worry about is a high-speed collision or mangling something.  Professional sports bikers walk away uninjured from high-speed skids across concrete all the time.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: November 04, 2013, 12:56:39 pm »

I had an accident at 40 mph.  I walked away from it with a slightly sprained ankle and a small scratch on my stomach, because I was wearing quality gear.  And I've since upgraded to an Aerostitch suit, which is basically a one-piece suit of padded kevlar body armor.  The only thing I really need to worry about is a high-speed collision or mangling something.  Professional sports bikers walk away uninjured from high-speed skids across concrete all the time.

Well, yeah, but if you tried to ride a bike in full suit at 40*C in the middle of summer in Greece, you would, if you excuse the joke, turn into a can of smoked salmon. God.

* scrdest shoots himself.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: November 04, 2013, 01:16:26 pm »

Well, yeah, but if you tried to ride a bike in full suit at 40*C in the middle of summer in Greece, you would, if you excuse the joke, turn into a can of smoked salmon. God.

* scrdest shoots himself.

Heh... true... I do have a light mesh jacket that I wear when it's hot outside.  It's ballistic nylon, but I have no idea how it would really hold up.  And no leg protection.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: November 04, 2013, 01:17:09 pm »

That's why I don't see myself ever driving a bike.

The weather is either too bad or too hot. Maybe if I lived somewhere where it's always cold and dry...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: November 04, 2013, 01:35:56 pm »

Oh yeah, just in case it needs to be clarified, I wasn't driving.

I cannot help but notice that you've avoided telling us how the driver fared.

Same as me, except the side of his back absorbed most of the force instead of the knee and the right foot. His wound was much bigger in area but much more shallow, so he isn't even visibly scarred except some small spots. Plus, at the time he was almost twice as old as me (my mom's second husband, she was on another scooter).

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: November 04, 2013, 08:49:18 pm »

Crap crap crap. Downloaded MBAM and did a virus scan since I saw a supicious message earlier in the day, and then my computer suddenly shut itself off and now shuts off partway through bootup whenever I try to turn it on
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 1420